Best rod

Author
Terry R
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 49
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/18 07:27:45 (permalink)

Best rod

I own three St. Croix Avid rods. Two 66MF casting rods, and one 76MLXF2 that I just built expressly for finesse plastics and pitching. Would have preferred to buy a rod off the shelf, but couldn't find a 7'6" two piece made for casting. 6"6' is the longest rod I can get into the rod locker of my boat so it's gotta be a two piece. I know, buy a bigger boat! But that's not going to happen, and I like my boat.

The blank that I purchased is made for a spinning rig, but I mounted a casting handle on it. Works great!

Anyway, St. Croix has a lot of my money. I very much like the action of their rods, love their lifetime guarantee (Avid models), and most of all they are made in the USA! I've purchased enough "junk" rods in the past that I know and appreciate the difference. However, I was wondering if any of you can suggest another manufacturer that makes a comparable rod for less moula? Any "sleepers" out there? I really can't much tell one rod from the next 'till I have it on the water. Thanks! Terry

2 Replies Related Threads

plnoldrick
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 391
    RE: Best rod 2009/07/18 17:29:16 (permalink)
    personally for the money the powell max rods cant be beat. I have a 7' MH extra fast i use for an all purpose. i use it to fish ten inch worms and carolina rigs alot but i throw spinner baits with it and even used it with rattle traps in the spring. for 139.99 or cheaper you would be hard pressed to find much better. only problem with the rods is they are all split grips so if you dont care for split grip obviously you wont like them and they have relatively short butt sections making them a little tip heavy but the sensitiveity is great.

daiwa zillion and shimano cumura rods are also very nice rods but a little more than your avids. well worth considering though. i use a 7'2" mh cumura for jig's and i love it. its light as hell. a little down the lineup for shimano is the crucial series which are also very nice rods and very sensitive. only downside to the crucials are thier power ratings are kinda "off" by standards, they seem to run a little under.

it really boils down to what your going to use it for to be honest. i like certain rods from lamiglass, dobyns, airrus, falcon, fenwick etc but only for specific things
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Best rod 2009/07/19 20:38:07 (permalink)
    The St. Croix Avid is one of the best American made rods for the price.

About the only US made rods that are less expensive are the St. Croix Premier and the Loomis GL2.  The Avid rods are better than both.

Pretty much any rod you will find cheaper is made somewhere other than here.w_w.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

Jump to: