Elk Creek boat launch ?

Author
owensdad
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 2
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/05 13:41:43 (permalink)

Elk Creek boat launch ?

Newbie boat owner seeks wisdom of experienced Lake Erie fishermen, please.

I just bought a (used) 16 foot, fiberglass, deep-v boat and am wondering if the Elk Creek boat launch would be a good place to launch for Lake access (and only in good weather, obviously). 

Reason I'm asking is... Having such a small boat, I'd like to get into deeper water closer to shore - as compared to, say, the Walnut Creek launch (been to WC many times on others' boats).

A buddy of mine advised against the Elk Creek launch... told me that the channel might be a little tricky (irregular/unpredictable/etc.) for a beginner like me.  I'm hoping that, by taking it slow and watching the depth finder, I can use this access to Lake. 

Any advice in earnest much appreciated.  (??? Are there boulders in that channel that will surprise me / hit my prop?)

Also, I am only guessing that perch and walleye fishing off of Elk Creek is as good as fishing in the same depths off of Walnut Creek.  Is this reasonable?

Thanks for any help. 

post edited by owensdad - 2009/06/05 13:43:26

4 Replies Related Threads

mikelravy
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 163
    RE: Elk Creek boat launch ? 2009/06/05 14:10:21 (permalink)
    Elk is pretty shallow and dangerous.  Might be ok but why chance it.  Walnut is crappy too but better and not that far away.
    Lovgren69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: Elk Creek boat launch ? 2009/06/05 14:16:58 (permalink)
    I've launched my 19ft deep-v boat there twice last year.  I would say it is safe to launch a boat there of your size-as long as you are cautious!  Alot would depend on the water level in Elk Creek, but I launched in July when the stream was barely a trickle.

You will find that the launch ramp and dock are very small, but if you keep your boat positioned to the near side of the bank you should be okay.  There is not much room towards the far side as the creek shallows out quickly; but it is between 2-3 feet deep on the near side.

I would advise to hug the nearside as you go out and be carefull as you prepare to enter the Lake.  There is a larger sandbar which extends a long ways into the mouth of the creek itself.  You will have to trim your motor up as far as you can and idle across it to the opposite shoreline.  Here the water will probably be less than 2ft, but it is the only access out to the lake (At least while I was there).

Once you enter the Lake stay to right and follow the shoreline for several hundred yards.  Do not drop you motor down or attempt to speed out yet!  This stretch is extremely shallow also--watch your depth finder until you've reached a safe depth for running.

Hope this helps, and remember that the mouth changes from year to year. And like you mentioned, it would be ill advised to try and launch if the lake is rough.  The shallow areas would be treacherous and almost impossible to avoid beaching or otherwise damaging your boat/engine.

Best advice would be just to take it nice and easy.  As long as your comfortable navigating and your boat is capable of operating in 1.5 ft of water then you will be okay!  If not I would advise that you go somewhere else...   
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Elk Creek boat launch ? 2009/06/05 15:19:59 (permalink)
    North East, closer deeper water and no worries at the launch. If you've been out with others, I'll spare you the usual nubee advice of being careful on the lake in that size of boat.
    owensdad
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Elk Creek boat launch ? 2009/06/06 11:21:18 (permalink)
    Thanks, guys, for your advice.  Much appreciated.

I visited the Elk Creek launch this morning, talked to a couple guys, watched a few more, and walked it out to the Lake.

I found just as you all described it.  Do-able, but it won't be my first choice. 
    Jump to: