What is the best rig setup for carp and what the best for channel cats

Author
kastmasterpro
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 272
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/15 19:26:04 (permalink)

What is the best rig setup for carp and what the best for channel cats

hey im new to cat and carp fishing however i was wondering if anyone knew the best baits for them..any info would be greatly appreciated

8 Replies Related Threads

katfishin
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 161
    RE: What is the best rig setup for carp and what the best for channel cats 2009/05/15 22:24:24 (permalink)
    channels- isleys chipped ham or chicken livers and carp whole kernal sweet corn..
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: What is the best rig setup for carp and what the best for channel cats 2009/05/16 08:51:07 (permalink)
    There is no best bait! Different baits at different times will work best! If you were given a steady diet of peanut butter sandwiches for a week, you'd probably grab real quick for a hot dog if it were offered at the same time as your next peanut butter sandwich, or if you just finished a great big dinner, you probably wouldn't be interested in more meat and potatoes but if a small tasty desert were offered you might go for it!

Catfish - chicken livers, worms - nightcrawler (whole or half) or a gob of garden worms with wiggely ends, live bait with the fins clipped to give erratic movement, cut bait, crawdads, shrimp, sometimes a combination (surf & turf) and the list goes on .............

Carp - generally small hooks and small baits, although I've caught them on jigs fishing for crappie and witnessed a big carp chase a big crawdad into shallow water one time! Corn, small worms, mix your own connoction for "doughballs" out of crushed cornflakes, wheaties, etc. chopped livers, cheese, flour, cooked rice, season with vanilla, anise, garlic, etc.! Fred Troast showed an Englishman one time who used long poles, rod holders (wouldn't touch pole or line), sat quietly, even had an alarm for when the line would go out! He would use a slingshot and chum the area with corn, ( but a favorite bait was a cashew nut attached with a small rubber band (like they use for teeth braces) to a small hook! You could chum the area with cooked rice and fish with corn ( we used to do this for whitefish in the Adirondaks)!

My most fun thing for carp is a bow and arrow, particularly this time of year when they spawn and roll to the surface or on a still night with a gas lantern - move slow and quiet!

Have fun - let us know what works for you!
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: What is the best rig setup for carp and what the best for channel cats 2009/05/16 11:07:13 (permalink)
    For carp here are a few videos I did for the fish commission.Go to the bottom of the page and it will show some basic rigs and how to tie them up and some baits. http://www.fishandboat.com/pafish/carp/carp_fishing.htm

I agree with each lake is different and carp will bite different on each lake.Like said above you can start out on sweetcorn as it does not cost a lot.A lot of us use field corn. We soak for 2 days then boil for about 30 minutes and it softens it up and is cheap. You can add flavoring to it to make it stand out as well.A big key to carp fishing is chumming. Throwing out some corn or whatever you want to use it will attract some fish in for you.They have there routines that they do every single day like we do and they eat at certain spots each day on those routines. CHumming it up is like adding a new york strip steak to the menu and they will stop by for there free meal.Where are you from by the way? Every so often we do a fish in which is a get together to share some tips and bs about carp fishing.I can let you know the next time we have one...
    accordbw
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: What is the best rig setup for carp and what the best for channel cats 2009/05/16 11:09:45 (permalink)
    Oh ya like said above small hooks. I see guys using large hooks and bait all the time and trust me you don't need it. I use a size 4 which is about 1/2inch long and sometimes a single piece of corn. Making your bait appear as natural as possible works wonders.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: What is the best rig setup for carp and what the best for channel cats 2009/05/16 12:21:52 (permalink)
    Use Mickey D's french fries-trust me

fryem
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 122
    RE: What is the best rig setup for carp and what the best for channel cats 2009/05/19 00:23:54 (permalink)
    Has been awhile since I used candy bars for carp...but after seeing a guy catch carp after carp at the # 3 water dam in washington pa years ago on chunks of milky way candy bar I had to try it for myself and the carp did eat it ...Also 3 muskateers work too...mostly because they will stay on a spring shank treble hook. the bonus of this method is if your fishing with kids you can feed them the bait.

G30
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 125
    RE: What is the best rig setup for carp and what the best for channel cats 2009/05/19 17:33:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: fryem

Has been awhile since I used candy bars for carp...but after seeing a guy catch carp after carp at the # 3 water dam in washington pa years ago on chunks of milky way candy bar I had to try it for myself and the carp did eat it ...Also 3 muskateers work too...mostly because they will stay on a spring shank treble hook. the bonus of this method is if your fishing with kids you can feed them the bait.

Can't wait to try this! Whats the biggest carp you've caught on candy bars?
    skeinmonger
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 61
    RE: What is the best rig setup for carp and what the best for channel cats 2009/05/19 20:07:09 (permalink)
    Cornmeal with flavors in it.also wheat germ for carp and cats,but thats pricey.and oats mixed with almost anything.good carp baits

Dont hate the player,Hate the game!
    Jump to: