Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor?

Author
centerpindaddy
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 108
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/28 15:20:35 (permalink)

Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor?

Unconfirmed report of a 24' boat exploding this morning in Conneaut harbor after getting fuel. Anyone else have any info? My buddy that has a cottage on the beach about 2 miles west of the breakwall heard some chatter on the marine radio.

19 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/28 15:38:18 (permalink)
    Haven't heard anything about that, but I remember a classic wooden 20' Century that blew up with 7 people aboard in the Clarion River about 30 years ago (always run your bilge fan, and lift the dog box) it was about 1/4 mile from our house and the explosion rattled the pictures on the wall. Luckily nobody was seriously injured, hope that's the case with this one as well.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/28 16:11:04 (permalink)
    Made a couple calls, here's what I've found out so far (not confirmed). Man and woman and 2 dogs aboard. Dogs OK, but they didn't find the second one till much later. Man and woman in hospital. Boat burned to the waterline, put itself out and stayed afloat.
    centerpindaddy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/28 16:38:08 (permalink)
    Thanks bulldog for making some calls. I have been too busy at work with this "cash for clunkers" thing. I hope everybody is OK and also wonder if they are friends. Then again none of my friends take their dogs out on the boat.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 10:57:16 (permalink)
    CONNEAUT, Ohio -- John and Judy Hillman had just finished fueling up their 21 foot pleasure boat around dinner time Monday at Conneaut Harbor, when their boat suddenly blew up.

Retired Captain Steve Horvath was on the dock. He says, "I heard the explosion and I looked around and thought oh boy - it sounded like a canon went off."

John was driving the boat at the time and was knocked unconscious by a piece of the engine. At the hospital he said his "wifes screams" woke him up in the nick of time. They both jumped into Lake Erie and were followed by their 2 small dogs. The U.S. Coast Guard was called but good samaritans rushed over on boats and plucked the couple and their dogs out of the water, and brought them to shore.

Conneauts volunteer fire department began dousing the flames. Cpt. Horvath says, "They put a collar on his neck and put him on a board and the wife she fainted." Tim Zbin with the U.S. Army Corp of Engineers was also near the harbor. He says, "I heard the loud explosion and saw the ball of fire." Zbin says the explosion was so great he'ss, "surprised they made it out safely."

The Hillmans are well known in Conneaut. They spend time at a local campground. Freinds took their dogs while they were rushed toHamot Hospital in western PA. Tuesday John Hillman was listed in fair condition with burns and a severe gash to the back of his head. His wife Judy was checked out and released.

The cause of the explosion is not known at this time but Zbin says, "Usually it blows up when they first start it up. It must've had a fuel leak or something. That was a loud explosion for a boat

Here is a news report video.....
    http://www.fox8.com/wjw-boatfire-0727,0,4347611.story

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 18:13:33 (permalink)
    Bulldog, you may want to rethink your way of clearing a IO of fumes if your lifting the doghouse, thats not correct. The worst you can do is open the doghouse for fueling or starting, gas fumes are heavier than air and the bilge will be the lowest spot on the boat. Any fumes on the deck from filling will drop to the bilge if the cover is open.

You have to look at the cover as different atmosphere, its sealed w/ a gasket and the blower is sized to remove any unwanted fumes from the cover are and the open bilge as well. If there is an explosion while starting the cover can contain the explosion to some degree.

Another quick note for those w/ IO's do not open the engine cover if you see smoke coming from it, your introduce fresh O2 and the fire will grow and possible burns to you as the person closest to the engine.
    ORIGINAL: bulldog1

Haven't heard anything about that, but I remember a classic wooden 20' Century that blew up with 7 people aboard in the Clarion River about 30 years ago (always run your bilge fan, and lift the dog box) it was about 1/4 mile from our house and the explosion rattled the pictures on the wall. Luckily nobody was seriously injured, hope that's the case with this one as well.
    post edited by saltflyfisher - 2009/07/29 18:14:28
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 18:29:57 (permalink)
    Interesting point, sounds viable although most dog houses are not exactly air tight but I can see how that may happen. I never fuel my boat on the water so it's usually just accumulated fumes from sitting. I turn my fan on when I get to the ready area so it always runs for at least 5 minutes before any starting attempt. I would seriously doubt that the doghouse being down would do much to contain an explosion, the boats that I've seen were pretty much blown apart. That Century went to the bottom almost instantly, it's still there if you're interested.

The odd thing about this one is that the explosion occured after leaving the fuel dock, not upon initial start up. I also leave my fan run while in no wake and idle conditions. Of course, I almost always leave my fan on all the time 'cause I forget to turn it off till I turn the motor off and hear it running.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 19:58:48 (permalink)
    My doghouse is nowhere near air tight....I still run my blower before I start each time.

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 20:13:10 (permalink)
    I've seen people at marina fuel stations realize that they have been pumping fuel into a rod holder and not the fuel fill. At that point there have fuel in the bilge, if the rod holder is drained w/ a tube to the bilge, if not it's on the deck.

I do realize that the cover is not a exactly airtight seal, thats why I said look at it as a different atmosphere.

Interesting point, sounds viable although most dog houses are not exactly air tight but I can see how that may happen. I never fuel my boat on the water so it's usually just accumulated fumes from sitting. I turn my fan on when I get to the ready area so it always runs for at least 5 minutes before any starting attempt. I would seriously doubt that the doghouse being down would do much to contain an explosion, the boats that I've seen were pretty much blown apart. That Century went to the bottom almost instantly, it's still there if you're interested.

The odd thing about this one is that the explosion occured after leaving the fuel dock, not upon initial start up. I also leave my fan run while in no wake and idle conditions. Of course, I almost always leave my fan on all the time 'cause I forget to turn it off till I turn the motor off and hear it running.
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 20:14:13 (permalink)
    Never said it was airtight , if so the motor wouldn't start.
    ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

My doghouse is nowhere near air tight....I still run my blower before I start each time.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 20:20:55 (permalink)
    "I've seen people at marina fuel stations realize that they have been pumping fuel into a rod holder and not the fuel fill."

That could get expensive as well as dangerous! 

Not arguing with ya salty, just thinking out loud I guess. I agree with the oxygen/fire deal, how do you use the extinguisher without lifting the lid though?

Anybody else have thoughts on lifting the box before starting?
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 21:08:39 (permalink)

http://my.boat-ed.com/course/content/101039?s=101039026&token=f0453d2d4a2cf3f5101a3ea862d352c2

Before beginning to fuel:
    •Tie the boat securely to the fuel dock.
    •Ask all passengers to leave the boat and go onto the dock.
    •Do not allow anyone in your group or others at the fuel dock to smoke or strike a match.
    •Check to see that fuel lines, connections, and fuel vents are in good condition.
    •Turn off anything that might cause a spark—engines, fans, or electrical equipment.
    •Shut off all fuel valves and extinguish all open flames, such as galley stoves and pilot lights.
    •Close all windows, ports, doors, and other openings to prevent fumes from entering the boat.
    •Remove portable fuel tanks from the boat and fill them on the dock.
    •Make sure that your fire extinguisher is within reach.
    While filling the fuel tank:
    •Keep the nozzle of the fuel-pump hose in solid contact with the tank opening to prevent producing a static spark.
    •Use caution and fill the tank slowly to avoid spilling fuel into the boat's bilge or into the water. Use an oil-absorbent pad to catch drips or spills.
    •Never fill a tank to the brim—leave room for fuel to expand.
    Evaporating gasoline creates vapors or fumes that are heavier than air. These fumes settle to the bottom of the vessel where they could explode if enclosed areas, such as the bilge, are not ventilated properly to remove fumes.
    After fueling:
    •Put the fill cap on tightly to prevent vapors from escaping.
    •Wipe up any spilled fuel and properly dispose of the used paper towels or rags on shore.
    •Open all windows, ports, doors, and other openings.
    •If your boat is equipped with a power ventilation system (exhaust blower), turn it on for at least four minutes before starting your engine. This will help eliminate fuel vapors in the bilge. Bilge: Interior of the hull below the floorboards
    •Before starting the engine, sniff the bilge and engine compartment for fuel vapors. Continue ventilating until you cannot smell any fuel vapors. Consider installing a gas vapor detection and alarm device.
    •Start the engine and then reload your passengers.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 21:20:45 (permalink)

"I've seen people at marina fuel stations realize that they have been pumping fuel into a rod holder and not the fuel fill."

Not arguing with ya salty, just thinking out loud I guess. I agree with the oxygen/fire deal, how do you use the extinguisher without lifting the lid though?

I do, but it's not to vent it, it's to turn on my perko switch for my batteries....

BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 21:31:05 (permalink)
    This was 3 or 4 years back, but I used to have a 1980 Sportcraft with a Merc 90hp 2 Stroke electric choke. Was out perch fishing in the pack one saturday morning, and finished up with our limits and went to go start the motor, hit the choke and booooooommmm....The motor cover for the engine blew about 200 yards behind me up in the air. My carb must have leaked or a fuel line had a split in it or something and to add to that, I had a bare spot in the electric choke wire that was arcing onto the engine block. The engine burst into flames and I quickly went and got the extinguisher and put it out. Sat there and got calmed down for a minute and started the motor up and went back into port. Boy was that scary...Absolutely nothing wrong with the engine after it was on fire, just had to replace some wires that were charred and replaced the fuel line...Never a problem after that. I did have to order a replacement engine cover from some place down in Florida for 300 bucks though because mine is still somewhere on the bottom of the lake in 50ft of water north of Walnut... 

kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 21:34:06 (permalink)
    I open mine to turn the switch on and take a quick sniff for fumes.
    CRANKMASTER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 22:22:08 (permalink)

My ship,(lol) has a removable plug that you can easily remove(kinda like a 6" bung,I dont have a dog box. It is there so incase of fire all you have to do is stick the nozzle of the extinguisher into it and flood the whole engine compartment to hopefully smother the fire.For ships that do not have a bung hole, I don't think it would be too hard to make an access hole for this purpose. I also keep 2 extinguishers on board just in case. Hopefully none of us will have to experience such a tragedy. Now if someone could only do some Walleye Voo-Doo or dance !!!
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/29 23:39:29 (permalink)
    it was an older boat, they just bought it, first time taken it out...500 yards or so outside the breakwall... they were pulled from the boat, they didnt jump in the drink.... buddy of mine was there and was one of them that helped them.. after i dont know how many boats just floated around and watched it and wouldnt help...
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/30 06:20:24 (permalink)
    Lifting the box w/ smoke visible was just that don.t lift it, it has nothing to do w/ lifting it prior to starting for as mentioned turning a battery switch on. Lifting the cover while fueling and starting is not recommended. Once the cover is closed you go through the same process, blower on for set time and turn key.

You don't have visible flames there is no use for FE, move to front of the boat away from the motor, PFD's are worn, help is called for and if needed jump in the water. But the underlying issue is everyone is safe.

RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 465
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/30 08:03:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: 16506fish

it was an older boat, they just bought it, first time taken it out...500 yards or so outside the breakwall... they were pulled from the boat, they didnt jump in the drink.... buddy of mine was there and was one of them that helped them.. after i dont know how many boats just floated around and watched it and wouldnt help...

Boat was inside Conneaut harbor just past the bouys Carpetbagger emailed me a picture from Conneaut harbor web cam of it burning.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: Boat explosion in Conneaut harbor? 2009/07/30 09:23:42 (permalink)
    Guys,
    Just want to let you know that there is a company That makes a halon fire extinguisher system for boats. Has a fire button (or two) mounted on the dash and by the engine compartment. Uses a saftey pin on the button to prevent accidental arming. Just pull the pin and hit the button.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: