Fly box

Author
BWAngler
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 114
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/30 14:26:28 (permalink)

Fly box

first off, thanks for the responses to my other post about moving to Albany...all were helpful and I am sure I will have more questions as the time to move gets closer.  I now have a question for the flyfisherman..I just bought a 9 ft, 5 wt rod, reel, and weight forward floating line combo from cabelas for 50% off.   http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp?id=0051113320101a&type=product&cmCat=netcon&cm_ven=netcon&cm_cat=Google&cm_pla=0101%20CABELA'S%20WIND%20RIVER%20ROD/REEL%20COMBO&cm_ite=netcon
Reviews were good on the combo and i couldnt pass up the price.  I am looking to start buying some flies this summer while I have the extra cash so I will be stocked for next spring in Albany.  If you were to load a beginners fly box with 10-20 flys for streams around Albany and the Adirondacks...what would they be?
                                           -BW

12 Replies Related Threads

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: Fly box 2009/06/30 17:25:37 (permalink)
    wooly buggers, wooly buggers and more wooly buggers, hence the name jkbugger. Wooly buggers catch everything from bass to trout.

Other then that if you are only going to get 10-20 flies stay generic buy some elk hair caddis, some adams, maybe a stimulator. Then get some generic nymphs pheasant tail, hairs ear, and prince nymph these are all trout flies and work for panfish.

I always start people out with wooly buggers, they are extremely effective and catch trout in many situations. They are great for smallies, largemouth and even walleye's. 10-20 flies isn't much for picky trout, but the generic flies are still made for a reason, they usually work. Once you get into fly fishing you'll learn the value of having a diverse box.

I think I am up to about 7 stacked boxes.

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Fly box 2009/06/30 18:27:22 (permalink)

BW: jk is pretty correct on selection but there are always variables to throw in if you fish the tail waters or adk's match the hatch.
    If you don't tie yourself, PLEASE don't buy from those chain stores or shops. They import most all their flies. PM me and I can send you info on 2 local tiers.
    1st is a member of the USA fly fishing team. He got there due to his AWESOME tying abilities not to mention his fishing skills as well. He won the 2 fly pro division on the Ausable the last 2 years (mind you never fished the river before) , maybe 3 counting this year. Anyway he is a great tier and can put together a great package .

2nd is a ADK resident who specializes in classic adk patterns and streamers. He is old school and ties nothing but the best streamer patterns has been featured in many articles as is the above tier.

Again local people who are world class at working man prices. Not some sweat shop in India.

See ya soon.
    Peace & Tuna

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly box 2009/06/30 18:36:14 (permalink)
    "I think I am up to about 7 stacked boxes"

thats all ?  (LOL) do you salmon & steelhead fish also ?  I tie 500 streamers every year for salmon alone . just ribbin you bro . If I were to tie for only my fishing it would be a lot less.

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly box 2009/06/30 19:35:16 (permalink)
    I hear that, I think 3/4 of the flies I tie are in other people's boxes. Plus if I ever organized my boxes it would be more. I'll tie a dozen and just stuff em in where ever they fit.
    BW,
    pm me a mailing address once you get to the area and you'll get some flies, you said august right?
    Remember casting is at least half the battle, don't expect to knock em dead till your a good caster, takes a season or two, or 15, then your hooked for life. Welcome to fly fishing.

Tuna,
    yah can't wait till fall for some salmon and steelies and browns, go to oak orchard every year a few days each fall for the browns, and I normally tie at least 2000 flies for that trip . looking more forward to getting back into the landlocked atlantic thing now that I am back upstate. 
    post edited by jkbugger - 2009/06/30 19:38:39

"Give a man a fish, and he can eat for a day. But teach a man how to fish, and he'll be dead of mercury poisoning inside of three years."
    Charles Haas
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Fly box 2009/06/30 20:17:10 (permalink)
    LMAO!! My 5yr old cousin who loves lookin at the fishin pics on here and read what all of you post wants to know what do you do with all the FLY'S when you tie them up? and how do you tie those little bitty legs and hands? tears in my eyes laughing so hard. Kids!

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    BWAngler
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Fly box 2009/06/30 20:58:56 (permalink)
    Hey thanks again...everyone on this board has been awesome.  JK-I appreciate the offer of the flies I'll try to remember to pm you once I get there! I won't be moving to Albany till December, so I have lots of time.  I plan on hittin the lakes hard for bass and gills as soon as my setup arrives.  Hopefully I can get a grasp on the basics of casting before summer is over.  Any tips/drills for backyard practice?
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly box 2009/06/30 21:05:27 (permalink)

JK I mean no disrespect but I don’t care much for Oak. the browns are so skittish and pressure is too heavy for a short stream. 2,000 flies ????? are you kiddin me.. Where do you plan on the Landlocks ? I used to fish the Ausable but the returns have been so terrible we gave up on them 10 years ago.

MR. Jigs... My trout flies usually get piled up & sorted over. I don't really tie that many anymore except streamers for brookies, Grey & black ghosts, Gov' Aiken & leech patterns. Hendrickson’s for the Ausable in May , I love the Hendrickson’s, first risers of the year, well except BWO's.

Salmon & steelhead flies is what I tie the most and they are mainly client use. The Salmon's teeth tear up the flies pretty good . We rarely loose flies to the bottom (river) because I teach a swing method and not a drift or bottom bounce. A lot of flies will get broken off due to the power of the fish or tippet cut on a rock from a fish. In general it is not uncommon to go through 25 flies a day.

Steelhead is such an assortment. It all depends on the timing of their presence in the river. Fall would be egg patterns, winter more scuds , leeches & stones, spring a heavy dose of streamers with some eggs as well.

Browns are a short spawning run, Nov is the time I really key on them and they will feed on big size #8 or 6 stone flies.

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly box 2009/06/30 21:06:13 (permalink)
    10 oclock to two oclock is the basics. Let the line load u should feel it. Basic line setup is backing, floating line, try weight forward, its easiest to start, leader to tippet to fly. Practice knots and casting. ponds are great places to learn and catch panfish. my wife can't cast more then 20ft but catch 10 bluegills in a row a week a go

Charles Haas
    Mr.Jigs
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 352
    RE: Fly box 2009/06/30 22:14:19 (permalink)
    You sure know your fishin Tuna, that is a great piece of info, especially for some one like me who has learned to use a fly rod in cypress tree infested bass lakes. My knowledge of flies is very limited. mostly used flies for bass and big gills in the swamps and back waters of bayou's. Have allways enjoyed the feel of an arcing line racing out infront of you, there is just something quiet and cool about how it feels. 

A lure drawing the first strike of an early morning, the strong tug on the end of your line, the excitement of a leaping fish... that,s livin large!
    jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly box 2009/07/01 06:02:05 (permalink)
    tuna, 2000 flies was a joke, the oak is much better then the salmon river in my opinion, in the fall if you know how to get a way from the people. last year myself and a friend had a huge pool all to ourselves. had a hookup about every 15 minutes swinging buggers and streamers. only landed about a third. used to go to the salmon every weekend starting in late october now i only go in the spring. We used to consider 1-2 fish a good day on the salmon, anything like that would be poor on the oak.
    I know what you mean about the popular sections, its like a condensed salmon river, but i worked for the dec on that river so i know it well.
    The landlock thing is still up for debate, the bouquet, the finger lakes or closer to home otsego, but its something i always used to do and man those are the most exciting fish.

Charles Haas
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly box 2009/07/01 19:50:50 (permalink)

Well the Oak is 2 miles of wadeable water and 3 miles total so it kinda concentrates the fish pretty good and they do get a much larger run of monster browns. The Salmon river being 13 miles of wadeable water. Imagine 200 or 500 anglers on a 2 mile stream.. Now picture 500 or 1,000 people on a 13 mile stream... Those numbers are large but not unreasonable during peak times .
    I fished the Oak a bit when I was younger. Not much science in learning the stream. The fish were so skittish you had to force feed them and besides a 4 & 1/2 hr drive for that experience. Nah I'll take the salmon river anytime , It's not always about #'s .

Have you ever fished the waters between Rochester & Pulaski ? There you might find less pressure and good fish.

Everyone has their favorites and that’s cool. We all like to fish and if we enjoy what we are doing then that’s what its all about....

For now I'll stick with the East, Salmon time will be here soon enough.

Peace & Tuna

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fly box 2009/07/02 04:34:59 (permalink)
    absolutly agree, thats why we fish the lower mile, fish are super aggressive and you rarely see anyone. We swing buggers and streamers and get tons of action, no dredging the bottom. I love the salmon river, but the people can be crazy.
    I like to get away from the mobs and we've found spots on the oak where we can get away, on the salmon its harder.
    I fished em all basically, the ones around the salmon and one the way our to the oak. there are some great smaller tribs, but are really hit or miss with water levels. Love the sandys north of the salmon and the sandy out by oak.

If I could have either river all to myself it would be the salmon.

Charles Haas
    Jump to: