Noodle Rod Uses?

Author
BigE
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 11
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/11 15:24:07 (permalink)

Noodle Rod Uses?

Hi Gang,   I've never owned a noodle rod.  What kind of fishing were they designed for and what kind of bait?  Thanks,  Eric

13 Replies Related Threads

Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/11 17:31:46 (permalink)
    I don't own one either. I see alot of guys using them during steel season in the creeks with minnows, bait or jigs. I think they enjoy having that extra length, to "dunk" the bait where they want it, instead of cast. They are also VERY sensitive compared to a spinning rod. I tried one...I couldn't cast for crap, and it was too much rod for me. I found it difficult to navigate it in tight places. Lots of guys love em though. I'm sure a more educated answer will follow.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/11 18:39:20 (permalink)
    It helps you control your drift by allowing you to get more line out of the water. It also helps cushion sudden turns, shakes, and runs while fighting a fish...these two traits make them ideal for steelhead fishing.

Slick, do you fly fish? I thought my 9' noodle rod was a pain to maneuver with too, until I started using a 9' fly rod. Once I got used to it, I find its only a little more of a pain than any other rod, and the benefits of having it, for me, easily outweigh its cumbersome traits.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/11 18:43:28 (permalink)
    Basically all a noodle rod is is a fly rod with a spinning handle.  They are designed to toss lightweight baits (like for steelhead) a longer way than conventional spinning rods.  Also, as stated they are more sensitive and they allow for the use of a finer line than regular spinning rods because the extra flex of the rod absorbs most of the shock of a fighting fish.  I have used mine for more than steelhead and they can also be used very effectively when casting small baits/lures to trout, smallmouth and crappie.  If you can maneuver a fly rod then you should be able to handle  a noodle rod.  A word of warning:  they will definately fling a heavy lure a loooonnggg way.  Maybe more than you intended. (like across Elk, up the stones, and past the crowd.  That was an interesting experience).  There are more "scientific" descriptions of the functions of a noodle rod but I like to keep it simple.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    BigE
    New Angler
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/11 20:08:02 (permalink)
    Hey guys,

Read an article about using them for surf fishing. What weight rod is best for all around. Tht heavier or lighter tip?  Sounds like something worth owning. Sounds like it would be hell on wheels for casting.  Eric
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/12 00:12:57 (permalink)
    Big E -

I don't think you'd want a noodle rod for typical surf fishing. By that I mean chucking a 3 or 4 oz. sinker into the surf. If you're thinking of casting spoons or other lures, it might work.

A true noodle rod has a very soft, slow action. Designed as the others have mentioned for casting small baits and fighting big fish with light line. If you chuck out a big hunk of lead on a true noodle rod, the tip probably wouldn't last too long.

Most surf rods are similar in length to typical noodle rods, though much stouter and stiffer. But they are very different.

But if you're looking at a noodle rod for steelhead, I'd highly recommend making the switch. There's definitely a learning curve with a rod that long, but you'll be glad if you learn how to use it. I also use mine for regular trout fishing, and sometimes in early spring when I'm casting unweighted soft plastics or small jigs for bass.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/12 00:13:25 (permalink)
    I don't flyfish Cold. Never tried it. I can barely keep my spinnin gear straight. I think I'd be A mess.

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 805
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/12 09:51:00 (permalink)
    I use a 10'6 rated for 2-8 lb line. It is a true light rod and not a ultra light or noodle. Basically has more back bone than some other rods out there that feel like a coat hanger from tip to butt. Still has a light enough tip for light steelhead jigs, but can toss spoons and spinners in the lake far and bring in large fish from way out. Besides steelhead I use mine to stalk carp, makes a nice crappie and perch rod on my lake in WV, and I've hauled in a 7 lb and 5 lb largemouth with it, once jigging for crappie, once using a small minnow for perch. If you have enough water you could fight pretty large fish on it with ease. You won't pull fish out of snags but with open water it will bring in fish up to double its line test rating with ease. It's a fun smally rod in the right waters. At least with tube jigs and live bait. Wouldn't want to go ripping jerkbaits with it.
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/12 09:56:10 (permalink)
    As far as bait or lure uses just about anything you can get away with in the right size. They are only made to handle baits and lures up to about 1/8 oz, but you could get away with more. If you are mainly using it for steelhead it can be used for spinners, spoons, and flatfish. It can be used for jigs. And it can be used for bait fishing with or without floats. Even tiny flies under floats and shot. It's a very diverse rod that allows you to do all of these presentations with a quick retie instead of a rod switch. Not to mention the leverage of the long rod is unmatched.
    BigE
    New Angler
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/12 20:18:09 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone.  Joe   what brand is your 10' 6" rod?  I love ugly sticks, you can beat them but I never killed one. Any more info would be appreciated.  Eric
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/13 08:38:35 (permalink)
    dude i've been doing this for 10 years now and amazingly my rod is a 10'6 shakespeare agility rod. $50. trust me if i wanted a $500 rod I would buy it no problem. They are light, good backbone, soft tip, and never ever break. I had the old Infinity model that was an im7, agility is im8. i've tried others, looked at buying loomis or st croix, but always come back to the shakespeare model. it's well made and not bottom line stuff like their walmart rods. i'd buy 5 before buying one $250 rod. still have my old model and it gets used by friends and family every year, over a thousand steelhead on it if not 2 and no signs of wear. if i was going to guide for steelhead i would have clients use these rods. best bang for your buck, and i've handled almost every noodle rod from $50-$300 price range. i've broken pricier rods just on a hookset (i hook hard when jigging), the shakespeare rod, not a chance.
    BigE
    New Angler
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/13 20:22:23 (permalink)
    Joe,   What is your preferred Brand  line to use on it?  I think the Agility comes in two different models.  Which one did you buy?  I'm gonna order me one for Fathers Day and get the free shipping from FishUSA. Your input would be appreciated.

I like fishing with light baits and I like long casts .  Thanks everyone.  Big E
    joebaker79
    Expert Angler
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/14 10:28:23 (permalink)
    10'6 rod from fishusa. i use pline floroclear in 6 lb test. in fact i use that brand line on all my rods for everything except my flathead rods. great line.
    BigE
    New Angler
    RE: Noodle Rod Uses? 2009/06/15 17:01:32 (permalink)
    Here is what the guy said:

Great rod for the money
    By Sand caster from Ventura, CA on 3/31/2008

Pros:
    Affordable, Good Tip Action, Sensitive
    Best Uses:Small Fish, Surf Fishing
    Describe Yourself:Avid FisherBottom Line:Yes, I would recommend this to a friend I use the 10' noodle rod for surf fishing in southern California. It has a great tip action and really allows me to get the bait out there with the 10' length. I now have 2 of the JBI Black Diamond rods and I would recommend them to anybody into fishing with light tackle. They have held up great and are really affordable.
    Jump to: