Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
clearwater
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 345
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/22 19:55:01 (permalink)

would this ever happen

Is there a chance of there ever being a special regs section on a lake erie trib. like a fly fish only or  something like a delayed harvest section?  if a land owner wated it to be that way  would they do it. 
 im not tryn to put anyone down with this..

87 Replies Related Threads

Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 20:07:49 (permalink)
    Can't see it.
    flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 20:21:13 (permalink)
    It's been talked about I think..

Expect chaos.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 20:30:05 (permalink)
    If you think there is a lot of fights now at walnut...Wait til they start that up....lol....

harrypelles
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1007
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 20:32:38 (permalink)
    Vote DHALO for Walnut All The Way!!

Wait...! Is that a gun in your ha.......
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 20:35:39 (permalink)
    Neva gonna happen. The steelhead fishery is there to generate money for the PFBC and the Erie area. It is a put and take fishery, thats what it is. There is no need for a regs section unless they cut the stocking at least in half. There are plenty of fish for everyone to catch from october until March. If you aint catchin em try puttin yer bait in the water.

Now continue to beat the horse until its paste.
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 20:50:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kingnuke32

Neva gonna happen. The steelhead fishery is there to generate money for the PFBC and the Erie area. It is a put and take fishery, thats what it is. There is no need for a regs section unless they cut the stocking at least in half. There are plenty of fish for everyone to catch from october until March. If you aint catchin em try puttin yer bait in the water.

im  not worried about fish it meant in the way of less trash on the stream. why must every one turn stuff negitve.
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 20:58:55 (permalink)
    It would be cool to have some special regs areas such as a flyfishing only, artificials lures only, or even a stretch just for the center pin guys.  It probably will never happen.  There isn't enough stream mileage to close down a section just for a certain group of fisherman.  More and more areas are being closed due to posting and private clubs.  Since it is a money making thing for the PFBC and the local ecomony, I don't believe there will ever be such regulated areas.
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 21:02:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: clearwater

im  not worried about fish it meant in the way of less trash on the stream. why must every one turn stuff negitve.

So your saying people who fish DHALO or FFO sections of streams are cleaner because they don't fish with bait? Sterotyping again. I see plenty of Purist float/fly fisherman being inconsiderate and littering just as much as the guy in camo waders and a blaze orange hunting jacket.

Wasn't trying to be negative but with the already crowded nature of the streams why take access away from fisherman who pay the same for their license. Why not a bait/spin fishing only section would that work too?
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 21:03:23 (permalink)

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 21:07:28 (permalink)
    Why would you ASSume, that there would be less trash in a special regs. section?

I've done numerous clean-ups along the tribs, and found thatr at most 20% of the trash collected could be directly tied to anglers. Elk access might be closer to 50-50, or 60-40.

If it were a proposed condition in acquiring an easement, it likely would be seriously considered. In fact,I believe access to a section of Crooked creek is under some restricion/special regs.  Otherwise, there is NO compelling reason for them, and this horse has been beaten more than a Phlyers goaltender ( but not much ).

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    clearwater
    Expert Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 21:10:58 (permalink)
    i have nothing wrong with bait only waters just grab the spinning rod.  and i said if the land owner wanted to be that way meaning a new section of stream more open water is a good thing right. 
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 21:12:50 (permalink)
    Hey spoon,
    What special regs is there on crooked creek?  Other than the nursery water stretch that you can't fish.  Just curious, used to fish that stream alot when I lived up there.
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 21:18:53 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mountian Man

With chicken,beef, and now horse................

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 21:33:39 (permalink)
    Norm,

I believe, that the owner of the recently re-opened section on Hapyy Valley Rd. requested that all fishing be C&R. Not sure that it is a formal regulation though.
    post edited by spoonchucker - 2009/07/22 21:34:01

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 21:34:59 (permalink)
    Thanks spoon!  Hopefully people will follow that so the land owner keeps it open.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 21:39:26 (permalink)
    On second thought. I doubt the PF&BC would consider agreeing to special regulations as a condition of an easement purchase. It would be a public relations nightmare. As all anglers ( spin,bait, and fly ) are required to have the LE stamp through which said easement would be purchased. A C&R section possibley, but no tackle restrictions.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 21:42:15 (permalink)
    I agree Norm. If I recall correctly, the landowner simply agreed to re-open that section, and did not sign an easement. As such, he can re-close it at any time.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 22:25:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: spoonchucker

Norm,

I believe, that the owner of the recently re-opened section on Hapyy Valley Rd. requested that all fishing be C&R. Not sure that it is a formal regulation though.

No, it did not go into effect...The landowner owns the creekbed and can not put special regs into effect other than posting..I live only 2 miles from happy valley and have crooked 200yrds from my house....

bigben7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 885
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 22:27:44 (permalink)
    i think its too great of a resource to restrict it. they want to spread everyone out as much as they can. follys has been talked about being fly fishing only. im usually the only one the w/ a spinning rod.
    bigben7
    Expert Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 22:34:48 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: clearwater

So your saying people who fish DHALO or FFO sections of streams are cleaner because they don't fish with bait? Sterotyping again. I see plenty of Purist float/fly fisherman being inconsiderate and littering just as much as the guy in camo waders and a blaze orange hunting jacket.

Wasn't trying to be negative but with the already crowded nature of the streams why take access away from fisherman who pay the same for their license. Why not a bait/spin fishing only section would that work too?

i quit wearing camo waders a couple years ago,still wear f orange hat during hunting season(dont want to get shot) and a camo parka. and you will never see me litter. my gear usually consists of a quick minnow bucket, split shot and a 50 pack of hooks.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 22:41:34 (permalink)
    BigBen..Are they trouble hooks?   

SnAggR

lol...j/k

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/22 23:34:18 (permalink)
    The landowner can put any restrictions to access, that he chooses. It may not be an official PF&BC designated area. But if enough folks don't adhere to the land owners request/restrictions. It could d@mned quick become an official posted, offlimits section.

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/23 00:04:00 (permalink)
    Yes, you are right. A landowner can post the property. If he owns both sides of the creek, than it is assumed that he owns the creekbed as well. If he does not own both sides, he can not stop anyone from fishing. A landowner can not request that it is C&R if the waterway is stocked by the State. If his property is open to public access than normal fishing regs must be followed. The Only legal action would be that a landowner can post the property on:

1. His side of the waterway if he only owns one side, but can not stop people from walking in the creek or the opposing side

2. Can post both sides of the waterway and the creekbed is offlimits as well. The only way around this is to float the waterway if it is deep enough that you are not touching the creekbed or any part of the landowners property.

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/23 00:14:38 (permalink)
    If its deemed navigableif I remember

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6354
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/23 01:58:40 (permalink)
    It's just my opinion but I would like to see all the tribs Downstream of rt 5 be C&R, especially Elk and Walnut. Notice I didn't put type of equipment restrictions in place just C&R for the areas closest to the lake. But man would the south side of the tubes be jammed.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/23 06:12:27 (permalink)
    Way too many fish in the streams for C&R restrictions. What is so hard to comprehend about a put and take fishery, if these fish spawned in the streams I could see it but the almighty steelbow of erie does not so... Rope em & smoke em
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/23 08:59:28 (permalink)
    Its pretty muck like that now, 80% of the guys I see got flyrods.
    I still use all three, noodle, fly & CP, just depends on where & how the flow is. But it will never happen.
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/23 09:06:45 (permalink)

Way too many fish in the streams for C&R restrictions. What is so hard to comprehend about a put and take fishery, if these fish spawned in the streams I could see it but the almighty steelbow of erie does not so... Rope em & smoke em

I agree with you about not needing a catch and release reg.  FYI the fish do spawn in some of the streams. There is documented wild reproduction in 8 of the streams.  And even though it is basically a put and take fishery, the steelhead can and will repeatedly come in each season.  So, people do not need to kill every fish that they catch or snag.
    bigben7
    Expert Angler
    RE: would this ever happen 2009/07/23 14:53:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

BigBen..Are they trouble hooks?   

SnAggR

lol...j/k

LMFAO! i probably do look like a snagger....minus the fly rod ofcourse
    Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: