Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
dpms
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3509
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/22 11:07:20 (permalink)

Time to post my property

This is the time of year that I re-post the property that I have access to for archery hunting in 2B.  Wish I did not have to but I hear are my reasons.

Let me set the stage.  Highly residential with small woodlots.  These woodlots are from 1/2 acre to 4 acres.  I have access to most of these because I haved asked permission from the neighbors and recently they have asked me to post thier property as well. 

One of the preferred methods from some of our local "archers" is deer drives in archery season.  I personally know some of these characters.  They drop off drivers into these small woodlots and push the deer into some off the bigger woodlots where the shooters are waiting.  Usually the drivers do not carry thier bows as to not draw too much attention to themselves.  The foliage allows them to sneak very close to houses and safety zones without being detected.  Admittedly they do move some big bucks. 

I had enough 2 years ago and started posting the property and that of some of my neighbors as well who had no idea that people were walking right behind thier shed. 

Here are my reasons:

1. These hunters do not have permission and will not ask for it.  I have talked to several in the woods and told them they were on private property and should ask for permission.  I gave them the owners names as well.  To my knowledge, none have ever asked for permission.

2.  How ethical is it for achers to shoot at moving deer?  I understand that they may wait for a stationary target but my gut says they will shoot.  They did get a monster 8 point three years ago that they hit in the neck with a lucky shot the severed the Carotid artery.

3.  They forgo scouting and patterning the deer and rely on drives to succeed.  All fine and dandy but for those of us that take the time and do our homework these drives pressure the deer and saturate the area with scent that I have worked hard to avoid.  Pressure a big buck like this and my challenge becomes more difficult.

The PGC was contacted and an officer spoke with some of those involved but no fines were issued.  They do know the game laws and walk a fine line.

What do others think of these hunting practices?  Does anyone have similar experiences as me.  I am curious to what others think.

36 Replies Related Threads

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/22 12:29:19 (permalink)
    Most people do not understand why others post their property. Along with other family members, I own a few hundred acres. This piece of ground is surrounded by a hunting club, and another large piece of private ground. The BTLL (the neighboring hunting club) members routinely tresspass onto my family's ground and do deer drives, litter, smoke and toss cigarette buts on the ground, ride 4wheelers, and have even spent the time 2 years ago, to tear down all the posted signs we put up.

This kind of ignorance and lack of respect is why landowners post their ground. 99% of people do not ask before hunting private land. People fail to realize or maybe don't care that the ground they are walking on, was purchased and is owned by someone else. In most cases, a few jackasses ruin it for the many as ground that was once open to the public, gets posted.

As for deer drives, I have found that so many of those that bich about a lack of deer, also take part in deer drives. The BTLL, who as I mentioned earlier as the club that leases ground near my own, has a "no doe hunting" rule, because they believe there aren't enough deer left. Yet, they continue to unballance the deer herd by continuously doing drives for bucks. Make any sense? Perhaps they dont realize that bucks also take part in "making more deer". I dont believe in deer drives. I prefer to shoot my deer while they arent running for their lives. You cannot make an ethical shot on a deer that is running, nor can you easily identify a deer as a legal buck, or a doe.

Sorry for the rant. This is a subject that often makes me somewhat angry.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/22 12:39:21 (permalink)

The only problem is-what makes you think the posters will stop them. Just like gun laws, the only ones that will stay out are the ones that don't effect you much anyway. The feeling will be "WoW"-- it's posted, there must be a bunch of deer in there, lets sneak in and push them out. Unless you are the landowner you don't have any legal standing to stop them anyway.

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/22 14:11:07 (permalink)
    If they don't have permission, they shouldn't be there.  Plain and simple. 

We drive deer in archery sometimes but usually in the "big" woods.  We try to step up just before an opening, the deer will usually stop before entering it IF the right amount of pressure is put on them.  If they are at a constant run, you are putting way to much pressure on them.  The idea is to have them "sneak" away.   Give a walking buck a "meaaa"  -- he'll stop every time.  How to you know they are shooting at moving animals?  You're assuming that because of a bad hit?  We always get our deer to stop or we don't shoot.  That's the rule.  If those folks don't, they shouldn't have a bow in their hand.  But again, what do you do about that?  Education is the only answer yet that may not be good enough.  I see nothing wrong with pushing deer for whatever season as long as laws are followed.

We got the same problem behind my parents house.  They only own 5 acres -- a neighbor with two kids came within 75 yards of the house last year WITH loaded rifles; without permission.   The result .. posted land.  What else can we do?

Needless to say, I was out shooting some 3-D's this a.m. and jumped two bucks, one being a shooter 8 point .. if they see that buck, I'm sure let'll be sneaking in.  It's up to us to monitor it.   Time will tell.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/07/22 14:16:19

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/22 17:34:28 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: S-10

The only problem is-what makes you think the posters will stop them. Just like gun laws, the only ones that will stay out are the ones that don't effect you much anyway. The feeling will be "WoW"-- it's posted, there must be a bunch of deer in there, lets sneak in and push them out. Unless you are the landowner you don't have any legal standing to stop them anyway.

Before, when the property was not posted, all you could really do was tell them to get off, which I have done many times.  Some still trespass, and with the signs, now they can be issued a citation if caught.  I confronted one last year and politely told him that he was trespassing again and I may pursue the issue farther.  Now at least they know they are treading on thin ice.  I hope that deters them and knowing I am in the woods watching.  We didn't have much of a problem in regular deer season last year.  I am crossing my fingers and hoping they get the message.

As far as shooting at moving deer with a bow.  The big 8 point they got was shot on the run at 25 yards with a crossbow.  Lucky shot for sure.  I wonder how many are hit in the hams.

I don't have a problem with drives in archery if executed properly.  They can be very effective and the only way to get some of these old boys moving outside of the rut.  This crew is driving to move deer period and shoot at whatever presents itself.

Another problem is everyone spotlighting yards at night and seeing some of the big bucks that call granma's garden home.  People know these deer are here and are willing to take chances. 

I know I won't stop them all but I am trying my best and still waiting for someone to actually ask permission.  I may be waiting awhile though.

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/22 18:50:03 (permalink)
    I dont hunt posted property for one reason... theres never any indication of who the hell owns it. A signiture tells me nothing. I cant count how many times Ive stopped to ask one person, to be led to another, to be led to another. Theres plenty of state ground. Half the time, you see a farmer out in a field...IF he will even stop to talk to you, he usually doesnt own all the land anyhow.

I think people need to stop putting up posters that say POSTED... that tells me, dont even ask. A better sign for places who are willing to let you hunt would be "Hunting By Written Permission Only". Contact information sure makes a difference.

Some people dont care, you see my side, which is why I concentrate on known public land. Theres plenty of deer out there, most guys wont even go look to see if a road doesnt smack right into the tree stand.
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/22 21:53:03 (permalink)
    post edited by jaymztrain - 2009/11/16 18:45:47
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/23 15:09:41 (permalink)
    It only takes a handful of people to screw it up for everyone.
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/23 21:48:11 (permalink)
    And a lot of locals that are of the McCool clan.

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/23 23:31:14 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jaymztrain

can't say that i blame any of you. i went crow hunting this weekend to teach my son some gun safety and general "ethics". We went to pa gameland 109 and what a mess. i was not shocked, but very embarrassed that my fellow "sportsman" could treat a piece of property so poorly. i parked in 5 different areas, and every lot was a disaster. the litter piles stretched as far as the eye could see. beer cans, ice bags, food wrappers, ciggarette buts........everything that gets properties posted and permission denied. I cleaned up as much as i could, but it wasn't even a drop in the bucket. I am going to try to get back there next weekend with my kid, only were gonna haul trash bags instead of shotguns.
    NOTE TO MOTHER NATURE AND PRIVATE PROPERY OWNERS: I AM EMBARRASSED BY MY FELLOW HUNTER AND WILL CLEAN UP AFTER HIM.
    I WILL TEACH MY SON AND OTHERS TO LEAVE THE WOOD WITH MORE THAN THEY CAME WITH

Kids having a party in the woods or back there parking are more likely than most hunters/sportsmen to leave all that behind.
    jaymztrain
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/24 06:26:45 (permalink)
    post edited by jaymztrain - 2009/11/16 18:46:21
    raccoon bandit
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/24 11:23:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: "jaymztrain" We went to pa gameland 109 and what a mess.  i parked in 5 different areas, and every lot was a disaster. the litter piles stretched as far as the eye could see. beer cans, ice bags, food wrappers, ciggarette buts

I will guess you parked by the railroad tracks, These areas are used by kids, fishermen, and non hunters that use these areas for plinking, shooting, etc. The parking areas on 97 (2), Donation road (2), Himrod (3), Benson road (1),Sampson Road (1), are kept clean by some one. The rail road "pull offs" are not game lands parking areas. Last year some one dumped tires at the RT 97 parking area. The PGC cleaned it up but never caught the criminal. There is some trash at the actual parking areas, cigarette butts certainly, shotgun shells, yes. The rail road access on Benson Rd is the worst, if you park 100 yds away at the PGC parking area there is little trash. I agree any trash is too much, but to blame hunters for that mess on Benson Rd is not right. Hunters aren't dumping TVs on their way out to the field. I applaud your efforts to clean up any of these areas, This weekend I have work every day, (12 hrs). If you want some help a different time send  a PM. Good luck, thank you for showing an interest.
    post edited by raccoon bandit - 2007/07/24 11:50:08
    deerslayer4
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/24 16:10:36 (permalink)
    dpms
    I drive deer with a crossbow in the 2B area all the time. In fact we get alot of huge bucks out of these areas. Allegheny County has a huge deer problem, they actually have hired snipers with rifles to take deer out of Upper St Clair and Mt Lebanon. Its people like you that don't know how to push deer sucessfuly, therefor try to take other hunters down. First of all you have no right posting someone elses property. The person who ownes the property must sign and post their own property. Why don't you join the girly group whitetail management so you can try to keep all the deer for yourself. If you own a valid archery license in Pa and obey all the pa game laws theres nothing you can do about it. So keep on wasting your time and money on scents and carbon clothing and I'll keep getting my monster bucks.

Later The SLAYER
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/24 16:35:10 (permalink)
    That's a bit harsh.  I don't think he was bashing them for having a crossbow, rather stating what he knew.  Believe me, when I read that, my eyes rolled and I thought, "Okay, here it comes."  But, "it" didn't, and I don't think that's what he's about with this. 

If a property owner wants their land posted, they can have someone do it for them, and no, those signs don't have to be signed.(though I honestly wish they had to have contact info on them)  Could you imagine one of the big timber companies that post sections of their land every now and then having their CEOs out there walking the miles of perimeter tacking up the signs.  I can't.

One last thing.  If you are THE SAYER, then why are you number 4?
    deerslayer4
    New Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/24 18:31:35 (permalink)
    I like the # 4 because thats how may bucks a crossbow hunter should be able to take in a week

LATER SLAYER #4
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/24 20:22:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deerslayer4

dpms
    Its people like you that don't know how to push deer sucessfuly, therefor try to take other hunters down.

Wow, did you read my post at all?  We drive deer too, even in archery, but we have permission to do so.  And yes, they are the only way to see some of the monsters in 2B.  I know that and have no problem with it unless:

1.  You do not have permission to drive the property you are
         on.
    2.  You are taking shots at moving deer.
    3.  You are pushing areas without permission and walking
         past my treestand that I scouted and placed.

If you are not doing any of the above then I say have at it and good luck. 

By the harshness of your response, which seemed off of the cuff, I suspect you may do some of the above.. If so, stay off of my land and that of my neighbors.  We don't want you.

As far as posting my neighbors property.  I sure can post any property I want as long as the owners want it posted.  I had the owners sign every one to.

And by the way, I am not a member of Whitetail Management and I do not agree with some of thier practices.

Hope this clears this issue up a little for you.
    deerslayer4
    New Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/24 21:19:25 (permalink)
    What is it that you don't agree with Whitetail Mgmt?  Sounds like you're doing the same thing by posting property you don't own. I highly doubt you would release the names and phone numbers of neighbors to get permission.  It sounds more like you want the property to yourself.  Maybe you're just jealous that someone got an 8 point out of your area?? Here's a quote from your original post..."All fine and dandy but for those of us that take the time and do our homework these drives pressure the deer and saturate the area with scent that I have worked hard to avoid.  Pressure a big buck like this and my challenge becomes more difficult."  But in your last post, you said you admitted that you push deer too, even during archery?  Sounds a little contradicting if you ask me.   
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/24 22:19:03 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: deerslayer4

I like the # 4 because thats how may bucks a crossbow hunter should be able to take in a week

LATER SLAYER #4

You are not helping. 
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/25 07:41:46 (permalink)
    Like I said in my original post, if you would read it.  I have given out the names of the property owners and have pointed the trespassers in the direction of the landowner.  To my knowledge, none have ever approached the other landowners and asked permission. 

I am not contradicting anything.  I believe drives work, I drive deer, and I have no problem if you drive deer.  I have said all of that before.  I have a problem if you  trespass without permission.  What don't you get??

If I have a stand set up in an area and someone that has permission to be there drives deer, I will move my stand to another area.  Simple as that.  No questions asked. 

Look, access is a major issue in urban settings.  If landowners see you driving deer through thier garden or walking through 10 yard strips of woods between houses, posted signs will go up.  And asking permission becomes more difficult for everybody.  Slob hunters we do not need in our ranks.

So, is my hunch right??
    post edited by dpms - 2007/07/25 07:45:46
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/07/31 19:31:09 (permalink)
    I guess my hunch was right!!  He is probably planning the next drive through someones garden.
    deerslayer4
    New Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/08/02 13:22:52 (permalink)
    Yeah your hunch is right probobly right by your stand
    treesparrow
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/08/10 08:40:49 (permalink)
    Some of you refer to Hunters not knowing who owns what ground, and the lack of knowledge of property lines. There is a booklet available for I beleave every county, that shows Property Owners Names and shows the Property lines. They are not perfect but are a real help. They are called Platt Books and are sold sometimes at the Courthouse or the County Extension Office and cost about $20.00.
    carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/08/23 01:35:28 (permalink)
    I do know for a fact that in 2B guys are posting no hunting signs just to keep other hunters out...
    last year i lost 2 stands... and seen 3 morons walk right under me... i could have spit on the stupid **** morons...
    So i found another out of the way spot and put up my last hang on..
    2B is becoming a circus due to all the stats of big deer killed being we are over run with killers not hunters..
    I still have a few spots that they cant get to so i am good for now!!
    I have seen a few nice bucks so far,but due to shoulder surgery in march still cant pull my bow   and not much time left!! I my have to go to crossbow for one season..
    dpms, dont worry about the **** wipes set a few face high branch snares LOL (you never know) LOL good luck all!!!
    post edited by carpin06 - 2007/08/23 01:37:21
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/08/23 12:32:09 (permalink)
    Yep, it is getting bad.  With access such a huge issue, idiots that do not do thier homework and follow the laws ruin it for those of us that do.  Shame, shame. 
    deerslayer4
    New Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/08/24 09:16:50 (permalink)
    Yeah and it's gonna get worse
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/08/24 12:02:02 (permalink)
    And proud of it I bet. 
    deerslayer4
    New Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/08/24 13:17:25 (permalink)
    I don't do homework I get the job done
    dpms
    Pro Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/08/24 14:18:48 (permalink)
    It is obvious in your posts that you care little of what others think of you or your behaviors.  I personally do not care what people do with thier lives as long as it doesn't effect others. 

In this case it does effect others but I realize you know this already and you will not change.  Good luck to ya.
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/08/24 14:31:44 (permalink)
    I always tested well, too.

Then, one day I figured, "What if I actually applied myself, instead of relying on my smarts?"

I put the time in, read everything I could get my hands on, and located prime habitat, only to have everybody and their illiterate cousins show up and turn the area into a frikin' shooting gallery.  I'll continue to do my homework, I'll continue to put the time and effort in, but I'll be ****ed if I ever pass up on meat at first light ever again.  I'll have the tags, I'll have the written permission, and I'll have the first antlerless deer or legal buck(if I don't fill that tag in archery) that walks in front of my stand.  Low-beards and mouth-breathers, watch out!

ps - If you find a big ole pile of dooky under your stand, then that means you're tresspassing, and I caught you.  I'm one of those fellas that talks to the landowners, gets the permissions, knows the others allowed to hunt there, and knows who belongs where, and I just ruined "your" spot for a few days.  Just hope I didn't hit the Chinese buffet the night before I left that present.

pps -  I've even been given permission to take a stand down if I know it doesn't belong there.  I've never done it, but I've done my best to make sure it's not a productive location.
    crappiefisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3350
    RE: Time to post my property 2007/08/24 18:10:14 (permalink)
    If you ate corn the day before, that would be considered baiting u/no?/
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: