Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 688
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/15 16:59:48 (permalink)

State fishing panel ousts executive director

State fishing panel ousts executive director
Wednesday, July 15, 2009
By Deborah Weisberg, Special to the Post-Gazette

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission board yesterday reassigned executive director Doug Austen to another position within the agency in the wake of growing dissatisfaction with his job performance.
The surprise announcement was made at yesterday's quarterly board meeting in Harrisburg.
"We told him we wanted him to resign, and he wanted six months to find another job," said fish commission board member Tom Shetterley of Charleroi. "So we reassigned him to the position of handling federal programming -- finding federal aid -- for the commission. He'll be allowed to stay on at his current salary and retain the title of executive director until he finds another job or we see if this works out."
Austen, 49, joined the agency in 2004, as a former administrator with the Illinois Department of Natural Resources. Allowing him to stay on with different duties "makes everybody happy," said Shetterly, who indicated it also would enable Austen to retain his pension and benefits.
Shetterley said Gov. Ed Rendell "wasn't happy about what we planned to do yesterday, but it got to the point where if [Austen] didn't accept the deal, he'd be out totally."
"He wasn't doing the job," Shetterley said. "We wanted him to do physical things, to put fish in the streams, to take positive steps against Marcellus shale drilling ... to prevent pollution from the drilling ... those kinds of things, but he wouldn't listen to us. He'd ignore us. It's like he was way over there and we were way over here."
Shetterley said that someone from within the agency, possibly law enforcement chief Tom Kemerzel or legislative liaison Gary Moore, could serve as a "point person," handling the duties Austen had until yesterday. A selection has not been made yet.
Austen did not return calls seeking comment.

First published on July 15, 2009 at 12:00 am

Proud to have been a FOT/
I've been out fishing.
Clean your gear/
http://www.fish.state.pa.us/cleanyourgear.htm

13 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/15 17:08:17 (permalink)
    he wanted six months to find another job

Wally World in the sporting goods dept?
    mikeg
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2533
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/15 18:06:22 (permalink)
    I actually liked Doug, and think he did a pretty good job considering the amount of support he received. Good luck with your new position, Doug.
    post edited by mikeg - 2009/07/15 18:07:17

For my fishing reports, product reviews, stories, and other nonsense...
    http://bassjunky76.blogspot.com/
    Carpet Bagger
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1834
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/15 20:22:57 (permalink)
    Ill vote myself in to take his job....

CB
    I never thought I'd say this, but I love my Sport-Craft!
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/15 20:25:44 (permalink)
    I am officially announcing my campaign for the position of PFBC executive director
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/15 20:29:20 (permalink)
    I would like to nominate eggsak to run against you
    Buckets Charter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 97
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/15 20:50:38 (permalink)
    Fire them all and start over
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/15 21:17:47 (permalink)
    KJH vs The Sac...

It may boil down to the snagger votes.

Sac may be a good speechwriter for you though.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/16 05:45:47 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Buckets Charter

Fire them all and start over

After your meeting with him, didn't I tell you..."What goes around, comes around."?

Ironhed
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/16 08:13:34 (permalink)
    After meeting twice with Doug I must say that I liked his people skills, he seemed to listen to us & seemed very sincere in doing what was best for the future of fishing in Penna. HOWEVER, I was disgusted with the way that he bailed out of our efforts with the Wesm'd Cnty. Municipal authority to get Beaver Run Res. open to public fishing.After the huge amount of work that WCO Ron Evancho & the Westm'd Cnty. Sportsmans league put in contacting our elected officials & gathering thousands of names on petitons,Doug pulled his support & ignored us. We were very close to getting this done, now we have to start over.I was in the midst of writing a letter  of complaint to him but won't now because it will be the old he said, they said routine.I am very happy for the sportsmen of Butler county in getting thier resevoirs open & feel that they showed that with some work good things can be accomplished.I believe that Dougs demotion showed that brown-noseing politicions doesn't always work.  sam
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/16 09:49:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

KJH vs The Sac...

It may boil down to the snagger votes.

Something tells me they might not see eye to eye...

Advicating any illegal activitys( aka illegal fishing or hunting practices, illegal drug use, drinking and driving, making moonshine( homemade wine and or beer is ok to mention as its still legal to do),threating violence,cuelty of animals or any kind,ect). Advicating means telling some one you are doing such things , telling others to do so and or generaly making an illegal practice seem ok in others eye.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/16 14:10:26 (permalink)
    What the he11? If he isn't doing the job the directors want him to do why don't they grow some balls and fire him? Why ,in the public sector, do they always find a way for people to stay on the dole even when they're not doing their jobs? Don't get me wrong, I hate to see someone lose their pension as much as anybody else, but he knew the risks when he didn't do as asked. He's only been here for 5 years, how's he vested anyway? Must have been given credit for time served elswhere.       

flyfishermanPA
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1495
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/16 16:47:04 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

ORIGINAL: egg sac

Most of my spelling errors are due in part to typing to fast and not realy giving a crap if its correct as long as others know what I am saying all is good.

KJH/SAC 09.

chrisrowboat
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 688
    RE: State fishing panel ousts executive director 2009/07/16 17:14:12 (permalink)
    I wish him well. It is tough to be diplomatic in a political way when the Commissioners are asking him to do it their way now.
    Chris
    Jump to: