Mapping,GPS & Topo

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2009/03/22 10:08:44 (permalink)

Mapping,GPS & Topo

something I do this time of year is to map out new locations and plans on pond fishing. Here is a mapping site that is just awesome, it has many different links that allow you to even plot a course. For those who use GPS (I still use a compas, but may break down to new methods) you can set the gps using UTM and get right on the locations.

If your looking to search out new places then play around with this. I'm sure it will open up some new fishing spots.
http://mapper.acme.com/
post edited by hot tuna - 2009/03/22 10:09:27

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

3 Replies Related Threads

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Mapping,GPS & Topo 2009/03/22 11:45:05 (permalink)
    Tuna, reading into this http://fishing.about.com/od/basicfishinginstruction/a/gpswisconsin.htm the future for what is left of what is out here to be shared and not so much for big water but as for the most vunerable impoundments such as brooktrout ponds and simliar limited fisheries, it might be a wise proposal on the part of DEC to limit gps and other fish finding electronic devices likely to impose serious threat of overfishing the smaller more vunerable impoundments. I remember how lucky I felt owning one of the first electronic crystal  display fish finders some 20 years ago.. with all due respect for mt. pond brooktrout ponds (especially native species) I feel alittle remorse using electronics these days  The old saying is we are at our best when we have to be jmho,

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Mapping,GPS & Topo 2009/03/22 12:47:58 (permalink)
    the fact still remains the same, the fish dictate the catch, everything else is just fishing. I don't own a gps and still rely on my map & compass skills. no matter how well I know an area such as in the adk's or even for the 800 acres I have hunted in Oneonta for the past 20 some years . I still always carry a topo map & compass of the areas. The site I posted is basically what I use to obtain topo maps (thank goodness for our early surveyors) otherwise most of the mountain areas would still be untouched. Every year I spend a lot of time looking over topos in search of a new fishing location. Each year I make a plan to fish at least 3 new ponds and last year I made it to a record (for me) 7 new fishing locations. I always keep a log and mark my maps with the locations in which fish were caught (or not) and keep them for future reference. I do this on all lakes, streams & ponds which I fish. It is invaluable and I'm quite sure this has been done for many years preceding electronics.

As for electronics, I own a few on my bass boat but only really used them for depth & structure. with today’s advancement they are much better then the ones I have. Still I struggle with the thought of paying hundreds of dollars for the new GPS units (good ones) to work the ADK's in my search of ponds when I can do the research and use a map & compass. But in this lazy mans world that may soon change things for me.
    we'll see.... Heck, I have had the internet for over 10 years now and own a cell phone for about 3..........

search & enjoy, not destroy.............

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Mapping,GPS & Topo 2009/03/22 13:37:57 (permalink)
    I guess for now until I really feel the need , I like it keeping it simple me too with my atlas and compass /though for emergencies I do see reason for a cell phone and  gps for trailing big parks and on big water.  i'm signing off! later

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Jump to: