NOOB in need of advice

Author
sprcpr
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/26 22:16:22 (permalink)

NOOB in need of advice

Ok, complete and utter noob here. I just bought a boat, 17 foot aluminum hull, 70hp plus 6hp trolling motor. I have almost zero experience. I have two young boys and was looking for something that we could do together. I've been reading some articles here and there but I'm looking for some good advice.

1. Marina and times that are not as busy so I can get some practice getting the boat into and out of the water. I'm on the east side, shades beach is super convenient, but I understand not open at the present time.

2. Resources on weather. I'm very nervous about this. Where can I look for convenient and good weather forcasts?

3. I'm thinking that the boys would love perch fishing. Where do I go? or know where to go?

4. The boat has outriggers, but I don't have a clue as to how to use them. Read one article on here, but without pictures it's hard to get the idea. Any other good resources?

10 Replies Related Threads

freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: NOOB in need of advice 2009/05/26 22:31:51 (permalink)
    1. Lampe marina or north east are both nice marinas and usually are not too busy. Walnut creek can be a mad house between 6-8am.
    2. On the weather and waves section of the main site there are links to near shore and off shore forecasts, also wunderground.com has a marine forecast. Everyone knows how wrong these forecasts can be. Just dont head out if they are calling for the lake to get nasty later in the day because it can and will happen a lot sooner. I run a 20 foot aluminum boat and find 1-3's to be fishable but a little bumpy, and 1-2 foot chop to be ideal. The most important thing is to have all the proper safety equipment on board, and to come in if the waves are getting a little "too rough".
    3. Perch are everywhere, the most popular places are off the point and straight out of walnut. Dont limit yourself to those places, ive marked huge schools of perch while trolling where there wasnt any other boats around.
    4. Outriggers? do you mean downriggers? or perhaps planer boards?

Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: NOOB in need of advice 2009/05/26 22:41:01 (permalink)
    I don't know how much boating experience you have, but I strongly recommend boating courses. Something you and you family can do together.

For starters, I recommend looking thru this website. Lots of good information, even for the "experienced" boaters. http://www.boat-ed.com/

Boating with the family is a great pastime. Welcome to the club...

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: NOOB in need of advice 2009/05/27 07:37:41 (permalink)
    Good advice all! You might want to start out on a smaller safer lake than the "Big Pond" until you get a little experience. Remember the wind and waves (hydraulics) are more powerful than anything man can make to take them and there are going to be times when you can't use all 70 horses!
    Bogeyjoker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1704
    RE: NOOB in need of advice 2009/05/27 09:04:40 (permalink)
        In my opinion, OTH is exactly right.  I wouldn't think about taking my kids on Erie without either having nautical know-how or taking a safe boating course designed for big water.  I don't want to be over dramatic, but people die out there in BIG boats, so knowing how to err on the side of caution is important. 
         With that said, I like North East marina because the water gets deep fast, and you don't have to go out 10-15 miles to find fish.  The mountain is about 3 miles from the port and 100' water is only about 5 miles out.  The downside is that because the water is deeper out east, the water warms slower and thus the walleye action heats up much later than the western areas, but Lampe would work well for early season 'eyes.  And like freshwaterdrumR said...perch are everywhere.
         Good Luck and be safe!

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: NOOB in need of advice 2009/05/27 13:24:50 (permalink)
    Learning to handle a boat on Erie is like learning to drive at Daytona. Just BE CAREFUL and always err on the side of caution. I agree with all of the above posts, this lake can change so quickly.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: NOOB in need of advice 2009/05/27 13:46:20 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jon_e_si

Good advice all! You might want to start out on a smaller safer lake than the "Big Pond" until you get a little experience. Remember the wind and waves (hydraulics) are more powerful than anything man can make to take them and there are going to be times when you can't use all 70 horses!

Great advice, start out on smaller waters then work your way up. Maybe give a shout out to the regulars on the boards when their going out and tag along... Lots of good folks on these boards.

As far as weather reports, I usually go by NOAA. Not accurate all the time though. Many on the boards will agree. I'm always watching the radar before going out.

Outriggers: Great for spreading your lures out from the boat. If possible, post a pic so we can get an idea of the set up you have.

Another area of concern: Saftey equipment. Make sure your up to date with all requirements. It can be a co$$tly mistake in more ways than one. Make sure your crew knows where everything is (EASILY ACCESSABLE) and how to operate them. IE: RADIO, FLARES, PFD's, etc...

Any other questions, feel free to ask. The only stupid question is the one not asked.

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    gobyking
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1195
    RE: NOOB in need of advice 2009/05/27 22:09:52 (permalink)
    http://www.crh.noaa.gov/greatlakes/?c=map&l=le&p=a&m=wh

http://www.glerl.noaa.gov/res/glcfs/glcfs.php?lake=e&ext=swt&type=N&hr=00

These are the ones I use frequently. They are never a sure thing and you can take any forecast on Erie with a weary attitude as many can attest to. When you don't feel comfortable on the water, go to safe harbor.
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: NOOB in need of advice 2009/05/27 22:17:36 (permalink)
    Check the weather ahead of time... Just keep your eye on the sky... If it starts getn to chopy for ya head in, can always head back out... isnt no perch or walleye worth chance'n it..otherwise go fish and have fun. All ya gotta do
    4carp
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: NOOB in need of advice 2009/05/27 22:59:23 (permalink)
    Take the time to drag the boat and family to Edinboro Lake.It is a great place to get use to the boat and to see how the motor runs.Have fun and enjoy
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: NOOB in need of advice 2009/05/28 10:42:06 (permalink)
    I've been using Weatherbug on my iPhone while on the lake, really nice being able to see the satellite weather radar and know where the rain is at and when it might stop or start. Some of the newest technology in GPS have subscription services to actually get the weather radar on your unit in the boat, not sure what the cost is though.

How small are your kids?
    Jump to: