The Golden Salmon

Author
ILikePike
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 124
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/07 21:38:08 (permalink)

The Golden Salmon

Hey, New York Yank. Here's a few Pics of some of them Sewer Trout I've been catchin' down in my Catfishin' spot. I'll be fishing for them fairly regularly, so once stripers are done i'll PM you about giving it a try, and if you know anybody else that wants to try it that would be cool.

I'm still new to this as I caught my first carp less than a month ago and i'm very impressed at how hard these fish fight, plus you never know if your going to hook into a 30 or 40 pounder.

This first fish is my biggest so far, it weighed in at 26 lbs.

this one weighed 24 lbs.

A longer Skinny 16 lbs

and a short and fat 17 lbs. (this tubby guy fought the hardest out of all of them)

10 Replies Related Threads

bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: The Golden Salmon 2009/05/07 21:47:48 (permalink)
    Very nice dude , i have a buddy who lives close to there. They used to target carp all the time, and i have seen pics of monsters !!!

They do fight great.
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Golden Salmon 2009/05/07 21:55:11 (permalink)
    thanks brian, i love learning new species, and I've been having a great time with them.

good job on the stripers by the way, I've been out shorefishing for them twice and all i got was a catfish. I'll get one yet!!!!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: The Golden Salmon 2009/05/07 22:27:07 (permalink)
    Those pictures are awesome...  That second photo especially...

Chalk up another 'rubber lips' for the Nisky guy!  I've been chumming up corn most evenings at 6:30pm at my house as per your suggestion.  I've seen some cruising submarines, but no real reliability...  Yet!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Golden Salmon 2009/05/08 09:31:58 (permalink)
    Thanks Jimmy, I think the spot i fish for them just happens to be a place where they just naturally hang out. it's a shallow bay just off the main current of the river. throwing some bait out just brings them over to where we can cast for them.
    I'm definately curious to see what kind portly creatures you have lurking around snyders. in smaller lakes they tend to move around quite a bit, but if they find a spot that consistently has food, they will keep coming back to check it out
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: The Golden Salmon 2009/05/08 11:35:03 (permalink)
    PIKE  those are some hefty goldfish ya got there!  Awesome!  So ya fire out a couple cans of corn before you start?  Good ol' Green Giant luring in some Gold Giants.  You seem to have picked this carp thing up fast.... all those bombers in a month?  OK you're on...  I'm there!  I see all were caught in daylight too... I always thought they were usually caught at night. What do i know?

You probably know that the state record carp came out of the Tomhannock (aka Dead Sea).  I used to see a big torpedo cruising around a point I fish and always wished I could get that daddy someday. 
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: The Golden Salmon 2009/05/08 12:04:32 (permalink)
    A buddy of mine lives right next to Buckingham Lake near downtown Albany.  Right off New Scotland.

It is a really small and shallow pond inthe middle of a small park that we sometimes flyfish for bass when we've had a few happy hour totties and are tired of losing money to each other in dart games in his basement. 

It is more fun to gamble on fishing prowess when you've had a few too many and are within walking distance of any waterbody.  It's sort of like "Beat Charlie Moore" but without the stupid accents...  Friggin' Sox fans...  Sigh.

That little pond has some giant carp too.  We call them "Golden Dorados"...  Not sure where that came from, but I think it is related to a fishing video game that we got addicted to last winter.

Anyway- might be a great place for me and Yank to start out.  At like 20 acres it is a lot easier to find 'em!
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Golden Salmon 2009/05/08 17:43:19 (permalink)
    NYY
    My buddy lives about a minute from our spot so the day before we fish for carp, he'll go out, mix some oatmeal and cream corn together, pack it into balls and fire those out to where we are fishing. as for time of day to catch them, we've caught some before noon,from noon to about 2 or 3 it slows down, and from 3 to dark it seems to turn on. carp start jumping all around the bay around then and that's when we've caught just about all of them. i'm sure they feed at night, i've just never tried it.
    i read about the state record carp too, just over 50 lbs. that's Insane!!

Jimmy

i'd definately be open to trying a new spot, i think i've heard of buckinham lake, but i'm not sure where it is. Is it toward the delmar/slingerlands area??? or is it right in albany??

you're definately welcome to try my spot too, that's like my home base so i'm pretty confident there, but i'd be up for something new.

also, i think larry dahlberg (hunt for big fish guy) was catching golden dorado in south america somewhere last season...... but i think he's caught everything everywhere......
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: The Golden Salmon 2009/05/09 09:38:33 (permalink)
    Nice!!!!!!!!!  Hay, that's my old spot and YES them Big carp and some nice northern have been landed there!!! Try some herring next time OUT!!! Them BIG carp love them!!! You can rig them right at your spot or over at lock#??? you know!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    ILikePike
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Golden Salmon 2009/05/10 06:25:19 (permalink)
    perch
    yeah, that is a pretty sweet spot, there have been herring jumping around all over in there, and every once in awhile something hits topwater that sounds like an explosion!!!! even though it's north of the troy dam it's very common for stripers to sneak through. the bass have been going nuts up there too, been trying for some northerns while waiting for the carp to bite, but no luck so far.
    i tried some herring up there but it's full of little cats right now, but....you never know what your going to get!!!
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: The Golden Salmon 2009/05/10 07:40:04 (permalink)
    Try using live herring!!! The bigger pike like them!!! The cats don't traget live unless it a MONSTER!!!! And thay are there!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    Jump to: