Tough Catting for anyone else??

Author
hiclassHilbilly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1052
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/13 19:30:36 (permalink)

Tough Catting for anyone else??

Has anyone else found the fishing to be slow this year so far?  I have fished for channels and have had no luck at ALL yet.  It is starting to get frustrating.  Even the bullheads aren't biting right now.

I have fished the Wall in Kittaning and the lake and spillway of Loyalhanna Lake.  Not a bite yet. 

3 bullheads from the Conemaugh river, each 6" or less.  My usual catch rate is 8-10/hr, not 3 per 8hrs.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."

16 Replies Related Threads

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/13 20:20:19 (permalink)
    Is this a late April fools joke?

If anything I can't keep the channel cats off my hooks!

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    tanner12oz
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 114
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/13 21:43:06 (permalink)
    i got a handful of channels earlier this week. all of them medium sized. 
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/13 23:31:55 (permalink)
    My usual catch rate is 8-10/hr, not 3 per 8hrs. --- I guess I really even suck more because 3- 8hrs would be rippen lipps IMO.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/13 23:38:55 (permalink)
    where and how are you guys getting the channels?  I can't buy a bite right now.  I have been using fresh chicken livers, which have always worked well for me.  I did really well in the delaware river back in early may, but haven't had any luck near home.  I am beginning to wonder if they are out spawning now or something.

The 8-10/hr is for bullheads, not channels, Hummer82.  That is my catch rate in the upper conemaugh river, above blairsville.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    HereLilFishy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/13 23:50:18 (permalink)
    Try adding some grape cool aid and garlic powder to your chicken liver.I dont fish the rivers to much but this works real well in a sportsmens club pond.I been throwing one rod out with  and one without and seems they like cool aid and garlic.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/13 23:53:41 (permalink)
    Have you considered chumming some? I know I do this for carp and I showed my friend this method for catfish and he cleaned up. You may have to spend a little but it would prove worth it.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/13 23:57:35 (permalink)
    I have actually considered it.  I bought two tubs of liver friday and was going to run one in blender and chum for them, but comprimised and changed my bait every 15 mins and cut up the used liver and tossed it in the river. 

The thing that confuses me is that I was catching channels at 10:30am in the delaware river, in early may with colder water, and I can't get a bite on the same setup any evening out here now.  Bad luck maybe, bad timing....who knows....

HereLilFishy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/14 00:06:54 (permalink)
    Black cherry kool aid and strawberry are good to add to chicken liver also.Let sit in it for a day or so before you use it.
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/14 10:01:21 (permalink)
    I think one of the keys is location. A lot of times I catch cats while fishing for carp and they tend to associate together. The cats may move into my area before the carp or vice versa. I know once summer hits I change my spots as there patterns change. If I was you and you live close to your fishing spots I would mess around with some new spots and see what happens.As far as chumming goes you don't need a ton to attract them in. When I showed my friend all we threw out was about 3 handfuls and that got a nice school into the area. The key is not to over feed so your bait is still attractive and stands out.
    kastmasterpro
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/14 10:12:12 (permalink)
    I had someone tell me this and the other day I caught a good number of bigger cats..fish a creek channel after a good rain at night or late evening..I was at walnut the other day right before it got dark and was gettin them til 11..I fished from 8-11 and must have caught a lil more than a dozen..they like sitting at the creek ends after it rains because debris comes out and they feed..Good luck

can't wait til the steelies run again! get to say the best two words put together in fishing "fish on!"
    G30
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/14 13:56:16 (permalink)
    Been a decent, but not great year for me. Been fishing Crooked Creek and Allegheny River. Seems like you travel around a little. Allegheny around K-town, Conemaugh around Blairsville, Delaware, etc. Id love to do that but can't right now due to family & work obligations.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/14 14:42:10 (permalink)
    G30, it is my work obligations that send me between wv, erie, scranton, harrisburg and philly..... lol, I have fished probably 20 different bodies of water in the last 2 years.

I live outside blairsville and will happily drive 1.5 hrs for fishing on the 2 days a month I get to do it. :)  If the fishing is good enough, it is worth it.

akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/14 14:42:50 (permalink)
    the vbest bait is cut shad if you can get them. if not cut blue gills work as well and keep it fresh. rebaiting every 15 to 30 min.
    Hummer82
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 187
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/14 18:45:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: kastmasterpro

I had someone tell me this and the other day I caught a good number of bigger cats..fish a creek channel after a good rain at night or late evening..I was at walnut the other day right before it got dark and was gettin them til 11..I fished from 8-11 and must have caught a lil more than a dozen..they like sitting at the creek ends after it rains because debris comes out and they feed..Good luck

Not a spot burn by forum rules.  However, very ignorant.  BTW I have been skunked there about 20 times this year.  Fished it monday, tuesday wednesday...got skunked.  Also I know others who fish it are not having much luck.  That rain we had the other day didn't effect the creek one bit.   If no pics I have no reason to believe this or any other future post!!

I would sure hate to have someone drive from out of town to be let down by all the hipe.
    kastmasterpro
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/14 19:03:35 (permalink)
    Everyone, next time it rains I'll go to walnut if its over the weekend and get a few cats, take some pics so people see proof..what I'm saying is they are there, i caught some, and I don't have pics but next time i will be happy to get some. Thanks and God Bless!

can't wait til the steelies run again! get to say the best two words put together in fishing "fish on!"
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    RE: Tough Catting for anyone else?? 2009/06/15 09:03:27 (permalink)
    I finally got right last night.   I canoed up to the spillway of the conemaugh river dam and picked up 7 channels in 4 hrs of fishing.  Threw crankbaits, spinners, jigs and live shiners all night and didn't pick up a single bass or other species of fish though.  The channels were not very big, but it was nice to get something.  Beautifull area over there to fish.

A buddy of mine fish the Youghiogheny river saturday and sunday and didnt get a bass (he's not the best fisherman though).  People aren't getting much walleye action at erie either.  Still a really slow start to the fishing summer.  It has to be the cool weather. 

Jump to: