Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet?

Author
Neversink Jimmy
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 798
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/26 18:10:26 (permalink)

Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet?

Well, the ice is finally gone around the Capital District...

Geese are moving in, sun is shining longer each day, and the cover finally came off my boat this week.  It is always a bit unnerving to charge the battery and turn the key that first time...

With my outboard, you never know WHAT is going to happen!

I put the boat in this week and took a few laps!!!  It was great!!!

My neigbors must think I am nuts being out there in the cold, but I think at this point they probably expect that out of me.

It was great to get back out there and rip around a little bit.  I've still got some adjustments to make (and I am in dire need of a new prop) but it looks like she should be ready for Stripers in a month!

Anyone else run their boats yet or put 'em in the water?

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman

16 Replies Related Threads

blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/26 18:16:49 (permalink)
    I hit up burden last week. I'm hoping to fish glass this week end, if not, maybe burden again.
    REEL FORCE
    • Total Posts : 552
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/26 19:06:05 (permalink)
    Put on the "Micky Mouse" ears last week turned the key - fired right up! Carpets vacuumed and washed, seats cleaned and armoralled - trim polished - windshield washed - all packed - just waiting for the Stripers ~!

New York Yank
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 479
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/26 19:40:45 (permalink)
    I took the branches and pine needles off my canoe cover.  Maybe someday I'll take out the canoe
    Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/26 19:49:15 (permalink)
    I put in my canoe last week.  Going to hopefully take my coleman crawdad out tomorrow for some night trout action...   And when i get my boating license next week the real boat comes out for stipers 
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/26 20:36:46 (permalink)
    Yea I un covered the Ranger last sunday and now it's getting wet. Durring the duldrums I have dreams of taking the ranger out but those darn ADK's always seem to pull me in that direction.
    The Ranger needs a good home, someone who will use and enjoy the powerboat. I have put a new 100hp suzuki on it in 2000 and it has VERY low hrs. I always run it juts for prosperity. If anyone is interested I am willing to deal, like I said it needs a good home..

last year when I dreamed of using it.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/26 20:48:07 (permalink)
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/26 20:56:39 (permalink)
    I think that Suzuki would look pretty good hanging off the back of my boat, man!

Then again, I am already worried about the cost of a new prop, and I've still got to find a reliable way to seal some rivet leaks so I am just dreaming...  Besides- 30 horses is all this little toy boat can handle anyway!

I am searching for a full-coat patching material for aluminum.  JB Weld, Alumaweld, Waterweld and all the others work fine, but what I really want is something I can paint the whole bottom with.  I picked up a gallon of aluminum roof sealant at Home Depot last week (on the advice of my mechanic) but I am hesitant to even try to apply the stuff until temps are well into the 60s...  Until then I just work the bilge pumps nice and hard!

Anyone got any other reasonable suggestions on a 'paintable' leak sealer for an aluminum boat?

Something I can bush/roll right on and cover everything below the waterline like bottom paint?

"I love fishing. You put that line in the water and you don't know what's on the other end. Your imagination is under there" -Robert Altman
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/26 21:58:10 (permalink)
    I dug mine out 2 weeks ago and cleaned it out, thought about this weekend but looks like it will be another week for me. Been very busy.

shovel74
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 28
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/26 21:58:44 (permalink)
    Jimmy,
    Have you thought about having the prop rebuilt?  Might save you some cash.....
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/26 22:05:57 (permalink)
    I am searching for a full-coat patching material for aluminum. JB Weld, Alumaweld, Waterweld and all the others work fine, but what I really want is something I can paint the whole bottom with. I picked up a gallon of aluminum roof sealant at Home Depot last week (on the advice of my mechanic) but I am hesitant to even try to apply the stuff until temps are well into the 60s... Until then I just work the bilge pumps nice and hard!

I dont have a whole hull sealant but think I still have some of the stuff we use to seal the rivet leaks in the rental boats. It is a 2 part resin that bonds with the metal. Got it from a guy who worked at GE. They made it to glue the reflectors down on the highways but they discountued it because it worked to well. Let me know and I'll look for it.
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/03/26 22:07:48

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    mcasefish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 16
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/27 09:08:29 (permalink)
    Anyone got any other reasonable suggestions on a 'paintable' leak sealer for an aluminum boat?

Although I have nevr used you may want to check out a product called Gluvit. Most  marine supply stores sell it. They say you can paint it on and it will seal small cracks and leaky rivets and will flex, after it cures you just paint over it.

If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat!
    Neversink Jimmy
    Expert Angler
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/27 10:18:44 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input guys...  HUGE help!

I'd heard about the Glovit but couldn't remember where I saw it...  Once you gave me the name again, I was able to look it up and see all kinds of reviews and suggestions about the stuff.  I even ended up on another forum solely related to aluminum boat hull repair...  Jeesh!

Turns out (for those that care) there is another product called "Coat-It" that is apparently THE stuff....

You can brush it on, roll it on, or whatever...  Sounds like tough stuff, and it sets up in about 10hrs...  Nice!

Of course, just like all the other products, I will need to wait until the temps hit about 70 degrees before applying it to the boat bottom.  And painting while laying on my back (with the boat on the trailer) already sounds like an "Amercias Funniest Home Video" just waiting to happen.  But it would be nice to have no holes in my boat! 

THANKS AGAIN for the input, it was just what I was looking for. 

I bet that road-reflector adhesive is some pretty wicked stuff!!!  I'd be scared that I'd end up glueing my arse to my driveway or something after a few cold ones!  Now, I hope I can return this roof sealant I bought!!!

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/27 10:35:48 (permalink)
    sounds like folks gave some great advice and seems should do the trick.
    i'm out the door now heading to DMV to register my 2 boats, maybe just maybe I may get that ranger wet yet this year. I solved my problem with the 1955 johnson and as it always has been, runs like a dream again. Think today she might just go poke around the river.

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/27 18:46:27 (permalink)
    My fishing partener up on Lake Champlain just called,my boat's in the water Already!!!! Headed to the camp right after the Flea Market!!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/27 20:17:00 (permalink)
    yeah , I used that two part epoxy also know as liquid steel in the tubes for the rivots on small hulls like that. The putty works too for bigger repairs .. same grey stuff , different consistencies for different repairs.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    PHISHAHN
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Anyone Get The Boat Wet Yet? 2009/03/28 11:06:52 (permalink)
    Just throwing this out there, I have a 20hp yamaha 2007, electric start for sale. Motor has never seen salt water, garage kept, less than 100 hours and comes w/stand and gas tank.PM me if interested, Phishahn.
    Jump to: