trolling tin

Author
backin79
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1582
  • Reward points: 0
2009/04/23 07:17:20 (permalink)

trolling tin

Obviously going to be a ten for the water today and into next week! I am looking forward to flatlining some flutter spoons ..i bet the fish will be on top this weekend. glta

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take

11 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: trolling tin 2009/04/27 09:06:58 (permalink)
    It was tough flying but managed a few in the lake, although even in the lake it was tough and so far I'm a seeing a bit of disappointment compared to previous season.

eagleed
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 425
    RE: trolling tin 2009/04/27 12:19:59 (permalink)
    backin:

Try snorkling, as that always seems to work when the water temperature gets above 50.  Trouble with those NYC reservoirs is they are so unpredictable.  Always had luck at Kensico Reservoir in Valhalla on the Route 22 side by the bridge.

Eagle Ed
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: trolling tin 2009/04/27 12:56:16 (permalink)
    Cooney's Point on the Rondout Reservoir should be loaded with big Browns and Lakers until the middle of May.  Everyone seems to fish the bridge near the West Branch and Neversink Outlets near 55 & 55A...

But Cooney's never has anyone.  Since I don't live 6mi from the reservoir anymore I may as well pass that info onto someone who will use it!

If you don't mind a walk you can also pull trout out of the Neversink Reservoir all summer along Aden Brook, or the Neversink River inlet near the old "Big Bend Club".  I spent two years living in Claryville and fished both reservoirs many evenings per week this time of year.

Two words of advice:  CROCODILE SPOON

Silver and Blue...  Flat finish gets them better than the hammered version.  Retrieve it slow enough to get that "swagger" from the spoon and you will be in business.

Lakers will leave by the first week of May on Cooney's Point, but the browns will stick around for another few weeks.  And once they leave, the RIDICULOUSLY huge smallmouth come in to the same haunts.

Good luck down there- the Rondout is good for a few 20lb Seaforellen's ever year, and the majority are caught by locals who fish the locations above.  Spring is great, but the Fall brown runs are insane...

Just don't mention my name around there- everyone is apparently still wondering where I wen

TO be honest, it is probably a good idea to NEVER mention my name anywhere you go. 

Will save you a lot of headaches in the long run, brother!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: trolling tin 2009/04/27 14:41:18 (permalink)
    lol jimmy, you do crack me up.. I caught a 4.5lber off chandlers yesterday and spooned one again in the cove..they are just starting to show on top.. perhaps I was too deep using the dipseys running between 25-30 some odd feet back and forth to the narrows and yes in and out of aden snagging bottom( that is why I know my divers are trolling around that dept .. but sheesh I fished these places for decades.. caught monsters and usually only keep a few small for grilling. the 4-5 lber was released from the net (never touch the fish if you don't have too imo) this is that 15lber me and a friend trolled up some 15 seasons ago right off aden point http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo359/luke7908/oldpics013.jpg
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/04/27 14:52:37

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: trolling tin 2009/04/27 15:03:26 (permalink)
    Ed, you is right about 50 magic number but I caught them with ice on the shore many early april. This week is done and I'm off for pepac with a couple of friends we'll see what's doing in the boats too and eb flyfishing too. I have a few nev pics here but still do not know how to post the photo bucket im http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo359/luke7908/april27001.jpg  wapintheazz thing

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: trolling tin 2009/05/04 19:02:11 (permalink)
    Got back from my vaca upstate... we did pretty good overall, but roscoe bk was crowded and the locals fished all the stockies out fast last week. I managed a few in the stream ..the res was awesome weather and we trolled alot of schoolie sized bt kept a few for eatin /.this one I released unharmed after a quick pose so my friend could take the pic from his boat. Used a jet diver and a @#33 hammered sutton and the blue/silver 1/4 oz (hammered croc. caught a bunch just flatlining both pepac and on the nev.. heard laker on roundout but i didn't bother going it. Last stop did well from shore spooning again blue silver croc for two 2lbers for eatin.

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: trolling tin 2009/05/04 19:22:06 (permalink)
    just over 8 lbs the april res fish!

blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: trolling tin 2009/05/05 19:33:26 (permalink)
    nice! havent even really tried for trout this year. hope i can make a trip to on of the res.s this year.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: trolling tin 2009/05/06 09:17:18 (permalink)
    Blitz thanks, Just a few seasons ago the state made pepac a designated brown trout trophy res. if you are really interestedin this res, you review the special regulations. You must be having a blast with those stripers, and I know from your previous trout pics you know what species,when and where. Man you guys gettin nice stripers! I would too if me or my friend still had a boat. I got to wait till next week! man,,so many areas I wish to fish in May but as we all know the month goes by too fast. anyway good luck

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: trolling tin 2009/05/06 16:49:56 (permalink)
    Back-  You were in the Catskills last weekend too?   **** it -I wish I knew thats where you were, we could have hooked up.  I started in the Esopus and fished south and west til we got to Walton.  Wasn't as good as previous trips, waters a bit low in most streams. Seems like the ressies are the place to be... SWEET browns ya got there. I have a permit but one of the guys we were with didn't, so we never stopped at one.  Another time!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: trolling tin 2009/05/06 19:19:28 (permalink)
    yank you or any of jimmy/tuna club are welcome at my camp.. the only thing is be sure to bring the essentials like like cushions and diffinitely a permit, otherwise you have the EB which really ain't that bad this time of year  ! my site is small but tents and a small party is fine..just not too many if you get my drift. otherwise campground 500 ft down the road has plenty of stay. okay yank !

Jump to: