are sculpins legal for bait?

Author
runtgetter
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 72
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/11 10:44:01 (permalink)

are sculpins legal for bait?

my girlfriend works at a pool store and i got a net for skimming crap off a pool.i went to a local creek and got about 20 of em in 20 minutes.(all released)I got downstream from a large rock put the net downstream from it and lifted the rock when the dust cleared there were chubs , crayfish, and what ive identified as sculpins.ive heard these are exelent bait, but was also warned to check local laws.any help without having to contact "the man" would be nice. 

5 Replies Related Threads

Sculpin 14
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 429
    RE: are sculpins legal for bait? 2009/08/11 11:07:51 (permalink)
    I have used them for years.....they are a very durable minnow, the stay on the hook for a good bit of time due to there strong, bony lips......I have actually reeled fish in that werent even hook they were just holding on to the sculpin.....Couldnt find any thing stating that they are legal but I would say that they are a baitfish so your ok to use them.

May the holes in your net be no larger than the fish in it.

http://flickr.com/photos/fellowshipanglerleague/
    runtgetter
    Novice Angler
    RE: are sculpins legal for bait? 2009/08/13 17:53:36 (permalink)
    ive searched the book and found nothing so im going to try em and  see.Im going to go to lake erie tonight and see if i can get a walleye or two to taste these 3 inch morsels of delight.i might even try to keep some of the larvae/nymphs i found and freeze them for trout season.this all came about from an article in feild and stream one of the things that got me was a caption called"only suckers pay for bait"
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: are sculpins legal for bait? 2009/08/14 02:13:42 (permalink)
    Yes, It is legal to use sculpins for bait. It is recommended though, that you use them ( and any other baitfish or larvae ) only in the water/watershed from which the are taken. Even if the species is already present in the waters to be fished. Taking bait from watershed to another, risks the spread of any disease that might be present from one watershed to another.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: are sculpins legal for bait? 2009/08/14 22:42:16 (permalink)
    Good advice spoonie.. beat me to it.
    runtgetter
    Novice Angler
    RE: are sculpins legal for bait? 2009/08/17 15:02:53 (permalink)
    thanks guys, i apreciate it .especially with the viral hemoragic septicemia on the loose.i found these guys in mill creek(a lake erie tributary), so ill just keep using them in lake erie. I didnt make it out yet, my trailer bearing started squeeking on my way down ,and just got it fixed.so we shall see
    Jump to: