Beavers?

Author
Dr. Fotios
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 44
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/07 13:53:31 (permalink)

Beavers?

I was fishing in a creek yesterday evening, a spot I've been fishing somewhat regularly for the last few months. I waded about 100 ft down to a hole a the mouth of a small feeder stream. Water was a little high and visibilty was only about 6 inches due to the rain. After about 10 mins. I saw a little beaver swimming down stream about 20 ft in front of me. I watched it till it was about 30ft. downstream and then turned back to look at my bobber. A minute later I look back but I could not see the beaver. I turn my head back around just in time to see a pretty large beaver surface about 10 ft to my left. This beaver was pretty big, bigger than a small dog. I'd estimate it was about 40lbs. He kind of suprised me but I didnt think to much of it. He continued to swim to the other side about 20ft across from me right in the shallows at the bank where he stopped in a few inches of water and turned facing me. He sat there glaring at me for the next 10 minutes. Again I didnt think much of it so I kept fishing. After about 10 minutes or so he started to move towards me and dove under swimming in my direction. I was standing in water a few inches below my waist so at that point I decided maybe I should get into shallower water because I couldnt see anything and he was a pretty big guy. I moved to shallower water where I could at least see my feet and then I saw the little beaver again swimming back upstream. Didnt see the big one after that. I'm sure some of you guys have had experience with beavers. I dont know Sh*t about beavers so I have a question: Is a bad idea to be so close to them? I didnt approach him he approached me? Can they be aggressive or is there any thing to be concerned about when they are very close??? Like I said I wasnt worried about him at all until he started towards me and at that point I wasn't wild about the idea of being up to my **** in murky water with a 40lb beaver swimming toward me. LOL actually after I typed that I just saw some humor in it. LOL. But seriously what are you thoughts and experiences.

16 Replies Related Threads

griffon
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1104
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/07 14:01:31 (permalink)
    I was once attacked by a beaver when I got between him and the water.  I avoided the bite, but was quite surprised at how agile that critter was on land.  I could share several aggressive beaver stories from college, but that would be off topic LOL...
    Stillhead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1887
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/07 14:07:38 (permalink)
    I had a close encounter with one on the little Juniata river last year. It was on an island chewing weeds and I walked right up on it about 10 feet away, never had one let me get that close.  I stopped and watched a while. It gathered up a bunch of weeds and swam downstream with them, I guess it must have had little ones to feed.  After that I headed down to fish the big hole it just swam through, figured he was gone.  About 20 minutes later (I was wet wading waist deep)   he came to the surface about 10 feet downstream of me, then ducked back under and slapped his tail.  I don't know whether they'd ever be aggressive or not, but I wasn't going to be the one to find out, and quickly moved back to knee deep water.  Ball wading with wild animals with powerful jaws nearby isn't a relaxing way to fish.  Over the next hour that beaver must have went back and forth from that little island to somewhere downstream of the hole I was fishing at least 10 times.  After the first two encounters it stayed on the opposite side of the stream.
    Invicta
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 484
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/07 14:15:14 (permalink)
    i've seen a few up at Laurel Hill State Park. i've never been able to get very close to them, usually as soon as they see you they bolt. they sure are neat creatures.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/07 14:26:34 (permalink)
    I could share several aggressive beaver stories from college, but that would be off topic LOL...

I wasn't even going to touch this one, but...

Anyway, all I need to say is, Oil Creek Outing '07.  My only close encounter with a beaver that didn't cost me at least dinner.  I must say, I didn't like how close it got.  It was more likely due to me being in IT'S way, but the fact that I was perched on a slimey boulder trying to get a better view into the stream, made me nearly coat the insides of my breathables.
    Dr. Fotios
    New Angler
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/07 14:45:31 (permalink)
    Gotta love the humor aspect of this off topic or not.
    Stillhead I'm guessing wet wading is without waders. Thats what I was doing just wearing shorts. And yeah your right
    Ball wading with wild animals with powerful jaws nearby isn't a relaxing way to fish
    Definitely not!
    Ive thought about the snappers and yeah thats a pretty troubling thought but I never even considered beavers.
    dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/07 14:58:42 (permalink)
    I was on Spring Creek last year after they began to allow wading and was upstream close to the prison property by all the old ponds, fishing the sulphur hatch when something hit me in the leg, and I look down to see a decent sized snapper getting pinned against my leg from the current...and I quickly found out how Jesus walked on water...
    post edited by dealinsteel - 2007/08/07 14:59:22
    kyler16
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2396
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/07 15:01:32 (permalink)
    I experienced bout something similar to what u did Doc.  I was fishing the confluence of the yough but I was on the laurel hill/ cassleman part. and I saw 2 things floating down that looked like logs. well the one dived and slapped it tail on the water so I knew it was a beaver. Well the one resurfaced right beside me an was a baby. the other one resurfaced down stream bout 100 yards and kept going. The baby stayed near me for an hour. followed me on land. it wanted me to touch it but I didnt want to because of its mother might do what birds do and reject it. It was making a squeeking/grunting noise. I felt so bad for it. I wonder if it ever met up with its mother? 

"If you kill it, eat it. If you eat it, cook it right."
    -Steve Rinella
    Dr. Fotios
    New Angler
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/07 15:13:58 (permalink)
    Kyler I know its crazy how they (at least sometimes) appear to have absolutely no fear of people. Not what I would expect. Sounds like the little guy wanted to adopt you as a new parent. LOL
    Dealinsteel, yeah that would have been really uncool. Snappers are pretty **** mean and fast when they snap.Thinking about it makes me realize how dumb I was when I would wade in flip flops.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/07 18:41:36 (permalink)
       The beaver don't bother me. Now the traps, that's another story  I was doin a little wadein for pike, the lake was still mostly frozen yet. A big trappin dude came down & pulled out one of his sets with a nice beaver within 8' of me.

I like Pike, Crappy
    Dam Fisherman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/08 09:49:41 (permalink)
    When I was much younger I couldn't keep the beaver off my pole. It didn't take much to catch one and some would even suggest using a nice bottle of Chateau de Legopenur.

Now I'm married and the beaver has all but gone extinct in my area.
    Luke 9:23
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 283
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/08 10:18:53 (permalink)
    LOL!!!

Luke 9:23
    Krufnik
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 48
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/09 10:48:22 (permalink)
    Interesting.  I guess they do attack sometimes

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/swedenanimalsoffbeat
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/09 11:51:17 (permalink)
    I know they don't like it when you stand on top of their den/dam !  We were in Canada years ago and decided to stand on one and fish. No attacks, but we didn't stay long enough to give them a chance.One good thing about clear water, we could see them comming !
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/09 11:55:00 (permalink)
    I guess they never heard of relocation.
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/09 11:58:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JEB

I know they don't like it when you stand on top of their den/dam !  We were in Canada years ago and decided to stand on one and fish. No attacks, but we didn't stay long enough to give them a chance.One good thing about clear water, we could see them comming !

You can see them coming in Oil Creek too can't ya TT     LOL 

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Beavers? 2007/08/09 11:58:52 (permalink)
    Frik, yeah!
    Jump to: