Stand theft

Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2007/08/02 00:40:51 (permalink)

Stand theft

I'm thinking about putting up a ladder stand far from where I live.  It is on private land, but the owner lets a lot of different people hunt it.  For the last six years, my group has had about half a dozen stands, mostly hang ons, but one climber, in this area year round with no theft.  We've seen other guys hunting in there, but nothing has ever been stolen.  I only visit the spot a half a dozen times a year, and if my ladder got stolen, it could be weeks before I even find out.  The spot is good, having produced at least 2- 140 class bucks in the last six years.  You think the risk is high to have my stand boosted?  It's not that great a stand, but it's the principle.
Has anyone ever had a stand stolen?

25 Replies Related Threads

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/02 01:54:25 (permalink)
    The spot is good

And the question is...

Seriously, it'll break down to whether hunting prime habitat at prime time is worth loosing a tree stand you apparently are already considering replacing.  The area I hunt that I would describe as comparable has been vandalized quite alot in recent years.  Multiple tree stands stolen as well as nearby garages broken into.  If your area is stable, I'd go for it.  You may become the sacrificial lamb, but you can do something to avoid that.  Make it as difficult as humanly possible for would-be thieves without harming the tree, unless you have permission to so.  Good luck.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/02 07:37:52 (permalink)
    Never had one stolen but  I do not take many chances either.  I agree with TT, make it difficult.  That will not deter someone that makes a living stealing stands and selling them but it may the deter the occasional thief.

I usually hunt from portables.  I leave the screw in steps there and take the stand out with me.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/02 12:17:49 (permalink)

I usually have 7-8 portables out from Sept through Nov and have only lost 3 in nearly 40 years. I do try to make it difficult by removing steps etc and lately Have been locking some folded up because a couple fellows have been taking in their own steps and using my stand.

IUP30
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/02 13:18:13 (permalink)
    That's a good idea S-10.  Last year during rifle season, I was approaching my stand from the opposite direction across a recent clear cut and I could see the orange in my stand from all the way across.  I didn't approach and start an argument...just shook my head.  I actually ran into 2 other guys hunting together in that stretch of woods and talked to them about what happened...found out that it was their father or grandfather hunting there.  They apologized but it's still the fact that I went through all the work to set up my spot and someone else tries to reap the benefits. 
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/02 13:31:15 (permalink)
    Ill tell you how weiry i am of it. I put out a ladder, brand new last year. I was so paranoid I took it down after a week and I sold it this summer at my yard sale. Ill stick with my summit climber, its extra work but its not worth having someone rip you off, be in your stand... hell even know that your hunting that area. Im inclined to belive that when people see new stands setup, they know the homework is done and deer are coming through that area, which is why they get in them.

In fact, the day that stand came out of the woods was the day I bought the summit. Now I wouldnt hunt out of anything else, spend the extra money and buy a summit climber, they are worth the weight in gold. They pack nice, their QUIET, they dont **** up trees... and someone would have a pretty tough time stealing them. Ive left stands in the woods overnight, but only when I know for a fact Im coming back the next morning.
    waspman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/02 13:36:00 (permalink)
    Lazyness is one factor in stand theft. I carry mine in and out EVERY time I hunt. If you leave it out there...it has a chance to dissapear. Do yourself a favor and take it with you when you leave. also,Leaving a stand will ensure your spot might NOT remain a secret. It,s more difficult to steal a stand that is not there. If you MUST leave one...by all means chain it, camo it,make it as hard to get as possible as stated above so that nothing short of a chain saw will remove it. My 2 cents  J.T.

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/03 01:38:09 (permalink)
    Well, I would leave the stand up there so as not to disturb the deer going in and out.  It's a pretty good climb (uphill) to get to the area, plus crossing a small creek.  The few other hunters we've seen in the area seem to approach from the other side of the hill (where we dont have permission).
    I have a lone wolf climber that I love.  The only thing that would be easier is hiking up to that ladder stand that I placed there previously.  I have a cable lock, which I will use but I think any lock can be defeated given enough time.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/03 10:21:53 (permalink)
    I usually have 20 - 25 stands in the woods from september through january.  I have lost 1 in the last 10 years and that was because an overzealous WCO (actually not a wco, but a PGC employee) didn't want anyone in his area so he told the landowner to take it down.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/03 10:22:36 (permalink)
    Oh yea and in my opinion a shot at a nice buck is worth any stand I own.....

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/03 18:00:53 (permalink)
    this is why i use a climber...
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/03 19:14:34 (permalink)
    Dane -- Sounds like you should be fine based on the past experience there?

I hang stands when I have to walk further than a mile.  I let two lay as well.  Public land.

If you find them, congratulations.  I cannot and will not get so sweated up to the point I get cold in one hour.
    boolywugger
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/03 22:22:16 (permalink)
    Ive had only 1 stolen in 25 years and that was a ladder stand. I think the ladder was found when the area was being stocked with pheasnts. it was not locked up.
    I hang 2-3 cheap ones and I have a couple climbers I can use. None are locked up but they all are tough to get to. 
    I hunt private property but I am not the only one hunting it.
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/03 23:12:12 (permalink)
    I had a good climber stolen from private, posted property that was chained and locked to the tree. Someone really wanted that stand bad. My son also had a climber stolen almost from under his nose. It was raining and cold so about noon he left his stand and walked back to his truck for some lunch and to warm up and dry out - gone about and hour and a half. When he returned to the woods the stand was gone. I also had a second one that someone tried to take but I guess they didn't have to right tools to cut the chain or lock.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/06 08:01:49 (permalink)
    Yeah, I'm pretty confident so, I'm gonna try leaving it this year.  If I lose it, it's my tough luck.  It is private property (tho the farmer is generous with permission) and not readily accessible, so I hope to be OK.
    fishing nut
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/06 10:11:46 (permalink)
    We have a few lockon stands and 2 buddy stands that we put up every year on public land. It is not hidden and we haven't had any problem. Besides I am not lugging the buddy stands in and out every time we hunt that area. We lock the stands up very well. Just a small price to pay to get the big one.
    Buckstalker
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/14 00:29:50 (permalink)
    Had two stands stolen in the past so i've learned my lesson. Last year I built a ladder stand out of treated lumber and it is a 300 lb beast. Was hell getting it on location and took 3 of us to get it up against the tree. It's only secured to the tree by a heavy duty wratchet strap but it's rock solid with plenty of room and a flip up seat. Anyone who tries to steal this will risk serious injury or heart failure dragging it out. Also made the bottom 4 steps removeable so that I can pack them in and out. This will prevent most from trying to use this stand. Cost to build was under $100 bucks.
    post edited by Buckstalker - 2007/08/14 00:31:18
    Big Fathead
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/14 12:14:26 (permalink)
    My uncle bought 2 Remington ladder stands and put them side by side on a fork in a tree for hin and his daughter to hunt which is our private property. We went the week after rifle season to find 2 of the 4 straps and no stands. The closest road is 1800' away with no atv access! Lock it and hope for the best!
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/14 12:33:58 (permalink)
    I have never had a stand stolen, and I always have at least 2 climbers a few weeks before archery, through the end of rifle season. They are on private ground and locked, so I am pretty confident that nobody will see them or take them.

A close friend of mine has had 2 taken in the last three years. One was a lone wolf hang-on, the other was a rivers edge. Both were expensive stands. He didnt think anyone hunted where he hung them, and was mistaken. Luckily, he was able to get the lone wolf back after one just happened to be for sale in the local newspaper classifiedsa few days after his was stolen. After calling the number that was listed, and threatening bodily harm, the stand was left on his porch the following night.
    post edited by thedrake - 2007/08/14 20:46:15
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/16 09:31:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

Yeah, I'm pretty confident so, I'm gonna try leaving it this year.  If I lose it, it's my tough luck.  It is private property (tho the farmer is generous with permission) and not readily accessible, so I hope to be OK.

If it were me, I would take my chances and put a cable and good lock on it.  But, locking things up is only protection against the "honest" people out there.  If someone wants it bad enough, they will get it.  Another option is to get one of those braided stainless steel cables that I have heard some guys using.  They are almost impossible to cut with a saw or bolt cutters.  Then, your weak link becomes your lock.

If you say you are only going to be using it occassionally, this is what I would do if I were in your position.   I would put a note, wrapped in a baggie on the bottom of the stand stating your name, that you have permission from so and so to have this stand here and to hunt here and, feel welcome to use this stand when I am not hunting it.  It might prevent some theft by just doing that and if you know you are going to be using it sparingly, what is the harm if someone comes across it and wants to get up in it.  Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable using someone elses set-up but I wouldn't mind someone using one of my set-ups if I knew I was going to be using it a lot. 

My situation is private land that is pretty much open to hunting but most of the hunting is by neighbors, etc.  I wouldn't mind them using my stuff if I wasn't there but in archery season, I am out as much as humanly possible filming and hunting.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/16 14:36:25 (permalink)
    I actually broke down and bought a hangon today. For the price I paid, if it does get stolen I wont be too heart broken. $30 I can handle relatively calmly, although id still be ****ed.

Now I wouldnt hunt out of anything else

so much for that statement. although, i must say i didnt buy it to leave it in one place all the time, a week here, a week there at most. I will still be using my climber 90% of the time, but sometimes theres just certain trees that would be great setups that climber will not go in. I will be taking all my steps out with me.

post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/08/16 14:41:19
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/16 19:15:22 (permalink)
    J

Saw you at flyfishers tonight.  Woulda said somthing but you were talking to Steve.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/16 20:35:13 (permalink)
    I use a climbing stick to get to my hang-ons and just take it with me when I leave..Although I will leave it after an evening hunt if I intend to hunt there the next morning. As eyes said a lock only keeps an honest man honest.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/17 08:22:54 (permalink)
    Was that your girlfriend in the car? Bout knocked me over walking in? I was out in la la land, our network at work was giving us problems all week. Next time speak up **** it!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/17 09:11:41 (permalink)
    Yes that was her and yes, I about knocked you over.  Sorry!!!  You were standing in the way dumas!!  What -- you think you own the place or sumthin?  LOL  I think I was grumpy yesterday.  She was whining about having to go to flyfishers.   wah wah.  I was on a mission. I'm leaving for Michigan tomorrow and was in need of some peach estaz material badly.  I was worried they wouldn't have it.  Now I get to buzz up some estaz flies on the highway.  Makes the 8 hour drive shorter.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    RE: Stand theft 2007/08/17 10:46:55 (permalink)
    Wow thats rather funny... i bought peach estaz and blue, 100 tiemco hooks.
    Jump to: