YET ANOTHER motor problem !

Author
gizmos
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1190
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/08 18:05:41 (permalink)

YET ANOTHER motor problem !

I know I've been hitting you guys for alot of info,if you are realizing I'm a pain...sorry ! 4 cyl. merc cruiser (with the idle still to high ) 115hp. Three times now it has stalled when coming out of reverse,and it does not want to restart till it sits for at least 10 min. Today it did it again and sputtered once (thought I had it ) and then it just cranks. Thought it was flooding some how the 1st and 2nd time and tried throttle wide open,nothin. Tried a variety of gas setting each time to no avail. After the wait,it fires right up. The only other possible clue may be when going from idle to neutral it always sounds like its going to stall for a split second.other than that it seems to run great through all rpms. ??????????

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.

15 Replies Related Threads

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/08 18:17:00 (permalink)
    I had the same problem with my 190 horse Merc last year  It ended up being the adjustment on the shift cable......  It controls a cutout switch that's mounted on the port side of the engine....  I replaced the cable got it adjusted properly and the problem went away....

I could be wrong though  LOL 

I pm'ed you a link to download the repair manual for Merc's 
    post edited by Skip16503 - 2009/08/08 19:18:57

grimm reaper
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 186
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/08 19:17:36 (permalink)
    to me that sounds like your idle is to low not saying that for sure but one time on my boat it was idle high so i turned it down and when i would start it the motor would want to stop and putting it into reverse it would shut down
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/08 21:40:01 (permalink)
    Tighten carb to manifold, a vacuum leak will cause high idol and lean out the fuel mix.
    Look for bolts on top of carb -probably 1/2" or 9/16" socket will fit, also tighten all other screws on top of carb.

If above idea does not fix it look for a manifold leak.
    Crack open a propane torch (don't light) and move around the intake-if the rpm increases there is the leek. You can also do this at base of carb.
    Run blower while you do this.

Next test fuel pump.

BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/09 00:27:23 (permalink)
    Giz,

If it is an older style mercruiser (I would say 80's or early 90's), they have what they call "Shift assist"...Basically what it does is hits a inline switch on the shift cable and cuts out the coil momentarily stalling the engine while the clutch bites the gears in the outdrive to reduce wear....Sounds like yours is sticking....When you let it sit, do you move throttle at all to get it to start back up???

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/09 00:44:37 (permalink)
    Skip.... Thanks ! Looked at it briefly and just the blow up of the carb answered a lot for me. That is great !!
    BIGSLICK.........It's a 97 but still maybe the problem. It will start up again without touching the throttle.
    Pghmarty.... I'm going to go over everything tomorrow, the previous owner told me that he had some type of leak that he "fixed" with some jb weld. Mmmmmmmmmmmm
    Grimm..... actually my idle is to high,90% of the time, but it occasionally comes down close to where it's suppose to be.
    I'm not a betting man, but I'm leaning towards the vacuum leak.
    Again, thanks for all the help.

BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/09 00:54:23 (permalink)
    Yeah giz, you have a newer merc and they don't have that shift assist set-up..They just have sensors..Same concept though.....JB weld??? I hope it wasn't the engine block.....

Vac leak would fit your idling problems though....that wouldn't explain why it won't start after stalling out in reverse though...Next time it happens see if you can pull a plug and make sure that your getting spark...That will choose your path of troubleshooting....Can you make it stall in reverse on muffs or does it have to be under load?

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/09 02:37:21 (permalink)
    To check for spark have someone hold the end of a disconnected sparkplug wire when you crank it.

If they scream really loud you have spark.

This is often a job for a brother in law, freeloading neighbor or any other suitable victim.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/09 09:46:00 (permalink)
    Don,t pick me!!!

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/09 16:05:42 (permalink)
    Mmmmmmm I'll call mika. he'll do anything ! Went through the gears a couple times with muffs when I first got it, didn't do it. I'll try it a couple times in a row but I think it will be when under load. And actually , it may have been the block that got JB'd. I'll be seeing the previous owner in a week or so and will find outwhere and why. I know any JB anywhere does'nt sound good !(glad I did not give him his $1 yet !! )

gambler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/09 16:36:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pghmarty

To check for spark have someone hold the end of a disconnected sparkplug wire when you crank it.

This is often a job for a brother in law, freeloading neighbor or any other suitable victim.

Have done it many times!!!
    If you are expecting it, it is not that bad.
    If you lived close to me I would offer my body up. Although I would not recommend using your tongue!!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/09 17:15:14 (permalink)
    I would not recommend using your tongue!!

Won't do that again, HUH???????
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/10 09:41:05 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: gambler

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Have done it many times!!!
    If you are expecting it, it is not that bad.
    If you lived close to me I would offer my body up. Although I would not recommend using your tongue!!

Geeez.. appropriate screen name !!

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/10 10:05:17 (permalink)
    Gizmos,
    If everything else checks out, although I'm going with vacuum leak, may I make two suggestions; CHeck the fast idle step linkage on your carb. SOmetimes this is set on the wrong step. These motors can be picky they have a sensor that won't let you put it in gear if it's revving too high. Some of the sensors are vacuum controlled. Also it could be the vacuum advance on the distributor, a leak there could mean that you don't have any advance and when you put it in gear the advance just lets the bottom drop out and it will load up with fuel and then you have to wait, and then it wil restart.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/10 10:21:33 (permalink)
    Giz, have you tried marineengine.com ? That site has helped me out a ton.
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    RE: YET ANOTHER motor problem ! 2009/08/10 12:36:15 (permalink)
    Skip sent me a link for boatfix.com that is really helpful. Have already printed the carb section and it seems easy to read and understand. I'll try the marineengine also. Cant hurt !!
    Indsguiz, that seems possible too. Thanks to all of you, I've got enough things to try, and being as she sat for 5 years or so, everything suggested should be gone over regardless. Now if I could just man up and sit out there in this sauna, I would make some headway !! Thanks again.

Jump to: