Primer for Alum. Boat

Author
eppy
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 86
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/29 20:29:29 (permalink)

Primer for Alum. Boat

AM ABOUT TO PAINT AN ALUM. BOAT. Any one know of a good primer to use?    Thanks Eppy

9 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Primer for Alum. Boat 2009/07/29 20:34:22 (permalink)
    http://forums.fishusa.com/m_186403/mpage_1/key_painting%252Caluminum/tm.htm#186407

Just one of several threads on the topic, might have the answer you're looking for.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Primer for Alum. Boat 2009/07/29 21:12:22 (permalink)
    If it is bare aluminum, then you need to shoot it with Zinc Chromate first, then primer, then paint. If it still has a descent coat of paint, then you can just do a light sanding and paint right over it with Primer than Paint. If it has bare spots where the Aluminum is showing, you still need to hit it with Zinc Chromate first. You can buy it at Home Desperate or Lowe's. Rustoleum is great for aluminum boats, I did mine with it and it turned out great.  

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Primer for Alum. Boat 2009/07/30 08:08:46 (permalink)
    You can buy aluminum cleaner, then paint.
    No sanding needed. Did my gutters that way 4 yrs ago and still looks good.

BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Primer for Alum. Boat 2009/07/30 10:51:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mikastorm

You can buy aluminum cleaner, then paint.
    No sanding needed. Did my gutters that way 4 yrs ago and still looks good.

If you don't use Zinc Chromate, it will eventually corrode on the rivets and any scratches in the paint.... If paint is already present, then there is a chromate coating underneath the paint already and it will be fine....Chromate is self etching and will adhere....Just a regular paint will not last long...

Zinc chromate, ZnCrO4, is a chemical compound containing the chromate anion. It is used industrially in chromate conversion coatings.
    Its use as a corrosion resistant agent was applied to aluminium alloy parts first in commercial aircraft, and then in military ones. During the 1940 and 1950s it was typically found as the "paint" in the wheel wells of retractable landing gear on U.S. military aircraft, not because of its glaring yellow-green color symbolizing anything, but to protect the aluminium from corrosion.

toad01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Primer for Alum. Boat 2009/07/30 19:16:31 (permalink)
    i used apoxy primer/and paint over exsisting paint sanded it realy good and brushed it on lower half of boat 3 yrs ago still looks pretty good and holding up well
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Primer for Alum. Boat 2009/07/30 20:08:58 (permalink)
    Go with what Big Slick says he knows what he's talking about I'm a Aircraft Mechanic for US Airways we use zinc chromate primer on EVERY bare metal part that we paint.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Primer for Alum. Boat 2009/07/31 10:12:01 (permalink)
    TSP(Trisodium Phosphate) was what I was refering to.
    It is a cleaner. Removes mold and fungus from metal,wood, ect.
    Worked on my gutters is all I,m saying....

npsinboro
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 76
    RE: Primer for Alum. Boat 2009/07/31 10:25:05 (permalink)
    Zinc Chromate Primer is also much easier for paint to stick to than straight aluminum. Bare aluminum without etching is very hard for paint to "stick to" and as such if you do it without you'll find it cracking, bubbling and peeling right up.

If it's bare aluminum go with some chromate primer. If you're going over OLD paint you'll want to power wash it to remove any potential bad spots, sand it down a bit, and then apply your paint.

Lots of people recommend the rustoleum as a nice, cheap solution for painting alum. boats.

You should be able to find a zinc chromate primer in body shops... FYI. If you come up empty handed I think rustoleum also has an aluminum primer that might be worth looking at.

More here...
    post edited by npsinboro - 2009/07/31 10:26:40
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Primer for Alum. Boat 2009/08/01 21:38:09 (permalink)
    Eppy:

Lots of good advice.  I restore aluminum boats of all types.  Welding and painting seem to mystify folks when working with aluminum.  The enemy you fight is aluminum oxide.  It is "aluminum rust"  it forms almost instantly after you either clean or sand.  It continues just like rust and builds up a coating.  The primer sold in auto paint shops (I like PPG myself) made for aluminum is a self etching primer and sticks because it chemicaly adheres to the aluminum. It also stops the oxide from continuing.  Neat stuff.  After you apply the primer, you can use any type of paint, primer, base coat, clear coat you desire.  I have used just about everything from base coat and clear coat to rustolemum (sp).  Fresh water does not effect paint like salt water.  Take your time and you will be happy with the results.

REMEMBER "The toes you step on today may be connected to the AZZ you have to kiss tomorrow"
    Jump to: