help the kids

Author
mr.crappie
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2549
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/24 12:52:24 (permalink)

help the kids

We all know how expensive & important good  hunting clothes can be for kids. In these hard times some parents can't afford to buy good stuff for thier kids, that will out grow them in 1 season anyways. With that in mind I am starting a program at our club(THE IRWIN SPORTSMAN'S) that will ask our members to bring in any good stuff that thier kids have outgrown with the idea of loaning them to kids that want to hunt but can't afford good gear. Rather than have this clothing sit in a corner or have the indignity of our wives selling it at a garage sell for 25 cents. I think that this would be a good idea for any club that is intrested  in helping the future of hunting & fishing. The idea is to keep handing down these items instead of letting them go to waste.Being the father of 5, I know how expensive it can be. My grand son already outgrew the stuff I bought him last year. ANY OTHER IDEAS ??   sam

9 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: help the kids 2009/06/30 07:52:00 (permalink)
    Great idea dUUD! My son is turning 12 this year....and I'm stugglin' to get him outfitted. I'm gonna make it (barely), but I know some other Dads' who are havin a harder time. If you get this program running, please repost. My kid grows like a weed, and the 25 cent garage sale is well....I'd rather donate. Great idea again.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    runtgetter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: help the kids 2009/07/29 13:38:46 (permalink)
    im not part of any club but if you find an adress, i would gladly donate any leftover stuff .it is really important to get kids involved in anything but stealing beer from my garage fridge.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    RE: help the kids 2009/07/29 21:09:59 (permalink)
    runtgetter,What part of the state are you from? We are located in Irwin,Pa.  sam
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: help the kids 2009/08/03 10:52:12 (permalink)
    Mr. Slick  let me know what you need.  I have a lot of kids stuff, although I have 3 more to go through it yet, you never know I might have some stuff you need.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    RE: help the kids 2009/08/03 22:46:37 (permalink)
    Runtgetter,I was hoping that this idea would spread through-out the state not just in my area.Frankly, with all the talk on these boards about helping the kids etc., I thought there would be a lot more response or other ideas.Probably get more if we asked womens clubs to help out as they are more apt to get rid of stuff than men are. Anyways there are hundreds of clubs out there that are giving hunter ed. class & junior rifle teams or even WCO's that may know of kids that could use a hand with gear.Right now I have 2 Rossi .22/shotguns out on loan,trying to get some of my buddy's kids started out young.  sam
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: help the kids 2009/08/04 16:49:14 (permalink)
    Mr. Crappie,

I expected a better response for you as well Mr. Crappie...I'm sorry ya did not get it. At the end of this years season I will have items to donate...and I will pm you to see if your program is working. Even though you haven't gotten a good response, you have done something..... I now intend to donate ALL outgrown hunting/fishing gear somewhere...it's a start.

Musky....Pm sent

I choose Little Cleos

runtgetter
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 72
    RE: help the kids 2009/08/05 11:30:50 (permalink)
    i live in erie but camp in tionesta ,warren ,and travel into new york to french creek twice a week.where exactly is irwin.i used to be a pool installer and worked in irvin, but cant recall irwin. i looked i have 2 sets of coveralls one is blue one i camo orange.some other small items boots and some other small hand freindly things.with this economy im sure someone else is as broke as i am and has a small hunter in need.this is off subject but what ever happened to the military's c.m.p.?(civilian markmenship program)
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    RE: help the kids 2009/08/05 14:39:01 (permalink)
    Irwin,is located at the north hunt. exit on the Pa. turnpike on rt.30 approx. 130 miles south of Erie.I am sure that there are some sports.clubs in your area that could use those items for thier members. That was my idea in the first place,  to get other clubs in the state involved in thier area. Possibly the WCO in your area could help. I know that they  usualy have a list of people in need, that they can give road killed deer to when usable. You can also check the newspaper to see which clubs are giving Hunter Ed classes in your area.  thanks   sam
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: help the kids 2009/08/05 21:16:21 (permalink)
    Link to the hunter ed classes:

http://www.hte.state.pa.us/eventcalendar.aspx

I choose Little Cleos

Jump to: