? about Edward John

Author
wrinkleneck30
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/09 21:22:16 (permalink)

? about Edward John

Thanks for those who gave me ideas for a charter. I decided to go with Edward John(cheapest available), but I have a few questions some of you might be able to answer.
-I'll be fishing Friday August 31, do you recommend calling in a reservation? Is there a chance they won't go if there aren't enough people?
-What kind of setup would I need? Jigs/hook size etc...
-Do you catch any walleye or steelhead or just perch?
Thanks
Wrinkleneck

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

16 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/09 21:39:58 (permalink)
    I'd call ahead just 2 b safe. I use a 3 hook crappy rig, size 4 hooks, 1 1/4 oz sinker. I like 2 put a fatty nightcrawler on the bottom hook....just fer the occasional walleye (caught more than a few that way) or monster sheeper. This is Erie, ya never know what ya might whack.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    The Czar
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/09 22:11:18 (permalink)
    Definitely call for a reservation - if you cancel there is no penalty - but be courteous and call them as soon as you know you are not going to make it.  Weather is more likely to cancel a trip than the number of people.  They usually go no matter how many people show up -- lately they have been busy.  Perch is what they are after - occasionally they will pick up a walleye or smallmouth -- even a sturgeon, believe or not.  Give it a try - that's the only way you will know for sure.
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/09 22:14:34 (permalink)
    I would definately consider calling ahead. I use whatever the guys on my boat leave me.....lol. Ususally the 2 hook crappy rig or the 3 hook rig. Either rig with a 1 oz. sinker, unless it is real calm than I go with a 3/4 oz. Real choppy and i like to use a 1 1/4 oz sinker. Size 6 hooks on all my rigs. Half minnows have been the ticket lately, out scoring the whole minnow 2 to 1. Hope this helps, would hate to see some1 get skunked with this awesome perchin we've been havin. Good luck!
    wrinkleneck30
    New Angler
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/09 22:43:35 (permalink)
    Do I need to bring these perch rigs or do they supply them? I was just planning on bringing my rod/reel and license. How are perch to eat anyway?

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/10 00:05:32 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: wrinkleneck30

Do I need to bring these perch rigs or do they supply them? I was just planning on bringing my rod/reel and license. How are perch to eat anyway?

I would bring your own rig....You can buy the Sabaki rigs on the boat I think or you can buy regular bait rigs here at fishusa or any local baitshop...Also need hooks and a 1oz sinker...I use the True Turn size 6 Blood Red hooks...

http://www.fishusa.com/Weldon-Perch-Rigs_p.html

Lake Erie perch are awesome to eat...The Best fish you will catch out of the lake with Walleye coming in a close second....

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/10 00:55:46 (permalink)
    Use 8 or 10lb powerpro line you can feel every nibble.
    Mono stretches and you do not notice small bites.
    #6 or #8 circle hooks.
    I prefer a 1/2 to 1 oz bank, egg or puck sinker so I can slowly retrieve without digging into the sand after casting out.

Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/10 00:58:35 (permalink)
    Call Ahead
    Liverache
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 611
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/10 01:31:10 (permalink)
    Lite to med lite graphite rod,light reel w/ 6-8 lb line(quality rod is more important then the line, mono or braided)dont go lower then 3/4oz sinker(calm day) anything smaller and you will get tangled all the time( with 30+ on board), watch the guys that are catching and do what they are doing, its amazing how stubborn some get about fishing for perch and their method that isnt working. You can also rent a set up for 3bucks and they are decent rigs, ask the crew for help too or some of the regulars ,you will know who we are, we will chime in if you arent catching or rigged wrong( I dont want to get tangled nor does anyone else).Make sure you make a reservation especially on the wekends. Have a good time

Skill is the ability to place oneself in the position to be LUCKY often
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/10 05:27:12 (permalink)
    .You can buy the Sabaki rigs on the boat

Can anyone show/tell me how to tie the sabiki rig knot. I know i can tie a dropper loop then cut one end then tie to that but the rigs i bought on the E.J. have the dropper line tied using a lighter line than the main line. I'm just not sure how it would be tied that way so it will hold.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/10 09:03:25 (permalink)
    For me, a medium light rod 6'6" to 7' equipped with some sort of super braid ( a must! ) Spreader rig two or three hook set up.  And be sure they have emerald shiners or you'll be in for a long day.  3/4 to 1 1/2 ounce weights at the bottom of the rig and you're all set.  Keep that weight right on the bottom if you can at first....If nothing happens, try lifting it up little by little until you get hits.  The bottom has been the way to go so far this year.  Oh yeah, don't forget the Labatt Blues!

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/10 10:28:30 (permalink)
    Medium/light action rod and braided line, one ounce sinker and I like the #6 truturn red hooks. We've had good luck with both emeralds and goldens lately, I will agree if you have a choice go with the emeralds but don't let goldens stop you. Heck, I was catching them on a 9.5' dipsey rod with 30# braid after my wife threw my perchin rod over the side.
    Eekie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/10 11:59:49 (permalink)
    Wrinkle - Heed what bulldog recommends for rod, line and weight. I suggest that you use the subiki rig instead of the crappie rig.  When/if the perch start to get pickey the subiki rig will out do the wire crappie rigs 10 times out of 10.  The EJ carries a ton of subiki rigs on the boat that they will sell you if you do not get a chanee to buy them at a takle shop.  The subiki rig has I believe six hooks on the rig so just cut it in half and make two rigs from one rig.  Hey BTW, I'm heading to Falmouth this week, I hear the walleye and smallies are being picked up on jigs tipped with crawlers at the power plant.

I got a bunch of French military rifles for sale...NEVER fired and only dropped once.
    wrinkleneck30
    New Angler
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/13 23:15:44 (permalink)
    I haven't been out on the river lately due to the high water.  Who knows when the hell it will drop down to 4 feet again. I'm beginning to feel that won't happen until next summer.

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/14 01:00:40 (permalink)

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/14 08:46:40 (permalink)
    Tie your own dropper rigs.  On the inland lakes, I have luck with #6 or #8 red Octopus style hooks (work for crappie and perch and gillz).  Get a 3'-4' long section of 10# fluorocarbon (Pline, Seaugar) and thread a hook on.  With the hook and the line, form a surgeon's end loop (with two overhand knots) about 8-10" from the bottom of the leader.  Depending on the hook style, you may want to thread it on from the back of the hook eye so that when you pull everything tight, the hook will lay in the loop with the point facing up. 

http://www.netknots.com/html/fishing_knots.html

You can adjust the length of the loop when you pull it tight.  Now, add another hook or two above this hook at whatever spacing you want using the above method.  You can tie a small loop or snap on the bottom to attach a weight to and tie a swivel to the top of the leader to prevent line twist when you drop her down to the depths.  If you are getting some tangles with the hook on the main leader or the hooks are riding up the loop line, you can tie an overhand knot to lock the hook onto the end of the loop.  In the surf, we'd use these to catch trout, reds, whiting and just about everything else and we'd add beads and noise makers to these as attractants.  You can add colored beads if you want but it probably isn't needed.   

I have caught just about everything with this rig and never had a breakoff except for snags. 
    Eekie
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: ? about Edward John 2009/08/16 19:12:38 (permalink)
    Wrinkle - I hear ya on the river being HIGH!  It looks like wading is out of the question this year.  As soon as the river drops it goes back up within a few days

Good luck on the EJ...

I got a bunch of French military rifles for sale...NEVER fired and only dropped once.
    Jump to: