Im going to regret posting this....

Author
Maga2120
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 259
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/24 00:22:12 (permalink)

Im going to regret posting this....

i went out and spent 47 bucks last night on a hunting licence... and didnt even get all the stuff i wanted... i think the price is geting outa control expecially when the hunting is getting worse... is the price going to rise next year??

12 Replies Related Threads

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/24 07:40:20 (permalink)
    I hope the price rises soon.  The PGC needs the revenue.  That money is well spent and one of the easiest checks I write.  It is still a bargain compared to many other states and we have not seen a increase in a long time.  All of my other bills have gone up why shouldn't the cost of a license.

As far as the hunting getting worse?  The hunting is changing, that is for sure.  Those of us that adapt to the changes say the hunting is better than ever.  Myself included. 

Pennsylvania has one of the highest deer and turkey populations in the country.  A world renowned bear program.  Excellent squirrel and waterfowl hunting.  Grouse are down but that is cyclic in nature.  Pheasants and rabbits are down but that is blamed on changing farming practices not the PGC.  And so on and so on.

One round of golf and a beer and hot dog costs me $50.  I would say the $47 I will spend this week is a steal.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/24 09:15:18 (permalink)
    Best money Ive ever spent.

Assume you hunt quite a bit...

You kill one, adult deer... 80-100lbs of meet
    One turkey(spring or fall) ... 12-20lbs
    2 ringnecks... 4lbs
    2 grouse.... 3 lbs
    12 squirrels/rabbits...8lbs
    50 doves.... 10lbs
    10 ducks....20lbs
    2 geese... 16lbs

id say thats a pretty conservative season. Spent what... $75, not including gear? Most gear carries from year to year, the exception being shells/arrows/broadheads... even those sometimes, ive had the same dozen arrows for 3 years now, the same box of rifle shells for 4...shotgun shells are the exception for me.

So, lets say you spend $200 a season, total.

181 lbs of meat, for $200...91 cents a pound.

Even if you only hunt deer and only kill 1, gotta reduce your total season cost to about what..$75.... 75cents a pound for 100% lean meat.

I think were getting a good deal, id pay more for a license for sure. Im in favor of a pheasant stamp, definately.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/24 10:16:54 (permalink)
    It's a reasonable reaction to shelling out over 3 times what it cost when I was a junior hunter, but it could be worse.  If my memory serves me correctly, nearly 15 years ago I spoke with my then brother-in-law who was born in England and he told me that it would cost a person at least a year's time in courses, and at least $10,000 for a license to hunt one species of animal in Europe.  You basically have to become an expert on the biology of that animal.  It's not inconcievable  to think that will happen eventually in the U.S. (not in our lifetime, but eventually). 

I know it's comparing apples to, uhm, European apples, but like what has been stated already, it's still worth every penny for what you really do get in PA.  I just wish the lands purchased with OUR LICENSE money were accessable only to those who actually BUY a license.  Horses, ATVs and mountain bikers... please!  They cause more damage and require more time and energy to maintenance the properties than any hunter.  At least make them have to purchase a license, or even a usage permit.  That's my rant for the day.  
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/24 10:21:42 (permalink)
    I'm right there with you on the pheasant stamp.  That program shouldn't come out of the general license fund.  Besides, my bird gun has been on the shelf with a cracked stock for about 4 years now.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/24 10:29:40 (permalink)

It's too much when you figure the hunters are playing second fiddle to the wishes of the Audubon, timber industry, and other special interest groups. Ex. spending time and money to protect a rat but don't have enough time or money to increase the phesant population. That being said, I recently spent over a grand updating my archery equipment so I guess the license to use it by comparison isn't too bad.

dpms
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3509
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/24 10:53:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: T.T.
    I just wish the lands purchased with OUR LICENSE money were accessable only to those who actually BUY a license.  Horses, ATVs and mountain bikers... please!  They cause more damage and require more time and energy to maintenance the properties than any hunter.  At least make them have to purchase a license, or even a usage permit.  That's my rant for the day.  

It is a well known fact, even among the non-hunting community, that hunters pay for most of our public lands and wildlife conservation.  The day we begin to exlude others from these lands is the day we lose support from the non-hunting public, and that would not be good for us.

These lands are sort of a gift from us to everone, and we must keep up with the public relations.  That is a sacrifice that we must continue to make if we want the continued support of others to pursue our passion.
    Maga2120
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 259
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/24 11:34:51 (permalink)
    i agree with you guys. but i just see our money disapearing and nothing happening..im sure im not seeing the whole story but i bet the G.C gets a pretty big check from licence sales and from the state..and were is this money... maintaining game lands and public ranges cost that much?

I am also infavor of the pheasant stamp as long as it doesnt cost another 15 dollars....i also thought i read on the G.C web page that it was going to be a small game stamp not just pheasant. 
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/24 12:08:24 (permalink)
    Salaries, vehicles, maintenance, insurance, training, new property, leases, etc...

Oh, yeah, don't forget the cost for all those coyotes.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/24 12:11:02 (permalink)
    I suppose so.  I guess it's one thing we pay for in a multitude of ways.(support for our passion and the licenses themselves)  That doesn't mean I have to like it.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/24 12:44:10 (permalink)

So, lets say you spend $200 a season, total.

181 lbs of meat, for $200...91 cents a pound.

Your price per pound would be 91 cents with 200 pounds of meat for $181

181 pounds for $200 is about $1.11/lb

I know-big difference so what!

crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3349
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/24 18:39:41 (permalink)
      Read this one time. How many f's are there in the sent. below?

FINISHED FILES ARE THE RESULT
       OF YEARS OF SCIENTIFIC STUDY
       COMBINED WITH THE EXPERIENCE
       OF MANY YEARS.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Im going to regret posting this.... 2007/07/26 13:42:30 (permalink)
    Jump to: