Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2009/04/27 08:39:28 (permalink)

crossbow article

Officials continue to tussle over crossbows
By Bob Frye, TRIBUNE-REVIEW OUTDOORS EDITOR
Sunday, April 26, 2009

The debate over crossbows continues in Pennsylvania.

Just when it seems like it's kaput, it comes back to life in startling fashion.

That happened again last week. The crossbow saga — which might soon rival "Star Wars" for episodes — was guaranteed another sequel courtesy of a last-minute action taken at the Pennsylvania Game Commission meeting.

Early Tuesday, commissioners voted to give final approval to a proposal to allow magnifying scopes to be used on crossbows. That passed 6-1.

The action — the latest in a line stretching back more than six months — had the look of being the last hurdle to hunters being allowed to use crossbows statewide in all archery seasons starting this fall.

But then, in the two-day meeting's final action, commissioner Ron Weaner of Adams County proposed a change.

Weaner unveiled a four-point proposal. Most significantly, it would prohibit crossbow users from taking part in the archery bear season and limit them to hunting only the first two weeks of the six-week archery deer season.

Weaner explained his thinking by pointing out that no one knows how many people might use a crossbow to hunt deer and bears this fall, or how many animals they might kill. That calls for some caution, he said, while still giving crossbow users more opportunity than they've ever had.

"I'm trying to move into this a little more gradually rather than throwing open the doors with full inclusion," Weaner said.

Some commissioners are leaning the same way.

"I just want to point out, from my point of view, this idea has pretty strong support on the board," said commissioner Tom Boop of Northumberland County. "It's not just commissioner Weaner."

That could prove significant, given the changing makeup of the commission.

The vote to legalize crossbows for archery seasons statewide passed 4-3 in January. Two of those who voted affirmative, though — Russ Schleiden or Centre County and Roxane Palone of Greene County — are coming off the board. Their terms expired with last week's meeting.

The puts opponents of full inclusion of crossbows in the archery seasons in the majority, at least for now.

One of those is Jay Delaney, a commissioner from Luzerne County. He said Tuesday that crossbows have a place, though he's not sure it's statewide.

Boop agreed, and suggested many hunters do as well. He said most of the 1,000 or so comments he's received on the issue oppose the expansion of crossbow use.

Schleiden — the one who first proposed allowing crossbows in archery season — disputed that, however. Commissioners receive many of the same comments, he said, and it's untrue they were overwhelmingly against crossbows.

"I call it, at best, at worst, a tossup," Schleiden said.

It's not clear whether commissioners might approve Weaner's proposal, or be able to do so in time to impact the 2009-2010 hunting seasons. But he asked staff to determine what would be required to make that happen.

"My intention is that if it could happen in time for this year, I'd like to see it for this year. I'd like to move it forward as rapidly as possible," Weaner said.

"I just wanted to put it out there for people to be aware what we're thinking."

Weaner's proposal

Here are the specifics of Game Commissioner Ron Weaner's four-point proposal regarding when and if crossbows should be legal for hunting. His proposal would:

• Continue the existing crossbow permit program, which allows hunters with a doctor's excuse to use a crossbow in any archery season

• Continue to allow hunters with a muzzleloader license to hunt with a crossbow in the early and late muzzleloader seasons

• Prohibit the use of crossbows in the archery bear season, except for those with a disabled permit

• And limit crossbow use to the first two weeks of the six-week statewide archery season.

---------------------

Commissioner contacts.

Commissioner Gregory J. Isabella secommissioner@aol.com
Commissioner James J. Delaney PGCDistrict7@aol.com
Commissioner Thomas Boop tboop@verizon.net
Commissioner David W. Schreffler [email=c-dschreff@state.pa.us]c-dschreff@state.pa.us[/email]
Commissioner Ronald Weaner rweaner@superpa.net
post edited by SilverKype - 2009/04/27 09:06:57

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.

8 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: crossbow article 2009/04/27 09:07:32 (permalink)
    Commissioner David W. Schreffler

c-dschreff@state.pa.us

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: crossbow article 2009/04/27 10:34:24 (permalink)
    Wasn't this what many, many ,many of us asked for and would have supported in the first place???

Lets hope....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: crossbow article 2009/04/27 10:45:42 (permalink)
    Not really, bings.  At first, it was no crossbows at all.   Once in, yes, we asked for accountibility on harvest.  The PGC has historically followed this path of slow implementation on all seasons.  No reason to not do it here.  Give your commissioners a letter or two. 

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: crossbow article 2009/04/27 12:11:36 (permalink)
    If we are going to have them, it is nice to see an implementation plan that makes a little more sense.....

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: crossbow article 2009/05/07 08:47:20 (permalink)
    David Putnam was sworn in as a new commissioner Tuesday.  That allows for the voting process to take place in June.   Sounds to me like the commissioners are pretty dead set in using a slow implementation.  Good for them.. any resource first person would be too.   I understand the frustration of being granted something then have it taken away.  But it wasn't given to yinz on a resource first basis in the first place, which is historically how the PGC operates new seasons and new hunting tools .. it was given by politics which have no business managing seasons or game.  So while you look at Weaner's proposal as corrupt, the real corruption is how the crossbow got in, in the first place.  You hunters that are taking this to the legislator are making a very big mistake.  We've already begun to see the effects.  Legislation will continue to introduce bills to meet their specific desires (baiting bill, turkey hours, etc..) until the hunters of PA make a stand about legislative interference.  The most real threat to anti-hunting is legislation pulling the strings.  The next greatest threat is hunters supporting it.  The deer wars got that ball rolling.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: crossbow article 2009/05/07 12:11:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: SilverKype

David Putnam was sworn in as a new commissioner Tuesday. 

By all accounts a good choice!! 

My rifle is a black rifle
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: crossbow article 2009/05/18 06:22:44 (permalink)
    Man, the Full Inclusion crowd is sure crying the blues at the inferance that  crossbows may not be used all 6 weeks of archery..
    They got to use them by an end around Smoke and Mirrors vote..
    Now that that smoke and mirrors might come and bite them in the****has them all crying the blues.
    I spent all my money on my new crossbow and can only use it 2 months is their argument now...What a crock!!!!

What hipocrisy!!!!!!

Shows just who the selfish ones in this debate were.....
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2009/05/18 06:28:18
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: crossbow article 2009/05/18 08:33:19 (permalink)
    I think there's a disclaimer on the receipt that you can return the crossbow for full refund if you can't hunt your rutting bucks. 

Jump to: