Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
startinout
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 342
  • Reward points: 0
2009/08/02 11:29:30 (permalink)

Are fish with worms ok to eat?

I've been meaning to ask this since I got back from the boundary waters last month.  We mostly saw it in perch, but once we noticed it and started looking we saw small worms inside the mouths of practically every fish we caught and when I filletted fish for lunch saw them embedded in the fillets.  Has anyone else ever seen or heard of this?  I would assume they would die after a bath in hot grease, but I don't know. 

33 Replies Related Threads

S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 11:54:13 (permalink)
    As long as you cook the fish well enough to kill the worms and can get past the Yuk factor they are safe to eat.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 13:07:34 (permalink)
    Cooking kills the worms, but I wouldn't eat them if the meat is riddled with them...Since you would be eatting more worm than fish ...

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    toad01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 14:09:03 (permalink)
    if you dont kill the worms when cooked they eat your brain do tou want to take that chance go to giant eagle or go fishing 4 clean fish
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 15:43:23 (permalink)
    Ehh. I just wouldn't do it.
    MVfisher
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 18:12:56 (permalink)
    Very disturbing post.  Very, very disturbing.
    2dog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 468
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 20:40:57 (permalink)
    Sure the ones in the mouths weren't tiny leaches? I've seen that alot. But worms found in the flesh I wouldn't eat.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 20:52:33 (permalink)
    You're fine duUD.

Fry'em up.
    smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 21:27:36 (permalink)
    Throw that crap away man. Thats like askin if it is ok to put gum back in you mouth after it accidently dropped into dog crap.

startinout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 21:49:26 (permalink)
    I wouldn't even have considered it, but once we finally started looking for them we noticed them in just about every fish we caught.  And we caught hundreds of fish.  Everything... crappies, perch, smallmouth, largemouth, walleye and pike all had some in them.  I mainly noticed them in the meat of the perch, but a couple of the walleye had them embedded in the meat.  The way I figure it, if it was something really bad, we would have heard about it from someone along the way because that place was PACKED.  I'm sure other people noticed it.  2 dog, you might be right on the leaches.  The fish that had them in the roof of their mouthes could have definitely been small leaches.  I actually made a comment to that affect to my buddy when I first noticed it. 
    jerminator7777
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 409
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 21:50:11 (permalink)
    Yeah, I wouldn't go there. Me and my bro went to some ponds in Butler Co. and caught a mess of huge bluegills only to find out later that the fillets were filled with worms. 
    Johnny_Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 22:32:10 (permalink)
    I did a little research on the internet and it seems most of the fish we catch have them.  It seems to suggest that they are tapeworms, but normal cooking to 140 degrees will eliminate the problems.  Odds are, we've all eaten them.

Here's the sites I checked out if you wanna look as well.

http://fishcooking.about.com/od/rawfish/a/sushi_fish.htm
    http://seafood.ucdavis.edu/Pubs/parasite.htm

Yum Yum
    Match The Hatch
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 75
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/02 23:20:27 (permalink)
    Yeah, I bet we have all eaten a worm or two in our days.  But if I actually seen them in the fillets there is no way I'd be eating them.
    Snag_826
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 411
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/03 01:56:42 (permalink)
    MMmmMMmmMM tapeworm...
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8518
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/03 08:08:21 (permalink)
    Black spot disease is commonly observed in rock bass and other sunfish, bass, pike, perch, minnows, and other fish species. It can be identified by the presence of small black spots, usually about the size of a pin head, in the skin, the fins, the musculature, and the mouth of the fish. The black spots are caused by pigment that the fish deposits around the larval stage of a parasitic digenetic trematode, usually a Neascus spp.
    The lifecycle of the "black spot" parasite is complex. The adult parasite is found in a fish eating bird, the kingfisher. The larval parasite is transferred from the infected fish to the bird during the feeding process. In the kingfisher, the larval stage develops into an adult parasite. The adult parasite in the intestine of the bird produces eggs that are eventually deposited in the water. There the eggs mature, hatch, and develop into the miracidium stage of the parasite. The miracidium infects a snail. In the snail, the miracidium develops into the cercaria life stage. The cercaria leaves the snail and actively penetrates a host fish. In the fish, the parasite becomes encysted. In about 22 days, black spots form around the cyst. This entire lifecycle takes at least 112 days to complete.
    In general, the presence of the "black spot" parasite does not affect the growth or the longevity of the infected fish; however massive infections in young fish may cause fish mortality. The parasite is incapable of infecting humans and, as is the case with all fish parasites, it is destroyed by thorough cooking. When fish are heavily infected, some anglers prefer to remove the skin to improve the appearance of the cooked fish.

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9715
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/03 09:58:35 (permalink)
    Tape worms can lead to a vit. B12 deficiency.  If not caught and treated, it can be fatal, or have irreversible nerve damage.  Not something you want to mess around with.  I recently had blood work done, with low levels of B12.  I'm guessing it was more diet than anything though.  I will no longer eat sushi, and even fried fish is suspect.  I would throw back any fish with visible worms in their mouth, and likely stop fishing the water.  It only takes one egg to get into your system, to infect you.
    Don B
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/03 12:29:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: startinout

The way I figure it, if it was something really bad, we would have heard about it from someone along the way because that place was PACKED.  I'm sure other people noticed it. 

Very good reasoning! Jeezsh!

If you cook the fish properly, you'll kill the larvae, but you're still eatin' worms brutha. A lot of fish during the summer are riddled with them. Little yellow spots in the fillets are the worms. There's usually too many(100's)to pick them all out, so if you're gonna eat the worm meat, cook it well.......
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4015
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/03 15:39:44 (permalink)
    Yep, EVERY lake I have fished in PA and that I pulled panfish from has had, at one time or another, the yellow parasites in them.  Wilhelm and Pymy always had them later in summer.  Glendale and many of the smaller lakes in Cambria County have them.  You won't be eating much panfish in PA if you won't eat the worms.  If you look hard enough, especially later in summer, you'll find em.  Thoroughly cook em and don't eat sushi from freshwater fish and you'll be fine. 

Yellow Grub (From the PFBC website)

Yellow grub
    Your description suggests you observed encysted metacercariae larval stage of the yellow grub (Clinostomum) parasite. The encysted, yellow to yellowish white worm can be up to 1/4 inch in length. It can be found in virtually all species of North American freshwater fish.
    The yellow grub is a digenetic trematode. These types of parasites require several hosts to complete their life cycles. In the case of the yellow grub, the adult parasite is found in the throats of fish eating birds, such as herons. During the feeding process, eggs produced by the adults are washed out of the bird's mouth and into the water. There they hatch, yielding a free swimming larval stage (miracidia) that will die within several hours if it does not find and infect a snail of the genus Helisoma. After further development within the snail, a free swimming cercaria leaves the snail and seeks a fish host. The cercariae burrow through the skin of the fish and encyst, where they develop into the metacercariae. These yellow grubs may live several years in the fish. If the fish is eaten by the bird host the larval metacercariae will develop into adult parasites, completing the life cycle.
    Infestations by a few individuals likely cause little harm to fish, however, under certain circumstances, heavy infestations can kill fish. Yellow grubs are described as unsightly by fishermen. A related species occurring in Asia has been found to infect the upper respiratory tract of humans. Thorough cooking kills the North American yellow grub and the parasite does not alter the flavor or the infected fish; however, fish with heavy infestations are typically not eaten by anglers.
    Infestation is somewhat greater for fish caught in shallow water where snails and fish eating birds are most prevalent. Fish caught from deep water typically exhibit less infestation. Like many biological phenomenon, prevalence of the grub may be greater in some years and less in others for a variety of reasons including an abundance of intermediate host mollusks and birds.
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/03 18:04:31 (permalink)
    Yep, not sure what he found in their mouths. But the black spots on the filletes, and sides of them are parasites, at least they are black spots in winter early spring, I don't keep many fish locally in summer, fishing for big fish then.  But if you've eaten 20 panfish from PA waters, then you've eaten these parasites.  No problem if cooked, you won't/didn't even know. That said, If I notice a fish is extremely infected when caught or when filleting, it get's tossed. Most I've noticed was from Lake Latonka Bluegills when I got the chance to fish there, the crappies and perch weren't as effected there, but the Bluegill during spring were pretty bad. I've seen them everywhere, including presque Isle bluegill and all the local lakes. Seem to be more abundant in spring/summer than winter.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/03 18:31:37 (permalink)

Stillhead

titleAndStar(3227,0,0,false,"","")
    Pro Angler

You're fine duUD.

Fry'em up.

Yup. This guy eats plenty Pa. panfish, and he definately ain't got no Tapeworm.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/03 18:37:51 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: startinout

I've been meaning to ask this since I got back from the boundary waters last month.  We mostly saw it in perch, but once we noticed it and started looking we saw small worms inside the mouths of practically every fish we caught and when I filletted fish for lunch saw them embedded in the fillets.  Has anyone else ever seen or heard of this?  I would assume they would die after a bath in hot grease, but I don't know. 

the fact that you're still posting probably means it's ok
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/03 18:52:56 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Stillhead

titleAndStar(3227,0,0,false,"","")
    Pro Angler

You're fine duUD.

Fry'em up.

Yup. This guy eats plenty Pa. panfish, and he definately ain't got no Tapeworm.

smallhook
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/03 21:37:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mikastorm

Black spot disease is commonly observed in rock bass and other sunfish, bass, pike, perch, minnows, and other fish species. It can be identified by the presence of small black spots, usually about the size of a pin head, in the skin, the fins, the musculature, and the mouth of the fish. The black spots are caused by pigment that the fish deposits around the larval stage of a parasitic digenetic trematode, usually a Neascus spp.
    The lifecycle of the "black spot" parasite is complex. The adult parasite is found in a fish eating bird, the kingfisher. The larval parasite is transferred from the infected fish to the bird during the feeding process. In the kingfisher, the larval stage develops into an adult parasite. The adult parasite in the intestine of the bird produces eggs that are eventually deposited in the water. There the eggs mature, hatch, and develop into the miracidium stage of the parasite. The miracidium infects a snail. In the snail, the miracidium develops into the cercaria life stage. The cercaria leaves the snail and actively penetrates a host fish. In the fish, the parasite becomes encysted. In about 22 days, black spots form around the cyst. This entire lifecycle takes at least 112 days to complete.
    In general, the presence of the "black spot" parasite does not affect the growth or the longevity of the infected fish; however massive infections in young fish may cause fish mortality. The parasite is incapable of infecting humans and, as is the case with all fish parasites, it is destroyed by thorough cooking. When fish are heavily infected, some anglers prefer to remove the skin to improve the appearance of the cooked fish.

I caught a Smallmouth with Black Spot no more than two hours ago in the Yough.
    startinout
    Expert Angler
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/04 16:18:01 (permalink)
    I think the ones that I saw in the meat was the "yellow grub" from up above.  The fish that we caught with them were all in shallow, 75 degree water.  The ones with the stuff in the roof of their mouths may have been leaches.  I don't know.  I'm not worried, but some of the rest of the group were.  90% of my diet is pasta, deer, and fish.  I'm sure I've eaten worse.  If a little worm makes it through the boiling oil and kills me, then it was just my time I guess.  Thanks for all of the input guys.  We can put this thread to rest. 
    DJ2007
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 523
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/04 22:30:21 (permalink)
    It may be of additional benefit to freeze the fish for a few weeks to kill parasites efore cooking them as an added safeguard.  Bet they are definatly better fresh.  If the fish commision has put out a warning iw ould say its safe.  just cook the sh*it out of them.   
    IrishRed
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/05 11:41:16 (permalink)
    Seriously, if you got a beef steak or pork chop that had worms in it would you ask yourself the same question?

If you even ask yourself the question of "do i eat this" in that case there is something wrong with you.

Go to some cleaner water or if you are going to continue fishing in that spot fish for the sport and go to wholeys or benkovitz for your eatin' fish.
    71gto
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/05 13:48:43 (permalink)
    I remember about 35 years ago eating some worms out of the bottles of tequila, and looks like i survived. My suggestion is cook them fillets in tequila!

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
    Johnny_Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/05 14:34:35 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: IrishRed

Seriously, if you got a beef steak or pork chop that had worms in it would you ask yourself the same question?

There's worms in pork too. 

Here's the proof! 

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1480611842535790434&ei=ONB5SoGOIonzlQeJztC8DA&q=pork+worms&emb=1
    Pa Fisherman04
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/11 17:19:13 (permalink)
    I don't think any food is that good to eat that I could get past the sight of the worms in it to eat it. Sounds like something they would have on Fear Factor.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Are fish with worms ok to eat? 2009/08/11 17:30:30 (permalink)
    Just one more reason for me to NEVER eat a fish. Monsters inside me perch?

I would never intentionally eat parasites.....cooked to 140/180/2000...NO WAY!

P.S. We cleaned alot of perch this year...I did'nt notice any "worms"
    post edited by Mr.Slickfish - 2009/08/11 17:31:42

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: