Curwensville to Clearfield
Free and Open to the Public!
Wednesday August 12th 6-9 pm
Clearfield Elk’s Club
301 N. 3rd Street Downtown Clearfield
Sponsored by Old Town Sportsman’s Association,
Trout Unlimited & West Branch Susquehanna Restoration Coalition

River Study

Old Town Sportsman’s Club was fortunate to have Trout Unlimited & West Branch Susquehanna Coalition contact them about joining together for a macroinvertebrate “bug study” on the area river. Not only does the study help fisherman by finding out what fish have to survive on, it may help the fisherman in knowing what to use for greater success in our fishing adventures. The study also includes the water: flows, temperatures and chemistry.  Plus as an added bonus the PFBC and TU results will be released from the
July 2nd electro-fish shocking of the river near Hogback!

Directions to Clearfield Elk’s Club

The club entrance is on the corner of 2nd Street (also Routes 153 & 879) and Reed Street across from the Old Jail building (3 blocks North of Jim’s Sports Center). The Elk’s is also only one block from the West Branch of the Susquehanna, Bridge Street and Route 322.  From Route 322 turn on 3rd Street, turn right on Reed Street, Elk’s parking lot is just past Grice Gun Shop.

Questions call or email Terry at Jim’s Sports Center 765-3582 terry@jimssports.com

4 Replies Related Threads

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    • Reward points: 0
    RE: River Study.... West Branch of the Susquehanna 2009/08/06 13:08:05 (permalink)
    If any of you guys who fish this have never seen macro studies or e-fishing, I strongly suggest you go see it.  You will learn more than you can imagine.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: River Study.... West Branch of the Susquehanna 2009/08/06 17:42:27 (permalink)
    are there healthy small mouth bass populations on the river from clearfield west?   Especially before the curwensville dam.  Any other species like walleye to be had?   I know that alot of the tributaries are/used to be pretty poor quality water with mine runoff and I am wondering if it is worth a full day's float on the river for fishing or would it just be a kayak ride on the river of barren life????

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: River Study.... West Branch of the Susquehanna 2009/08/06 22:45:14 (permalink)
    Definitely worth a float. It's about 10 miles by way of the river from C-Ville(Pee Wee's nest) to Downtown Clearfield. There's some very nice spots to hit and you'll catch fish the entire way into Clearfield. From Clearfield down to Shawville is decent also. Though just past the 879 bridge Clearfield Creek enters into the WB and it's full of acid mine drainage so it's dead for a ways through there. But eventually clears back up. Expect to catch, rock bass, smallies, big annoying fall fish, walleye, trout(at hogback) and musky up towards C-ville. When the rivers low like now expect it to take 6-7 hours from c-ville to clfd.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: River Study.... West Branch of the Susquehanna 2009/08/06 23:01:39 (permalink)
    cool. thanks

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    Jump to: