Stockings

Author
D-MAC
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 314
  • Reward points: 0
2009/06/03 10:23:52 (permalink)

Stockings

What if the S.O.N.S & the Fish Commision instead of stocking Lake Erie with perch and walleye each year would pick a surrounding inland lake ( Eaton, Edinboro, Lebeouf) and stock them with those fish, do you think it would help or hinder those lakes.

10 Replies Related Threads

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Stockings 2009/06/03 11:18:26 (permalink)
    A study would need to be done to see if the forage base could support the increased stockings. If they could than yes, why not ! But putting in fish that aren't needed just for recreation will do more harm than good. Fish become stunted when there is not enough food.
    carcus1211
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 457
    RE: Stockings 2009/06/03 12:16:55 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JEB

Fish become stunted when there is not enough food.

Kinda like all the pike you caught last night DMAC and the LM i caught

LoveGlove United
    RRWidow
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Stockings 2009/06/03 17:13:46 (permalink)
    "What if the S.O.N.S & the Fish Commision instead of stocking Lake Erie with perch and walleye..."

Do they stock walleyes and perch in Lake Erie? In the Bay, maybe but I have never heard of any stocking in Lake Erie from the PFBC or SONS. PFBC rears and stocks Pymatuning with walleyes. Anybody got any info on this? I hate to say I am sure about this but I have alweays been told there are no perch and/or walleye stocking programs in Pa waters of Lake Erie.
    kastmasterpro
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 272
    RE: Stockings 2009/06/03 17:16:14 (permalink)
    they don't stock perch they are already here but they do stock walleyes but most of them never make it to the lake because they are stocked as finglings..they stock them in the bay and hope they grow and then swim to the lake..i stocked last year and those things were tiny!
    BloodyHand
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2131
    RE: Stockings 2009/06/04 21:25:08 (permalink)
    It's my understanding that the Ohesians stock lake Erie with Walleye. I've never heard of PA stocking anything but trout.
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    RE: Stockings 2009/06/05 07:17:34 (permalink)
         Who Are The S.O.N.S. of Lake Erie?
    The S.O.N.S. (Save Our Native Species) of Lake Erie Fishing Club is an active organization of nearly 2000 members. Established in 1981, we are dedicated to the improvement of fishing on Lake Erie and its Pennsylvania tributaries. The organization has acted as a lobbyist for regulations supporting the growth of the Lake Erie fishery. We are a member of the Cooperative Nursery Branch of the Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. Through this alliance we have established a fish hatchery that annually produces and stocks approximately 1 million Walleye and 2 million Yellow Perch into Presque Isle Bay. Steelhead and Brown Trout are also produced in the hatchery. The S.O.N.S. also participate in the P.F.B.C. adopt-a-stream program. We were active in the clean up and stocking of Cascade creek, a previously polluted stream which was a receptor of industrial out fall. The Club, partnered with the P.F.B.C., has annually built and placed appropriate structures in the waters of Presque Isle Bay which provide habitat for the fish that call these waters their home.
    The S.O.N.S. have stood in the forefront to support free public access to the waters of Presque Isle Bay and Lake Erie. As a result of the clubs encouragement, ordinances and regulations have been enacted in the City of Erie that provide for free public access in all new developments on Presque Isle Bay.
    The S.O.N.S. are always looking for more members and support. Please tour our web site for more information on how to become a member and for details on our current and past projects.

What i'm trying to get at is the smaller lakes seemed to be neglected, I fish Eaton primarily and it used to be a great walleye lake now you catch an occasional large fish and that's it doesn't seemed to be reproducing walleye could there be something done by the fish commision to change this....
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Stockings 2009/06/05 09:05:17 (permalink)
    The fish commision just posted a trap net survey of Eaton. In there they say it has a good nature reproduction of walleye. thats why they do not stock walleye in that water. In there survey there are some real nice eyes in there.

I can understand what you are saying, all i can say is every lake i know is constantly changing. i have heard stories of edinboro being one of the best bass lakes in the state now there are dead fishing floating everywhere and the bass quality and numbers are down. Everything will go in cycles, thats the way it is.
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    RE: Stockings 2009/06/05 09:14:02 (permalink)
    Where can i find the survey just curious to see it. I agree everything goes in cycles, they had a drought maybe 8 or 9 years ago up at Eaton the water was as low as i've ever seen it, couldn't launch a boat because the water rescinded to far from the shoreline, ever since then all you catch are large walleye, i've got 3 this year (all put back) they were all over 22 inches and it's been that way since that drought. Seems to me it needs a hand in getting back to the way it was is all but i'm in no way an expert in these things just a fisherman who knows how it used to be and how it is now.....
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Stockings 2009/06/05 12:42:57 (permalink)
    Go to there web site http://www.fish.state.pa.us/mpag1.htm it is right there middle of the page next to the walleye picture.
    Jump to: