Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline

Author
tmccart388
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 34
  • Reward points: 0
2009/07/11 14:29:48 (permalink)

Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline

I was told that with the amount of ethanol being put into gasoline ranging from 10-25% regardless what the sticker at the pump says...the additives are not only recommended but almost required to prevent start/run problems in marine applications.....because you don't tend to empty your boat tanks as quickly as automotive, in theory you don't need in your truck. I was told Seafoam was the best additive to use, anyone else run into issues or have a better recommended product?  Also was told Kwik Fill doesn't use ethanol additives, anyone corrobate that myth?

TMcCart

20 Replies Related Threads

powerun
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 222
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/11 14:41:29 (permalink)
       seafoam, great stuff to get rid of moisture.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/11 17:45:43 (permalink)
    Use an inline water separating filter.

Trap Jaw
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/11 19:15:20 (permalink)
    I've been getting all my gas from CoFo(Citgo) and haven't had a problem...  Man I hope I didn't just jinx myself.  Had gas sit all winter and no problem, same with the stuff we've gotten this year, although it isn't doing much sitting.  Still not water problems.
    worm_waster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/11 20:08:22 (permalink)
    "because you don't tend to empty your boat tanks as quickly as automotive"

I haven't found that to be true.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/11 20:32:53 (permalink)
    I use something in a blue bottle. It was like $12 and works great.  blue star or something...I dunno. I got it at the marine shop by the docks where the EJ moors.

I run a little jet boat and the difference was HUGE once I started putting in the additive. I saw much faster revving, better high end speed and horse power and easier starting.   I only burn through a couple tanks a year, so moisture accumulation is definately a concern for me.  I highly recommend the additive to anyone that is running a boat and isnt burning a tank every week or two through it.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/11 21:13:44 (permalink)
    no woN liKs yu dUUd

stRayt rYdr
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/11 21:16:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: youngguru

no woN liKs yu dUUd

stRayt rYdr

Dont  hijack the thread, This is a serious thread.  I don't care if you like me or not, I wasnt talking to you. If you got an issue with me, PM me.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    youngguru
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 681
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/11 21:19:48 (permalink)

noT eVn yur mOthR

stRayt rYdr
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/11 21:42:09 (permalink)
    Seafoam works well. One can in my 20 gallon tank works wonders for my 95 Merc 150 EFI. I also use Marine Stabil evey time I fill up.

Prevention can cure a lot of problems down the road since we live in the land of limited fishing time here in the north country.

Unless your unemployed or retired, then you can go till you check says no. Suck a fat one umemployed folks.

Retired get a pass with me, they earned their stripes.

I have no idea what the above post means to SOME people.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/11 22:16:40 (permalink)
    Sta-Bil makes a new marine formula too and I believe its a little cheaper than sea foam.

kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/11 22:31:46 (permalink)
    Been using seafoam with an inline H20 filter that seems to work for me. The volvo engines do not like ethanol. I run the high test 93 as well.
    Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/12 00:01:54 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: hiclassHilbilly

ORIGINAL: youngguru

no woN liKs yu dUUd

stRayt rYdr

Dont  hijack the thread, This is a serious thread.  I don't care if you like me or not, I wasnt talking to you. If you got an issue with me, PM me.

"this is a serious thread"

thats funny...

BTW,YG
    +1
    Raab
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 417
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/12 00:07:49 (permalink)
    and keeping with the seriousness of the thread...

The question was answered in the first 3 posts.
    I mean, what else is there to say?
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/12 01:14:28 (permalink)
    Well, I don't know how to say it, but nothing is going to remove ethanol from gas, not Stabil, not Seafoam, not anything. They will help keep gas fresh and help reduce the water in gas. Ethanol is hygroscopic, meaning it has a tendancy to absorb water. So in short, I water Seperator is a must for marine engines today. Also, where possible, it is a good Idea to unplug your fuel line from your motor and run your motor at idle until it is out of fuel to keep from gumming up, especially if it has long periods of time in between use. Fuel injectors and Carbs can become gummed up fairly easy, especially on new engines that have strict emissions. For my motors, I use Stabil at every fill up (Since gas only has a shelf life of 14 days), and I also use the Johnson/Evinrude/Omc fuel conditioner for 2 or 4 cylces. Mikelak Marine turned me on to this, it is not cheap, but works excellent. It is around 8 bucks for a 16oz bottle. For my kicker, I unplug the fuel line and run it at idle until it is out of fuel. It is a 2009 and I have had to clean the carb out twice since at the beginning of the season, I was leaving the fuel line plugged in.

tmccart388
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/12 08:02:14 (permalink)
    thanks for the inputs, (except you Young Guru)......does anyone know that Kwik Fill or other major supplier does NOT use ethanol?  Also, not to badmouth another, but I've heard Sheetz ethanol % ranges into the 20% range, typically.

TMcCart
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/12 09:58:07 (permalink)
    In some counties all gasoline must be reformulated in the summer months to reduce emissions.
    The easiest way to do this is add alcohol.

Buy your gas in a county or state that does not require this.

http://www.pennsylvaniagasprices.com/Forum_MSG.aspx?master=1&category=1220&topic=306639&page_no=1&FAV=N
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/12 11:28:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tmccart388
     Also, not to badmouth another, but I've heard Sheetz ethanol % ranges into the 20% range, typically.

I have heard that about BP as well.

ICE NUT
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1256
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/12 13:38:17 (permalink)
    Sunoco is the worst. and all the get gos are sunuco and loaded with ethanol.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/12 21:53:32 (permalink)
    The reason ethanol is hydrophillic is that it has an OH group on the molecule, making it an alcohol.  Any two molecules with OH groups have an attractive force called Hydrogen bonding.  That is why water (HOH) gets pulled into the fuel.  These fuel stabilizers offer a different kind of molecule to help use up those available OH groups, thus reducing the amount of water that can be absorbed.  They arent going to do anything to remove the water that is already absorbed into the gas, which reduces your caloric density, resulting in crappy engine performance.

having more ethanol in the gas is not really an issue if you add enough of the fuel stabilizers, just make sure you get ones that are Marine rated or Ethanol rated, b/c if they aren't (like regular stabil) they just keep the heavier organic molecules from plating out of the gas.  It is the heavier molecules that plate out and gum up the engine, so regular Stabil won't do much, if anything, to help reduce the effects of ethanol in your gas.

----chemical engineer from PSU, so the chemistry explanation is grounded in experience. :)

saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Additive Treatment for Ethanol gasoline 2009/07/13 06:53:09 (permalink)
    Currently in the US it is only 10% ethanol, there is a push for 15% from the ethanol producers. Most boat motor manu. will not honor warranties w/ anything above 15%.

ORIGINAL: tmccart388

I was told that with the amount of ethanol being put into gasoline ranging from 10-25% regardless what the sticker at the pump says...the additives are not only recommended but almost required to prevent start/run problems in marine applications.....because you don't tend to empty your boat tanks as quickly as automotive, in theory you don't need in your truck. I was told Seafoam was the best additive to use, anyone else run into issues or have a better recommended product?  Also was told Kwik Fill doesn't use ethanol additives, anyone corrobate that myth?
    Jump to: