Trip to Oregon

Author
RIZ
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 915
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/26 01:36:29 (permalink)

Trip to Oregon

spent some time in portland oregon.  on 7/11 i went sturgeon fishing with a local guide, Duane Huber of River Run Guide Service, http://www.usa10.com/riverrun/ . i shared the boat with a couple from CA.  we had a great trip.  i wanted to catch oversized fish, bigger than 6'.  so we used 2 - 3 lb shad for bait.  the rods were heavy saltwater rigs with 80lb braid and 1 lb sinkers with 6/0 hooks.  the boat was very nice to fish from also.  duane was a great captain and put us on some nice fish.  i caught 4 2 babies and 2 big ones.  the big ones were about 7 1/2 feet, 180lbs.  all together we caught 4 big ones and 5 babies

these fish fight so hard, you almost don't want to catch another one, but i managed ;) if the drag is too tight i know these fish would break the rod or pull you in.  i managed to land the fish in about 20 minutes, but is was like doing arm curls with 60lb weight for 20 minutes straight.  i recommend anyone going to the area to try it, you won't be disappointed.
post edited by RIZ - 2007/07/26 12:59:20

2 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Trip to Oregon 2007/07/26 07:50:16 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: RIZ

spent some time in portland oregon.  on 7/11 i went sturgeon fishing with a local guide, Duane Huber of River Run Guide Service, http://www.usa10.com/riverrun/ . i shared the boat with a couple from CA.  we had a great trip.  i wanted to catch oversized fish, bigger than 6'.  so we used 2 - 3 lb shad for bait.  the rods were heavy saltwater rigs with 80lb braid and 1 lb sinkers with 6/0 hooks.  the boat was very nice to fish from also.  duane was a great captain and put us on some nice fish.  i caught 4 2 babies and 2 big ones.  the big ones were about 7 1/2 feet, 180lbs.  all together we caught 4 big ones and 5 babies

how do i add pics?

these fish fight so hard, you almost don't want to catch another one, but i managed ;) if the drag is too tight i know these fish would break the rod or pull you in.  i managed to land the fish in about 20 minutes, but is was like doing arm curls with 60lb weight for 20 minutes straight.  i recommend anyone going to the area to try it, you won't be disappointed.

Youe have to change [IMG] to lowercase. 

That looks like fun!  Congrats.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/07/26 07:52:04

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Trip to Oregon 2007/07/26 08:25:32 (permalink)
    Always wanted to go for them prehistoric fish!

Jump to: