Done with Stripers247 site...

Author
Ship of Fools
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 250
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/29 11:22:25 (permalink)

Done with Stripers247 site...

So i put a post on there responding to the moderator (hung 4 wheeler) saying that i thought herring arrival really depended more on amount of daylight than water temperature....in response to his post of needing a week of 49 degree temps to spur the herring on....he responded... then locked the thread.....

opinions are like...........everyone has one and seems to me as long as our posts are civil we should be able to go back and forth and discuss our opinions and why......to have him lock the thread is bs....and i am done over there....i won't read it and i won't post there....

and here is my logic on the herring

basically i have seen herring show up in the poestenkill in good numbers around 4/15 every year give or take a few days....some years the water temp in the river was in the low 40's and had not been any warmer all year.....if it takes a week of 49 degree weather to get them going then how could they possibly show up when the water was only 40..

other years the water is much warmer yet they still don't show until around 4/15.........the only consistent factor from year to year is the amount of daylight..

you won't catch em on a sabiki in the river until it gets into the 50's but you can consistently net them in the creek while the river water is still cold...

my biggest fish ever was caught on 4/21 one year in 41 degree water on a piece of chunk from herring we netted in the poesty.....42+ inches and 34+ pounds.....hit like a cat and fought like a cat....we were shocked to see a big monster striper show up...i'll post the pic tomorrow

16 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/29 12:05:20 (permalink)

Ship I'm with you on the Opinions and your theory of the herring.
    I have lived on and fished a trib north of hudson for about 40 years now, give that I didn't start going fishing there until age 4. Been fishing stripers and catching herring long before the CRAZE started a little over 10 years ago. Back then I would fish the falls of the trib at night with bucktail jigs and always my fill of big stripers. in 1983 I bought my first boat (still have her) and started fishing from a boat in the trib. Around about then the stripers were on a sharp decline due to the over harvest from commercial fishermen and there were still few recreational fishermen on the river & tribs. Well the Marine F&W stepped in and made changes which proved to change the striper fishing to what it has currently become. The recreational anglers caught on and responded in masses. These days I rarely fish them , the trib is always full of fishermen and at that time of year I spend more time in the ADK's , I like solitude.

So where did I get off track of this thread:
    Yea right around April 15th (some call it tax day but I call it herring run)has ALWAYS been the point in which herring show up in my trib. It may be a few days either side but that is the aprox timing. So what makes them come ? It is biological timing.. think about it just ask any woman when that time of the month is (LOL) . The same thing happens with salmon, it don't matter if the water is too hot, cold, high or low. They will come when their biological clock says it's time to go.

Over the years I do see a problem however with the herring runs. Personally I see too much over harvesting and do feel there needs to be some sort of regulation toward their catch. As said , today there are far more people fishing for stripers then ever before. Their #1 choice and method is to use herring. With so many people netting, catching herring their numbers have decreased. With out some sort of regulation it "may" become a trickle down effect toward all marine species.
    Is it really necessary to collect 100 maybe even 50 herring a day ? I see it all the time on the trib. To me a limit of 20>25 herring per angler per day seems logical. But that’s just my opinion..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/29 15:01:46 (permalink)
    That is BS and as I am not one to keep my opinion to myself I conveyed that very thing to the administrators at 247.

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/29 15:14:17 (permalink)
    well I told folks I'd be going stir crazy this time of year. Just think in another few weeks I’ll be spending more time in the woods then on the internet. Whew a relief to many, myself included.

Now in my last post I discussed a little about opinions to herring run timing. Opinions are for discussing, information is for learning. Please don't take this the wrong way, I value every opinion, and often give my own but I always try to pass along information. If one was to look over the years I have presented a lot of information to this web site, and yes at no cost.
    Now again before the blood starts to boil , lets talk information.

I said it is biological timing that brings the herring in to spawn, as in the past it has typically been April 15th. This information is only toward spawning and has no relevance toward food and migration patterns.
    Spawning fish & animals are based on biological timing due to evolution. It is through evolution that has made their biological timing for optimized reproduction. Each species has it's own patterns to ensure the best chance for survival. Things could always alter these times. Over periods of years natural obstacles could move their biological clock forward or backwards but in most cases they will evolve . Then there is genetically altered changes that can be done by science to forcibly change their reproduction times. We can scientifically change how and when a species spawns or even create non spawning hybrid (tiger muskies, splake, striped bass).

what does this mean ?
    the fish will come when it's their time to spawn.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 798
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/29 15:24:08 (permalink)
    I thought the stork dropped the herring off on Tax Day every year!  No?

Cripes...  Just when I thought I had those lil' turds figured out, I end up back at the drawing board!!!

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/29 15:34:27 (permalink)

HookLineSinker
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 322
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/29 16:07:43 (permalink)
    I hear ya Ship. Last year I decided not to read or post at NewYorkBass dot com. A gentleman there was excited about catching a trophy bass, and said he kept the fish and plans on getting it mounted. He caught this fish in a NYC ressie.

1. The bass was caught in season.
    2. The bass was of legal length.
    3. There are tons of trophies in the NYC ressies.

Here comes the problem. A moderator with a head the size of a watermelon got on this guy about keeping a bass out of the ressies. Said that this was a catch and release website, and not to post about keeping fish. Then he kicked the guy off the site without even allowing this gentleman to respond. I think I'm going to lemonparty that site.

When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/29 19:14:42 (permalink)
    Sent Pm to Striperjim -The "Club" was my lil undertaking and was first asked to "mod" it, but refused because I was "mod" here ... I'm not sure why Hung did that but I think it was totally unfair & I'll be dammed if I'm gonna let someone screw up that club!!! ... SOF before ya give up on that site try to PM Jim and tell him in your words what happened - We are on your side !
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/29 21:32:51 (permalink)
    It's has been addressed by Jim. Threads are UNLOCKED and anything deleted restored.
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/03/29 21:38:34

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/30 06:43:35 (permalink)
    Well done boys!!...............like i said i could be dead wrong (i'm not) but let's educate each other instead of doing what he did........glad to see that common sense prevailed.

I will tell you guys one more thing though...when the fish start chewing i will limit my reports to this site....last year i had a bang up day with 11 nice fish and posted it.......with a vague description of the "Troy Area"..........next day it was a parking lot.........so i will keep it in the family here as it seems like we have all the usual suspects here anyway.

I'd love to hear what that mod has to say.....
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/30 09:03:46 (permalink)
    last year i had a bang up day with 11 nice fish and posted it.......with a vague description of the "Troy Area"..........next day it was a parking lot.........so i will keep it in the family here as it seems like we have all the usual suspects here anyway.

I hear ya SOF, the 1st thing people always ask... "where did you catch them" ??? 

I never say exactly where i'm fishing, people who know me know the general area.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/30 10:36:55 (permalink)
    I am sure there are a trillion guys here reading all of our usual weekly banter- but I agree that this is the site to use as a fishing forum...  While we don't always agree- it remains pretty civil for the most part.

I think it makes a difference in what people say or write when they know there is a very real chance they may end up actually SEEING the people with whom they converse.  When it's all anonymous people seem to be mroe willing to throw a few jabs and bash people they don't even know...

I, for one, much prefer to rip on my FRIENDS as opposed to total STRANGERS !!!

Ice Shanty got out of hand this year...  And "My Fish Finder" is heading in the same direction...

Apparently everyone on that site is a DEC officer and is going to arrest everyone else    

But here we are with our own little FishUSA forum- and "moderated" by a true (and full time) professional... 

See? 

I told you I like to rip on my friends!  Just kidiing Reel Force.  You my boy, Blue... You my boy...

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/30 11:00:45 (permalink)
    Jimmy............Reel Force, Wisdom and i all decided that day on the King that when you are concerned we have to use the term "friend" loosely......

Although since you and i met on the internet my wife refers to you as my "internet boyfriend".........so even she is busting on you....buddy!
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/30 12:16:12 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Ship of Fools

Although since you and i met on the internet my wife refers to you as my "internet boyfriend".........so even she is busting on you....buddy!

OMG I think I ****ed myself.

Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/03/30 13:13:21 (permalink)
    I should have never even gotten out of bed this morning it appears...  Sigh... 

I suppose I should be happy that some of you use the term "friend" with me at all- albeit "loosely", huh?

Then again- people also call me a "fisherman" and that term is used even looser...

I had a few pretty sweet zingers loaded up and ready to fire, but I rethought it and any jokes having to do with people's wives, family or the internet should be treated with tact and sensitivity...  I must be all growed-up, huh?

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/04/09 19:48:05 (permalink)
    Ship, I am getting a kick out of the water temp watchers over there.
    you know the herring wont be here until the temp is such N such, they are holding out in the channel. Ok , I always thought the creeks were warmer ?  So I checked the creek today and nada, really did not think any yet anyways. So today is 4/9, still think 4/15 ? I do..  I'll give a 3 day curve on either side. Think the water temp will be the factor ? Is it really going to change that much in 1 week ? Maybe 2 degs, but it has already been there and done that...

i'll scout it again Sunday 4/12 with the kayak and fly rod, that will start the curve..

Get readey boys it's about to happen, steelies that is (LOL) hope to have a report tomorrow nite.

Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Done with Stripers247 site... 2009/04/10 06:53:19 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

Ship, I am getting a kick out of the water temp watchers over there.
    you know the herring wont be here until the temp is such N such, they are holding out in the channel. Ok , I always thought the creeks were warmer ?  So I checked the creek today and nada, really did not think any yet anyways. So today is 4/9, still think 4/15 ? I do..  I'll give a 3 day curve on either side. Think the water temp will be the factor ? Is it really going to change that much in 1 week ? Maybe 2 degs, but it has already been there and done that...

i'll scout it again Sunday 4/12 with the kayak and fly rod, that will start the curve..

Get readey boys it's about to happen, steelies that is (LOL) hope to have a report tomorrow nite.

Gee...imagine that!...good luck with the silver bullets
    Jump to: