Tick Removal

Author
eagleed
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points: 0
2009/05/01 11:39:06 (permalink)

Tick Removal

A School Nurse has written the info below - good enough to share - and it really works!!
I had a pediatrician tell me what she believes is the best way to remove a tick.  This is really great, because it works in those difficult places where it's sometimes difficult to get with tweezers:
Apply a glob of liquid soap to a cotton ball.  Cover the tick with the soap-soaked cotton ball and swab it for a few seconds (15-20), the tick will come out on its own and be stuck to the cotton ball when you lift it away.  It works on you, your children and pets.
Unless someone is allergic to soap, I can't see that this would be damaging in any way.

Eagle Ed

5 Replies Related Threads

Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Tick Removal 2009/05/01 11:51:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info Ed. Sounds like a real good method.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Tick Removal 2009/05/01 13:59:25 (permalink)
    I still stand by the tried and true method of burning a tick off of exposed skin with the business end of a good Macanuedo Cigar...  Unless, of course, the tick is on ME...  Then we get the soap and cotton, Ed!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: Tick Removal 2009/05/01 14:55:34 (permalink)
    Jimmy:

We have to get together some time, as you sound as sick as me!  Can't wait to try your tick removal method on Eagle Crg.

Eagle Ed
    Old Dutchman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Tick Removal 2009/05/01 15:55:47 (permalink)
    For what it's worth, I just read an article about tick removal on WikiHow. (http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-a-Tick).  It disagrees with this advice:

"Do not twist the tick out or apply petroleum jelly, a hot match, alcohol, nail polish or any other irritant to the tick in an attempt to get it to back out. Doing so may cause the tick to release extra saliva or regurgitate, increasing the chances of being infected by any pathogens carried by the tick."

The source sited for this information is the CDC:  http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/tick_removal.html

-- the Old Dutchman
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Tick Removal 2009/05/01 19:26:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Neversink Jimmy

I still stand by the tried and true method of burning a tick off of exposed skin with the business end of a good Macanuedo Cigar...  Unless, of course, the tick is on ME...  Then we get the soap and cotton, Ed!

I know if someone was trying to burn my "BUTT" I'd spit out a few choice words too !!!!   - the saliva thing.
    Jump to: