Anyone know about the Gallatin river?

Author
Flysonly
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/08 23:13:36 (permalink)

Anyone know about the Gallatin river?

I'm going on my first fly fishing trip west in September. Was wondering if anyone here can give me some info or a site that I can study the area around West Yellowstone. Particularly interested in the Gallatin River, but any info would be appreciated. We plan on fishing the northwest portion of Yellowstone park and any thing else within a reasonable distance.

Steelhead will have to wait until November this year. I don't think I can talk my wife into back to back monthly trips...............

Thanks.

7 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Anyone know about the Gallatin river? 2009/08/10 10:38:39 (permalink)
    You may want to skip the upper Gallatin in Yellowstone for fishing.  It is extremely fast .. class 4 and 5 rapids.   I've never been to the lower river but suggest forgetting about the upper.  There is ton of water in the park.   Slough Creek is one of Yellowstone's best.  It's more North Central than Northwest.    If you stay in the Northwest part, the ride to get to the Slough is beautiful but..  the ups and downs and back and forth on that road is annoying.  If you are set in staying in the northwest part, and are into bigger water, try the Madison just outside the northwest corner.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Flysonly
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Anyone know about the Gallatin river? 2009/08/10 11:52:23 (permalink)
    First of all, thanks for you help. You mentioned big water vs. Smaller water. We actually would like to fish smaller water. (we're not into quality as much as quantity) I would much rather catch 12" - 13" average fish all day long than to catch one 2' brown.....

My brother has fished Slough in the passed but he wasn't sure what access was like on foot. (he was on horseback the last time he fished it) Do you have any pointers on smaller creeks in that area?

Thanks again

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Anyone know about the Gallatin river? 2009/08/10 12:35:56 (permalink)
    The farther you walk, the less pressure there is (surprise).   In fishing terms.. it's broken up into meadows.  Always keep in the back of your mind (and watch your back) that this is prime grizzly country.   You'd think you'd see them coming in the open meadow but that's not always so.   Don't stand there whaling yer fly pole around like a dumas.   Do lots of crouching and be a sneeky fella .. even if that means staying on the bank in the grasses.

Here's a link about the area streams.

http://www.flyfishingyellowstonenationalpark.com/streams.html

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Anyone know about the Gallatin river? 2009/08/10 14:37:21 (permalink)
    I've fished the Gallatin over the hill from where the road goes back to Slough.  I was in high school and was young and dumb, we scaled some pretty steep slopes, passed quite a few animal bones, and eventually made it down to the river.  There are some huge granite boulders down there with plunge pools in between, and we caught some cutts out of it.  It's impossible to wade, rapid like as SK mentioned and especially tough if you are wearing felt boots (i'm not sure of the regs out there now), but wet felt on granite is like walking on ice in tennis shoes.  You have to climb up and down rocks if you want to cover any water.  Doesn't get hit as hard as slough for that reason, but it's not a walk in the park so to say.  If you were to get hurt back there chances are you're really in trouble. 
    OCfisher
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Anyone know about the Gallatin river? 2009/08/11 14:44:37 (permalink)
    I have fished the Gallatin a little bit in different spots from just outside of Bozeman down to around Big Sky. it does get pressured and it's not really a big trout hot spot (from what i am told) but it seemed to be loaded with fish. Some pretty stuff, too. There are a few good shops in Bozeman that give a nice breakdown on where to go along the way.

this was the first placed i fished out west and it took a while to get used to fishing attractor patterns in the pocket water, but once you figure that out there are plenty of fish to catch.

haven't fished the strectch in the park, but the stuff i drove by looked like nice meadow/hopper water. smaller fish, i reckon.

If you are looking for smaller water with loads of fish, you may want to look at Soda Butte, in the NE corner. the lower you get (closer to the mouth) there are bigger fish. you also have the Lamar right there which is good. But if it were me i would be spending the most time on the Slough. skip the waders and save the room in the back pack for beer (or water, if you are into that kinda thing). it makes the hike in alot easier and you will be hiding in the grass most of the time anyway. Hoppers are the most fun, but streamers get attention, too.
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Anyone know about the Gallatin river? 2009/08/11 18:47:23 (permalink)
    im making my first trip to yellowstone next week with a couple buddies.

as said, never been there but a bunch of good info on the web.
    JMFLYFISHER
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Anyone know about the Gallatin river? 2009/08/15 09:17:20 (permalink)
    PM sent....

Headed there 7 September....tying hoppers this morning for the trip!
    Jump to: