opening day

Author
jkbugger
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 211
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/31 16:22:23 (permalink)

opening day

Sorry NJ, said I wasn't taking opening day off, well that's changed.

heading down to roscoe to visit some old friends (they are old) at the fly shop before fishing. I'll give a good report as I am looking forward to reports from everyone. Would probably rather be in other spots up here, but haven't been down there in a while.

GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

19 Replies Related Threads

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: opening day 2009/03/31 17:51:53 (permalink)
    Go get 'em brother...  Good luck down there...

If the season opened TODAY I would still be at work on the Onesquathaw...  It looked pretty tempting during lunchtime today.  The weather looks like crap pretty much everyday for the next ten- but I am hoping to slip out at some point and hit the Kinderhook or one of the "Skills" around Albany.

Somehow I just KNEW the conditions last week were too good to be true- since now we are due for a whole lotta' rain for awhile.  But if the storms break on Sunday as predicted I might bring the boat up to Lake George and troll some streamers on the south end and see what happens.

I think my favorite tailwater in Warren County might be a little high and raging for awhile yet. 

Can't wait to hear how you do down there and I hope everyone at the shop is doing well. I'd like to get back to Livingston Manor within the next month and swing in to see Rich Bradley.  He was a really great asset to my fly fishing programs at Frost Valley and is a wealth of info (just like all the other guys down there too).

I am bringing the 3wt to work tomorrow just to "go through the motions" and get back into the swing o' things

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: opening day 2009/03/31 18:34:59 (permalink)
    Jimmy, the Khook didn't look all that bad today, tomorrow is another story.
    Still If anyone was to try their luck tomorrow I'd suggest those tiny brooks up in the Shires, ya know above the Khook  That always was my first spring fishing and would produce as many 4>6" brookies as you wished to play with.Then again you would find that lunker 10 incher in the mix.

Good Luck To all that are able to play....

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: opening day 2009/03/31 20:38:58 (permalink)
    Anybody interested in trying from the portal to the chimney hole , i'll be there early am. For those who can't make it, have a great day tomorrow.. early to bed early to rise.i will fish all day and "tell" no lies , Peace
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/03/31 20:40:01

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: opening day 2009/03/31 20:44:40 (permalink)
    The creeks do look a lot better and will be ok tomorrow it seems. Unfortunatly all my plans this week changed due to my grandfather passing away, very sad times. So this weekend is out for me too. If i get the time Sunday it may do my mind good to get out for a few hours.

post edited by bassinbrian - 2009/03/31 20:45:24
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: opening day 2009/03/31 21:14:01 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassinbrian

The creeks do look a lot better and will be ok tomorrow it seems. Unfortunatly all my plans this week changed due to my grandfather passing away, very sad times. So this weekend is out for me too. If i get the time Sunday it may do my mind good to get out for a few hours.

Sorry to hear of your loss Brian. Warmest regards to you and your family.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: opening day 2009/03/31 21:22:30 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: bassinbrian

. If i get the time Sunday it may do my mind good to get out for a few hours.

hope you get out. a good day of fishing always makes me feel better
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: opening day 2009/04/01 18:16:28 (permalink)
    Brian,  I am so sorry for the loss of your grandfather. My warmest condolences to you and your family.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: opening day 2009/04/01 18:44:47 (permalink)
    79: WELL ? it was a decent morning what did you catch  ?
    hope you did not spend all day on the net (LOL)

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: opening day 2009/04/01 18:50:45 (permalink)
    It was veryyyyyyyyyyy slow fishing, I seen alot of fishermen all throughout the stream, alot of the regs too! I tried midstream in all the best pools.. was glad to give my imput when asked by a fishing surveyor on the river. I asked him how all the other fishermen were doing.. he said he only seen one all day.. I said I seen that fish too a few hrs ago talking to the local who caught it. Anyway, went to the resi and it was just as tough spooning from shore, alot of locals were lining the shore and had zero hits too.Pretty place though, took a few pics just to show how nice the stream looked http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo359//040109001.jpg http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo359/luke7908/040109010.jpg 
    post edited by backin79 - 2009/04/01 19:22:42

backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: opening day 2009/04/01 19:02:01 (permalink)
    Bro, it was so tough, I seen about 30 fisherman, zero,, until around noon a local showed me his 15" bow he took from the chimney hole .. i was egging, even using my smaller rod with a small chrome pheobee..zilt/nadda hit! beautiful water though! gorgeous overcast day .. I gave up and went spooning at 2pm till it rained on me.. lol bro hey I can't lie! It was tough, seen the regs and they all said nothing doing along with he fish surveyor, He also said they are considering a no kill on the esopus,, i said it can't hurt might as well! lol show those trout streams! hoping next time I'll show here a nice german brown from the Delaware basin.. peace and sorry about the stupid neg reply last we bs'd i shoukd know better also. peace

jkbugger
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 211
    RE: opening day 2009/04/01 20:43:54 (permalink)
    sorry you didn't fair well, the BK was great to us. Landed 3 large fish, the smallest was 15" the biggest was 17" one bow and 2 browns all great looking fish.  First fish was about 5 minutes into the day, sometimes thats the kiss of death, but it was just the start to a good opening day.
    All fish took a wooly bugger and hit hard. Should have fished more but standing in waste deep water this time of year can get to you.

Man that trip was just what I needed to get the fishing blood energized.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: opening day 2009/04/01 22:34:29 (permalink)
    jk nothing to be sorry about, I really did enjoy the day.. remember it isn't really about quanity as much as it is about quality.  My reward is that I enjoyed a peaceful day in the mts. the fish are there, just not as many these days (more like years) ..  I enjoy this part of the cats and also wanted this opener. the last few years both spring and fall there is certainly alot less going on in this drink.  I think most here would appreciate the challenge of potential 20+ inch bow fighting mad in a fast stream, certainly nothing like a SR steelie but inside a catskill mt wading mt water natives ? ..(at least for me) it is pure joy.. Anyway, was something I had to do to satisfy myself. I knew the locals and regs would be there and that it would help my own survey of the fishery. .  I'm one of those who remember seeing the esopus in its glory days,  those openers long gone,  when you seen fishermen walking out with bows resembling those of katherine creek . My guess is that it is over fishing and previous flood damage to the ecosystem and other manmade environmental factors that impacted this gemstone. I for the DEC proposals for a nokill at this stage. The bk is good because of such programs.. I know the bk well enough and fish it just about every weekend once the camper is open. k enjoy glad you did well ! enjoy!

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: opening day 2009/04/01 23:48:33 (permalink)
    Fished the Poestenkill am(1.5hr) and pm(2hrs)my son landed one stockie!! Fish are playing hide and seek!!! Passed a good spot on the way up the hill to hit it on the way down should have Stopped on the way up seen a nice 14" Brown taken!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: opening day 2009/04/02 19:50:20 (permalink)
    Thats awesome that you hardy souls got out to continue a tradition. Tomorrow is my day off and plans to fish the Salmon River have been scrapped, very high water up there and more rain expected . Really not into (or getting paid) to put forth the effort to deal with those conditions. So now I again sit here and wait, yea I could fish locally but again it's not in my heart. The forcast calls for the nasty through sat. Blitz, thanks for the gill info but I may just poke around the ADK's on sunday. I know some ponds that have opened up and I'll be thinking trout.

My Opening trout may be Sunday with report to follow.

blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: opening day 2009/04/02 20:20:46 (permalink)
    yeah, i should prolly get in a trout trip soon. but i did get out for gills for an hour today, got 7. lost a big crappie.
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: opening day 2009/04/02 23:29:10 (permalink)
    Hammered some nice trout today in the same spot I fished yesterday!! Landed two natives took one for dinner!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: opening day 2009/04/03 05:49:38 (permalink)
    My ****ed waders I just got fixed sprung yet another leak on opening day, limiting me to shore fishing which sucked bad. Not many places to flycast, and kind of windy too, so I stuck with the spin gear 98% of the time.  Didn't see a fish.  Tried three of my favorite holes,  but without waders... grrrr.  NEVER again will I buy neoprene.  Didnt see anybody with a fish, but somebody said he saw a 24" and a 22" taken by an old guy near Salem, but he may have been BS'ing us- who knows?

TUNA you might want to reconsider... I hear the waters high on SR but lots and lots of steel came in. I hear it was a big day.
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    RE: opening day 2009/04/03 19:39:58 (permalink)
    Yank, i don't use my neoprene cabelas unless it is zero weather, I like my guide series hodgemans (very warm for this time of year.. I have the simms gortex breathables for the warmer weather. I would recommend trying on a pair at gander  mt. they are very good quality breathables at a very affordable price if you want a second pair. Look to fit yourself with the felt boot foot waders.. I like stocking waders but only in the warmer months.. the full boot waders are easy to take off and get on during the cold months. 

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: opening day 2009/04/05 21:51:36 (permalink)
    Back -  I just picked up some breathable ones , and they even had my Size 13 wading shoes. Got the whole spiel on sale at****s for $100.  Big opening day sale there, most of the lures are 20% off and theres tons of deals.
    Jump to: