Yough Dam

Author
Trout-n-Eye
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 21
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/12 12:25:48 (permalink)

Yough Dam

Anyone been fishing the Yough Lake at all?  Bass, Walleye, Crappie, anything happening?   Heading up for the day on Tuesday.

6 Replies Related Threads

STEALYS4ME
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1443
    RE: Yough Dam 2007/08/12 13:25:40 (permalink)
    I know a few people that fish it  and have not heard anything good latly.  I fished it a few times last year and it suked didnt go back this yr,.  U may wanna check and see if they droped the water over there.  Last yr, they did and had a hard time launching the boat.
    bridgeman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 137
    RE: Yough Dam 2007/08/12 14:32:36 (permalink)
    There was still 5' of water off the ramp at Jockey hollow, the ramp at Somerfield will still be good for a while. Fished last Saturday, had a lot of marks about 30' down south of the bridge in and around the river channel. I caught a big brown trout about 6 or 7 pounds, let him go. That was the only bite I had, I trolled from Monkey face all the way up past Tub run, not many marks north of the bridge.
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Yough Dam 2007/08/12 14:41:06 (permalink)
    Here's my report from (8-4-07)

Fished Yough Dam today, hoping to find a good smallie bite for my tournament there in a few weeks.  The lake was 13.5' below summer pool, and most of the structure I cast to was out of water.

Began the morning throwing topwater.  I had 1 hit on a Spook Jr., got excited and pulled too soon.  That was the ONLY topwater hit in 1.5 hours.  The fog burned off the lake and I threw a tube at an old fall-down.  I picked up a short smallie there.  After messin around with the tube way too long, I picked up my dropshot rod.  3 casts later, I pick up another short smallie.  I dropshot the same area that I topwatered earlier, without a hit.

Move on to my next spot......docks.  They start at shore and end in 35'....or at least that's where they ended today.  Earlier in the season, when the water was normal, they ended in 20'.  Near shore, I picked up a smallie on the 3rd cast that might have measured .  I work out the docks to the deep end and get a 16" smallie between the last 2 boats, in 28'.  go around the dock and pick up another short smallie near where the 1st one came from.  Work along shore to some more docks and get another short smallie.  WHAT'S UP WITH THE SHORT FISH???

Made a run to the Maryland side of the lake.  Started down a steep rocky shore and got a GOOD hit.  At first I thought it was a cat cause it didn't come up.  It ended up being this:

a 2.5#-3# largie.

a few more casts and I get another 16" smallie.  Both fish were in 28'.

Got tired of bucking the powerboat waves and headed back to the ramp.  Fished my last spot across from the launch.  Picked up another short smallie in 24' and a rock bass in 40'.

Not a bad day, but was WAY too hot.  We looked forward to the long runs between spots!  I just hope my partner catches something next time!
    WOODSnH2OGUY
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 40
    RE: Yough Dam 2007/08/13 12:36:28 (permalink)
    Nice Fish...
    I usually fish the yough, but haven't been up yet this year.  Maybe I'll give it a shot shortly...I agree too hot!

Mike
    Trout About
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1048
    RE: Yough Dam 2007/08/18 20:59:17 (permalink)
    Prefished with Matt today.  He was in a kinda slump.  I boated 4 keepers from 7a-8a before he even had a bite.  then he figured something out and got a few short fish.  in the early afternoon, he managed to find 2 keepers, including MY largemouth from 2 weeks ago.  I was re-tying and he was running the trolling motor.....That's why he got first shot at him.

Here's a few pics.

My 17" smallie.

Matt's keeper smallie

MY largemouth that Matt caught.

My largie from 2 weeks ago

Notice the tree over my right shoulder and the tree directly behind Matt.  We were in the EXACT same spot....GPS confirmed it too.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Yough Dam 2007/08/21 10:24:51 (permalink)
    welcome to summer on the yough.  Fish shallow in the morning to a few keepers.  once the fog rolls off you better go deeper or look for largemouth.  Shallow water always has a bunch of short fish (10-11") and rock bass.  15-25' is the range for keeper smallies.

Thanks,
    Rick
    Jump to: