Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
Author
RELAYER
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 465
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/21 09:08:15 (permalink)

Hazard to navigation

Here's the PFBC response to the hugh trees sticking 5ft out of the water in 30fow N of the marina The heavy flooding from last week has subsided although with all the tribs dramatically over flowing their banks ,the debris field that spewed from the mouths was significant. Large trees have been spotted drifting all along the lake shore, many of them significant in size and a few bobbing vertically. Walnut Creek and the USCG office have receive numerous calls and requests for removal. The reality here is that we simply have had an act of nature and these agencies nor any other agency hold no specific responsibly for cleaning up the Lake nor are the boats necessarily equipped for this type of operation. Should any agency assume responsibility for any type of debris cleanup a case could be made if every piece of debris in the lake was not salvaged...obviously an impossible task. Their answer is keep a keen eye out. Are they freaking kidding me??? They won't do anything until someone gets implalled on them causing death or very serious injury.

69 Replies Related Threads

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 09:16:36 (permalink)
    So...what do you suggest? As they said, if they go out and "clean up the lake", and even one person manages to run afoul of a stray tree, they're going to want to sue whoever "cleaned up the lake" for doing a half-assed job of it. Also, if they dont ahve the proper equipment to do it (like they say), then they'd be putting themselves in just as much danger.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 09:59:49 (permalink)

... we simply have had an act of nature 

... nor are the boats necessarily equipped for this type of operation....

sounds reasonable to me

Relayer...

how about you and i petion the coast guard to remove all the salt from the oceans...
    it messes up gear and tastes icky
    and maybe make it heated for when i want to go swimming

while we are at it... wouldn't it be nice to keep the lake free of ice all winter
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:03:42 (permalink)
    like a fart in a windstorm
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:12:38 (permalink)
    That reminds me of the people who fought for Dimple Rock to be dynamited. Why not just dynamite every boulder in the Yough, so we can have a nice placid flatwater stream that people of all ages and abilities can enjoy? Its not fair that running that stream is limited to people who know what they are doing.
    post edited by RhnstnCowboy - 2009/07/21 10:24:52

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:22:41 (permalink)
    No, but I do think it was the coast guards responsibility to mark the hazards with a buoy....They mark shallow water hazards, they mark no wake zones, why can't they mark hazards that are hard to see for boaters?

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:25:42 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: BIGSLICK

No, but I do think it was the coast guards responsibility to mark the hazards with a buoy....They mark shallow water hazards, they mark no wake zones, why can't they mark hazards that are hard to see for boaters?

Because no wake zones and shallow water areas are permanent.

Floating storm debris is not.

You can't be serious?
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:32:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph

You can't be serious?

I am....In the middle of the lake, no, I don't expect them to mark debris, But this was right out of the channel where traffic is heavy. Why not take a few hundred bucks out of our few million that the "Lake Erie Stamp" provided and stick a marker on the debris right outside the channel....

Frenchy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:36:21 (permalink)
    It's a cruel world out there be careful in your little part of it.
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:41:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Frenchy

Ha....I hope you smash a tree with ur boat
    post edited by BIGSLICK - 2009/07/21 10:42:02

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:42:57 (permalink)

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How could you wish that on anybody

BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:44:49 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Skip16503

What!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  How could you wish that on anybody

Cause they obviously don't care if anyone else does so why should I care if they do???

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:46:06 (permalink)
    Not caring and hoping/wishing are 2 different things  

BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:49:16 (permalink)
    Maybe if it happened to them coming out of the channel they would cry to the coast gaurd about why they didn't mark the hazard....All I am trying to say here is, the coast guard takes every other step to ensure safety, why can't they mark hazard areas in heavily traffic'd areas?   And, they do mark Hazard area's because I have seen them before, and they are not permanent....

carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:49:17 (permalink)
    I have not seen the debris but here's my suggestion... like we did for Walnut and Elk, why doesn't a group of us get together and go out there and bring them in... I'm sure it sounds a lot easier than said... or at least mark them some how.  I don't have a boat and I still would hate to see someone damage theirs, but instead of debating here, why don't you go out and take care of it yourself.  If you need help, let me know, I'd be glad to help out.  I just think too many ppl complain about things instead of taking action themselves.  they play the blame game.. it's your fault..blah blah blah... instead of being motivated to take the intiative to do it themselves.

Ok, sorry, I'm off my soap box.

LoveGlove United
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:51:04 (permalink)

I am....In the middle of the lake, no, I don't expect them to mark debris, But this was right out of the channel where traffic is heavy. Why not take a few hundred bucks out of our few million that the "Lake Erie Stamp" provided and stick a marker on the debris right outside the channel....

Because that would be littering.

Since when is any body of water hazard free?  It's the responsibility of the boat captain/driver to pay attention and drive his craft safely.  Not some state agency. 

Would you like some free gas vouchers from the government so that it's cheaper for you to troll for 12 hours as well?
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:52:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: carcus1211

I have not seen the debris but here's my suggestion... like we did for Walnut and Elk, why doesn't a group of us get together and go out there and bring them in... I'm sure it sounds a lot easier than said... or at least mark them some how.  I don't have a boat and I still would hate to see someone damage theirs, but instead of debating here, why don't you go out and take care of it yourself.  If you need help, let me know, I'd be glad to help out.  I just think too many ppl complain about things instead of taking action themselves.  they play the blame game.. it's your fault..blah blah blah... instead of being motivated to take the intiative to do it themselves.

Actually, I did pick up some logs the first Saturday I was out after the flood. They weren't that big, maybe 3 inches in diameter, but they were prop busters.... The log in question was about 14 inches in diameter and I don't have the gear for it. I also got on the radio whenever I saw a hazard....

BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 10:56:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: D-nymph

Because that would be littering.

Since when is any body of water hazard free?  It's the responsibility of the boat captain/driver to pay attention and drive his craft safely.  Not some state agency. 

Would you like some free gas vouchers from the government so that it's cheaper for you to troll for 12 hours as well?

No one is ever hazard free, that's not what I am saying. You are right, it is 100% the captain/Drivers responsibility. If they hit something, shame on them. Especially a tree sticking 5 feet out of the water.....All I am saying is, with it being that close the the marina, you all would change your tune if someone smacked it and died!!!!  Then there would be questions about why the coast guard didn't do anything....

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 11:09:21 (permalink)
    I think the coast guard should get in my boat and buckle up my little life vest to make sure I'm safe, and check to make sure I have enough fuel.  If they don't and I die, there would be questions about why the Coast Guard didn't do anything at the launch...
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 11:10:25 (permalink)
    I agree with Cold...If they remove the ones close, they WILL be expected to remove any debris.  The best thing to do is have good communication between anglers....I was there the weekend it was spotted and a courteous boater got on the radio and warned everyone about it.  We all now know its there and where it is, we should take caution coming in and look out for it. 

carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 11:11:42 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: carcus1211

Actually, I did pick up some logs the first Saturday I was out after the flood. They weren't that big, maybe 3 inches in diameter, but they were prop busters.... The log in question was about 14 inches in diameter and I don't have the gear for it. I also got on the radio whenever I saw a hazard....

All you would really need is a long rope or chain to drag the tree in shallow.... right?  I'm not talking about an underwater chainsaw...just something to bring them in and beach them

LoveGlove United
    Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 11:24:34 (permalink)
    The least they could do is attach some type of marker. When coming in at night or going out in morning,they are hard to see.

carcus, those things are huge, dont think they can be pulled in. Gotta' think they are over 30ft long and heavy enough to stay in one place for so long. The lake has been rough and they hardly moved.

I did notice about 2 weeks ago someone tied a orange ribbon on one of them.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 11:30:04 (permalink)
    Maybe if it happened to them coming out of the channel they would cry to the coast gaurd about why they didn't mark the hazard...

Which is precisely what they're trying to avoid.

why can't they mark hazards that are hard to see for boaters?

If they hit something, shame on them. Especially a tree sticking 5 feet out of the water...

Cant have it both ways! If it's so easy to spot that 5' tree, why do they need to buoy it? If it's so hard to see, why would it be shame on them?

Basically, if they start marking hazards, where does it stop? The minute someone whacks an unmarked piece of debris, they'll be whining like a bunch of FishErie users complaining that they missed that one. This way, they're putting the onus on the boaters to take a little responsibility.
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 11:38:17 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: KJH807

... we simply have had an act of nature 

... nor are the boats necessarily equipped for this type of operation....

sounds reasonable to me

Relayer...

how about you and i petion the coast guard to remove all the salt from the oceans...
    it messes up gear and tastes icky
    and maybe make it heated for when i want to go swimming

while we are at it... wouldn't it be nice to keep the lake free of ice all winter

EXCUSE ME for being concerned about someone getting hurt.NOT EVERYONE KNOWS it's there.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 11:42:12 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RELAYER

EXCUSE ME for being concerned about someone getting hurt.NOT EVERYONE KNOWS it's there.

i must have confused your "concern" with whining

if they are "sticking 5ft out of the water" as you put it...
    i would think any injuries and/or losses would be chalked up to natural selection
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 11:43:31 (permalink)
    I used to serve on a transportation committee covering Northwest PA and it always amazed me that you couldn't get PennDOT to put up any warning signs about dangerous intersections, etc. They always said that they were an invitation for a lawsuit in that the sign acknowleged that there was a problem. I'm not sure how being aware of a dangerous situation and NOT putting a sign up was better than warning people. Go figure, we're our own worst enemy.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 11:49:07 (permalink)
    WTF?  I can't believe some of this garbage. 

What does the Coast Guard and our Erie Stamp money have anything to do with eachother #1?

#2  Do you even know what the responsibilities of the Coast Guard are?  Low on their priority list is ensuring fishing boats coming in and out of marinas have no obsticles in their way.  It's your job and priority to operate your vessel as safely and cautiously as you can.  Not theirs. 

Every horse in your engine does not need to be used....especially when close to shore anyway.  As for open water you really think the Coast Guard should search the entire lake for debris to remove?  There have been warnings for weeks after the flooding to watch out for debris in the lake.  What part of that is not understood? 
    RELAYER
    Expert Angler
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 12:04:21 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: joebaker79

WTF?  I can't believe some of this garbage. 

What does the Coast Guard and our Erie Stamp money have anything to do with eachother #1?

#2  Do you even know what the responsibilities of the Coast Guard are?  Low on their priority list is ensuring fishing boats coming in and out of marinas have no obsticles in their way.  It's your job and priority to operate your vessel as safely and cautiously as you can.  Not theirs. 

Every horse in your engine does not need to be used....especially when close to shore anyway.  As for open water you really think the Coast Guard should search the entire lake for debris to remove?  There have been warnings for weeks after the flooding to watch out for debris in the lake.  What part of that is not understood? 

WTF I NEVER SAID anything about using erie stamp money! or the resonsibilities of the coast gaurd to search the entire lake for debris you must be as confused as KJH807
    post edited by RELAYER - 2009/07/21 12:11:55
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8512
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 12:17:34 (permalink)
    This would solve the prob.
    post edited by Mikastorm - 2009/07/21 22:34:21

BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    RE: Hazard to navigation 2009/07/21 12:19:10 (permalink)
    All I am saying is, I don't want anyone to get hurt and neither does the fish comission or coast gaurd....But they are absolutely right, it is not their obligation to search the lake for debris. I just thought since it was so close to the channel and so big that one of the commisions would have marked it for better visibility. Cudos to the person that did put a flag on it. Wasn't any of the yuppies whining about "it's your problem" in here I know that!

Page: 123 > Showing page 1 of 3
    Jump to: