Overnight French Creek?

Author
Josh7388
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 344
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/05 17:13:43 (permalink)

Overnight French Creek?

A week from this weekend i want to float friench creek and then camp out over night.  I just ahve no idea where to start and end, I'm in Titusville.  Some Advice on where to put in and how many miles etc.

I would also like  to do some bass fishing, is it still any good? And could I expect any other kinds of fish?

Thanks for all your help

6 Replies Related Threads

Troll envy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Overnight French Creek? 2009/08/05 17:42:57 (permalink)
    Josh, I used to have a camp in Carlton PA, and regularly floated from Shaws Landing to my camp in Carlton in a canoe in right around 5 hours. Now that was fishing moderately at numerous holes along the way. If the creek is running a little high and fast you could take an hour off of that time. That distance is roughly 7 miles. There are alot of private camps along the way mainly around Cochranton, Carlton, and Utica. If I remember correctly there are some islands around Utica that you may be able to camp on. You probably could make it all the way to the mouth of the Allegheny near Franklin in two days from Shaws Landing. I would venture to say that is around 25 miles or so. Again if you stop to fish all the great holes along the way you will be on the water for quite a while. The smallmouth fishing has always been great in that stretch, along with walleye, and pike. Thats what is great about French Creek, the variety of species. It has been quite a few years since I last floated that stretch, but I bet I am in the ballpark. Good Luck, tight lines and be careful
    acmaul13
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1193
    RE: Overnight French Creek? 2009/08/05 20:32:11 (permalink)
    Another idea would be to put in at Utica fish your way down towards Franklin taking your time along the way,put in just north of Fkln at an area called Flatrock(self describing).You can put in on the left,then if you don't feel like cooking Polly's Dairy Ilse is just up the road accross the creek.Day 2 finish up by floating down thru Fkln to 8th St take-out or 3rd St marina on the Allegheny.FYI Utica to Fkln is 5-6 hrs usually,giving you time to fish and still set up camp easily.And like Troll said very diverse fishery I've caught dam near any fish you can think of in Pa at one time or another.
    Josh7388
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 344
    RE: Overnight French Creek? 2009/08/05 21:04:34 (permalink)
    From Shaws landing to Carlton are the islands right where u would take ur canoe out? and r u allowed to camp there?
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Overnight French Creek? 2009/08/06 07:13:07 (permalink)
    The islands are past Carlton. Best camping spot I found was on the left side of the creek near the biggest island. There's (was) a rope swing there and a little split where a small section of creek splits off around another small island. The tracks are right there pretty close to the creek too. Lots of good fishing, caught my first pike right by the big island.

Creek level's looking pretty good this morning. But don't go through Wilson Shuttes...big dangerous strainer there just past the put-in. (there's a warning thread a few posts down on this board)..here ya go, http://forums.fishusa.com/French_Creek_Hazards/m_219550/tm.htm
    Best bet is to start at Shaws Landing or south of there. Fishing was always best from Carlton down. The stretch between Cochranton & Carlton is pretty shallow and slow floating. Best fishing would probably be from Carlton to Franklin.

Enjoy...and let us know how you do.
    post edited by Pork - 2009/08/06 07:14:20

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    Troll envy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Overnight French Creek? 2009/08/06 09:22:43 (permalink)
    As Pork stated, the islands are below Carlton. The first set starts right around Custalogatown Boy Scout Camp. There is an island near Carlton as well, it will be on the right side as you float down. It is skinny, but people have camped there. You could take out at the Carlton bridge, but it will be no easy task. Again, enjoy, and be careful.
    kayak99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 526
    RE: Overnight French Creek? 2009/08/08 21:27:59 (permalink)
    Make certain you check weather reports before camping on any island on French Creek. I have seen a very low creek come out of its banks on nice summer nights when huge rainstorms hit. A couple of those islands below Utica are owned by people who don't like people camping on them. About a mile or so below Utica you'll see stone banks on the east side. I wouldn't recommend camping there as it's posted. That said, isn't there a public camp along the creek on the east side just above Sugarcreek? From the evidence of past campfires I think some people also stay overnight in the grass parking area at the Utica put in. (a couple hundred feet above the Utica bridge)

The bass fishing can be spotty. Good last week, not as good this week. Take some worms in case you find some walleye holes.

There are a few trees down on along the east side below Utica next to the RR tracks but none would be considered strainers unless the current was too quick to get away from them.

Good luck.

post edited by kayak99 - 2009/08/08 23:22:28
    Jump to: