Thunderstorms today. If you can't fish why not watch a fishing-related flick? Here are some of my favorites:
1. Beautiful Girls: Ice Fishing, excessive drinking, Natalie Portman as jailbait and Uma Thurman...a formula that can't miss.
Timothy Hutton: My friends are ice fishing
in the shack over there.
Natalie Portman: Those guys are your friends?
T: You know 'em?
N: They're here every Sunday. We call them the Drunken Dry-heavin'
Cheese-eatin' Outhouse Boys.
2. Deliverance: Burt Reynolds does some bow-fishing before things go bad. "Now let's you just drop them pants."
3. The Perfect Storm: Commercial fishermen battle big wave. "Why do they always have to be from Gloucester?"
4. Moby**** "I'll follow him around the Horn, and around the Norway maelstrom, and around perdition's flames before I give him up." -Gregory Peck as Ahab, the ultimate fishing obsessive
5. Down to the Sea in Ships: Another whaling classic, this one with Lionel Barrymore as captain Bering: "Great suffering Cod-fish!"
6. A River Runs Through It: especially popular with fly-fisherman contemplating careers in the Presbyterian ministry.
7. Islands in the Stream: from the unfinished Hemingway novel. George c. Scott takes his kids fishing off the Bimini shore...and then into a number of bars.
8. The Old Man and the Sea: more Hemingway. Old fisherman battles big fish with handline. There are versions with spencer tracy and anthony quinn.
9. On Golden Pond: Henry Fonda hunts "Walter." Jane Fonda sports bikini.
10. Grumpy Old Men 1 & 2: more cranky, foul-mouthed old men chasing a famous big-un.
11. Jaws: the most famous big-un of them all. Roy Scheider shows you how to fish with combustible gas: "show me the tank!"
post edited by maynard_g_crabs - 2009/07/11 13:58:07