Keuka Lake for Lakers

Author
sixers
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 112
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/18 20:05:11 (permalink)

Keuka Lake for Lakers

My wife and I spent a week camping in the finger lakes, great relaxing time.  I went out once with a guide on Keuka Lake for Lakers on a half day charter.  This guide uses his electronics to jig for lakers in 100' of water. Of course I have jigged for perch in Lake Erie and walleye in Pymy, but I had to try this technique for Lakers.

The guide was able to see my bait ( 1 ounce Kastmaster on his sonar or 1 ounce jig with a white curly tail) and would warn me of an approaching follow etc. Many times the hit came after his warning. Although I did not get anything right off the Bottom ( like one does with perch), I did land 5 on the way up.  The sizes were all in the low 20's, no real monsters.  Took 3 ( the limit per person) home for the grill. I really enjoyed myself using this technique as opposed to downriggers which I have done with other guides on Lake Ontario and Superior.

Just thought I mention it.  Hope to go back again and take my own boat. It is hard to tow a travel trailer and a boat, so the boat had to stay in the garage.

6 Replies Related Threads

deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Keuka Lake for Lakers 2009/07/18 20:20:56 (permalink)
    I dont know about the fishing in Keuka Lake but I have been all the way around it touring the wineries. And I have to say yes its a beautiful and relaxing place to visit. Especially from atop the hillsides over looking the lake. and half buzzin on some good wine.

Sixers , it sounds like youve been hooked on it now. Good luck next trip , and we want to see some pics next time.

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Keuka Lake for Lakers 2009/07/19 09:14:25 (permalink)
    Sixers, nice update.  Sounds like you had a good time!

I am heading to Bath, NY in two weeks and plan on fishing Keuka Lake several times.  I have alreadt chartered a boat to go out of Canandigua or Cayuga (depending on what's biting and where).  Can you PM me or let me know what setup you were using?  Line type, reel type, etc?  What color Kastmaster, silver?  Did you cook the fish yet?  Recipe to share? 

Thanks!!

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    sixers
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Keuka Lake for Lakers 2009/07/19 17:35:05 (permalink)
    We fished in the Bluff Point area near Penn Yan.  We were in  100' to 105' of water and used the front trolling motor to keep us steady.  Since Keuka Lake is surrounded by mountains the wind has little effect.

We used silver kastmasters ( 1oz) and/or a silver curly tail on a 1 ounce jig.  Again silver/white.  The lakers feed on alewife so of course we are imitating them.  I was jigfing this off the bottom ( about 6 bounces) then bring it up to top and do it again with varying retrieve speed.  All my hits came on the retrieve.  They hit differently because you do not get a "thud-thud" but just a "thud".  I got one hit about 20 feet deep so when you retrieve bring it all the way up. Remember the lakers are the only thing down there so when you feel anything "SET THE HOOK".  We had our most success retrieveing through the baitfish.

Used 14 lb test fireline ( 6 lb diameter) with baitcasters say MH. As I said. I did not land any monsters; all my fish were in the 20" - 26" range.  You need a cooler to ice them immediately, they are coming up from 40-50 degree water so they will not live in a livewell, surface temp is 70 degree.

We grilled them that night in foil with lemon, salt and pepper , onions.  The usual walleye grilling method.

That is about it ; but the image on the sonar screen is like looking for perch on Erie.  You stop when you see the bottom loaded and lots of batfish.  Except, you do not anchor but just drift and jig.  I saw a lot of boats using downriggers but  did not want to go the downrigging way.  Just my opinion on fishing.
    Texcobb99
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 451
    RE: Keuka Lake for Lakers 2009/07/19 19:09:24 (permalink)
    Great info, thanks again.  I will let ya know how I do.  I am going August 2-9.

If I would have asked what everyone wanted, they would have responded that they wanted a better horse....Henry Ford
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8512
    RE: Keuka Lake for Lakers 2009/07/19 22:24:29 (permalink)
    Perfect!

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Keuka Lake for Lakers 2009/07/19 22:44:20 (permalink)
    The sizes were all in the low 20's

Inches or LBS ????
    Jump to: