August on Salmon river

Author
straw
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 56
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/05 12:01:39 (permalink)

August on Salmon river

I have fly fishing buddy coming in from the west coast in mid August. Would it be worth it to fishing the Salmon River? We have been up there in Oct. and done well.
Straw

20 Replies Related Threads

PHISHAHN
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/05 20:46:48 (permalink)
    nope
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/06 14:48:30 (permalink)
    Usually some spotty fishing mid-late Aug.  I wouldn't make a trip from the west coast to hopefully hit the right spot down low on the right day but it does happen.
    Gottumguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 106
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/06 18:05:27 (permalink)
    the river temp is typically in the low 70s then-
    not great for kings until Sept
    prime time for deep water kings on the Lake though:)
    post edited by Gottumguide - 2009/06/06 18:06:03

Drift boat guiding/chartering the Salmon River/Lake Ontario and since 1990.
    NYS guide lic # 1032
    www.salmonriverguide.com
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/07 04:14:24 (permalink)
    But there are sporadic runs in Aug aren't there?
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/08 07:40:31 (permalink)
    Early bird stragglers here and there every blue moon. Nothing guarranteed. As gottum said, hit the lake. PRIME TIME. Better eating from deep cold water IMO. I wolud stick to an October trip for better success. Coming from the west coast is a long way to get skunked on the river in mid-August.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/09 09:17:06 (permalink)
    Where is the best fly fishing in the lake at that time? The question was about a flyfishing buddy coming to the area.
    I have caught blue moon fish in July while fishing for bass. I have had small all morning runs of kings on some late Aug days. I would not fly in from the coast to do,it but it can and does happen.
    straw
    Novice Angler
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/09 12:45:06 (permalink)
    My buddy's son is playing baseball at Cooperstown and he will meet me some where to fish for a day and a half.  Maybe some where in Pa. I'm just looking to get some info. from the real fisherman.
    Thanks
    Straw

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/09 22:05:25 (permalink)
    Sounded like he was coming out for a trip to fish. Just tried to steer him in a direction to have a succesful trip catching Salmon. If you have the time, go for it. There are other species in the river at that time you can have fun with. Maybe, just maybe, some early stragglers will cross your paths. Best of luck.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/14 12:34:10 (permalink)
    Straw,

Listen to what everyone says, then go against the grain. If you and your buddy seriously like to fly fish, then August is a great time on the SR. Keep your anticipation high and expectation low. I say fly fishing, because at this time it is ideal, you do not need any weight or little if any used. Spin fishing would be reserved only for the deeper pools.

Every year I usually make 2-3 trips a summer to fish the SR.  It's a great river and summer is the best time to appreciate the river as you can learn many of it's secrets. You can study the flows and bottom contours, see the seams and routes fish will navigate and check out the pools and depths were fish hold. It's hard to do all in one or two summer trips, but doing this for almost 20 years helps when the fish are in or when your blind fishing in the fall/winter.

The biggest factor about fishing this river in the summer is really enjoying, understanding, and feeling the river without the pressure of crowds. You will really see how this is a world class river when you travel the banks, enjoying it's beauty with few, if anyone, in sight. This has been my secret, I'm sure not really a secret, as many have come to find out, for many years.

If you have a choice, watch the weather and flows, if you can time your trip around a flow of 500 + you will find a fish or two. You've got to cover a lot of water, using big flies, looking for a swirl or a flash, then work it. I'll keep this brief, but again, cover a lot of water. Down low on the river is great, but I've gotten into great fish up river in July and August.

In August you can have the opportunity for an early King or two, nothing like getting into a 25 lb. beast when you are least expecting it, but you've got to anticipate it on every, and I say every cast. All it takes is one pass of a flashy fly this time of year near a King and that fish will go for it.

August and other summer months are the time for Atlantic's on the SR. Now I'm talking about a lot of casting and covering water. These fish will show themselves if your fly is near. My largest summer Atlantic landed was 36 inches. Last summer I hooked and fought my first SR Atlantic on a dry fly.

I'm talking one fish a day for a successful outing, two is exceptional unless you hit a early run of Kings down low.
    Browns, and some big browns, are in the river year 'round. Big Skamania's are in the river all summer.

One year, swinging big flies, I located a fish who showed himself coming out of the shadows to check out my fly. It did'nt take, but this time of year, all you need to get the adreniline flowing is to raise a fish or have one swirl. So, for the next two hours I worked this area, and proceeded to get the attention of this one huge Skam. I went from a size 4 bright Salmon fly down to a size 18 nymph, allthewhile keeping an eye on any movement or flash within a 20-30 yard stretch of water.

In the summer, you have the comfort of knowing you can take your time, work an area, try different flies, while not having to worry about losing your spot, or someone else moving in and spooking your fish with tons of weight.

The size 18 nymph did the trick, this huge summer skam took, pushing well over 20 lbs. Over two hours of working one fish, was successful. The fish was on, and he was hot. Minutes later, after a blitz run on light tippet, he straigtened out my hook. My heart had'nt stopped pounding, my hands were still trembling, and he was gone. Success. This is what you fly fish for.

Enjoy the sights, see an eagle, pack a lunch, have a cigar, and feel the river in one of it's best seasons'.

Tight lines,

OldSalt
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/15 06:19:03 (permalink)
    Nice post O S!

You will not succeed often. It can and does happen.
    Best chance for kings is below town and during and after a flow increase.
    A few browns, summer steel, and atlantics all summer long but finding them is not easy.
    Upper  fly zone  will have something to fish to pretty much all the time.
    Would I fly in from Californificatia to hammer the big fish? NO
    Can it happen? yes
    Is it a beautiful place to fish? YES
    What will you mostly catch? Fall fish

Good luck to you and your buddy if you go!
    straw
    Novice Angler
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/17 08:26:39 (permalink)
    Guys thanks for the info. My buddy  from Cali hikes in 5 miles to get to the river out west. So we will will work hard while on the river. Also he will bring  4 - 8 weight fly rods. I do like fishing the lower river and Pineville. Plus i won't have to wait until Oct. to get my flies wet.
    Bend the barbs
    Straw
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/17 09:06:25 (permalink)
    I wish NY would increase the skamania stocking.  I believe it's 48,000 a year ?  Reason not to ?  You'd be seeing me a few more times a few with more fish.  Indiana loads their tribs and the St. Joe with about 400,000 a year.   Can't pass that deal up.

I've seen a few in the lower zone of the SR, but couldn't fish for them.    A few tagged Atlantics in upper zone. 

I agree with old salt ,sure is fun having the river to yourself. 

Straw, think the waterhouse releases water at 750 for the kayakers.  That'd be the time to go, or right after.  Good luck.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/26 05:28:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

I wish NY would increase the skamania stocking.  I believe it's 48,000 a year ?  Reason not to ?
    The hatchery does not  have the capacity to raise any more.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/06/26 06:18:30 (permalink)
    I have heard of some atlantics being taken already.
     Still not worth a trip from Cali but  if you were nearby already?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/07/01 09:11:13 (permalink)
    Makes perfect sense MS.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/07/01 12:17:17 (permalink)
    I hope my back gets better. I really want to give slayer a whoopin' this year. Maybe knock a few dozen Brewhaha's too. Just don't tell campnuts. Maybe we should have an outing?

I'm getting shots in my back under live X-RAY or something on Monday. I finally found a doc. who looked further than a blank MRI. If the shots don't work maybe they'll laser it, or cut the nerve. Hell- just make the pain stop. Right?

I look forward to getting into good enough shape to run up there again. Maybe even get Gottum to fish with me.
    Gotta wait till he's in the woods with waders around the ankles to yell for the net. That's a fun time. Hehehe.

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/07/02 21:17:59 (permalink)
    You wanna whoop me--better bring your pin and lots of luck.Can't remember if I have the 1st or 2nd week in Nov off---but looking at an e-mail sent to a friend towards the end of last Oct---doing battle w/ 20 fish in 1/2 day was possible.

tommybanzai
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 609
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/07/03 12:26:48 (permalink)
    I am probably going up that way in late August to help my one buddy and his fiance move into their new house. I plan on scouting a lot of the SR when I am up there. Primarily becuase it wont be as busy. It is a beautiful fishery, but I was there during the lead chucker season last year (never again). Late August should produce some fish of some species, but more importantly some great mental notes I been wanting to have so I can make another trip up during the winter months to fish it for Steel & the occasional brown.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/07/05 20:54:08 (permalink)
    Got some decent smallies today--missed 1 Atl or skam-----about 5lbs---hit near the end of the swing and I didn't have a loop to drop

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: August on Salmon river 2009/07/05 20:57:17 (permalink)
    Dang!
    I'll look toward November. I have about 2 weeks vacation left...

Lyrical
    Jump to: