Don't fence me in!

Author
T.T.
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1656
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/17 16:46:32 (permalink)

Don't fence me in!

Well, I just got done reading the article "Unfair Chase" on pg 35 of the August Field & Stream, and I'm irritated.  These "business-men" who operate high-fenced game ranches believe they are equally important, if not more important to the future of hunting in America.  Phooey!!!  They are relatively un-regulated, and can't even be accurately counted.  They also have been a large factor in the spread of CWD.  Also, they screw with genetics.

Merle Shepard, v.p. of Safari Club International is quoted as saying, "We have to tolerate each other, because if we fragment into smaller and smaller groups,we make an easier target for the antihunters out there." 

Again, PHOOEY!!!

The second part of that quote is something I echo on the crossbow issue, but the idea that we have to tolerate them is ludacris.  I've made the argument for decades that hunters are necessary in our country in order to sustain healthy herds of non-predator animals, since human encroachment dictates that predatory animals be controlled to the point that they have no impact on herd control.  High-fence shooting galleries void that arguement, thus give fuel to the antis' fire.  I can't have a strong foot-hold in a discussion with the few anti-hunting people I know as long as this crap continues.  What's next, video game-style hunts?  Oh, wait.  They've already tried that one.

I've never been big on government involvement in small businesses, but these places should be outlawed.  They can't even contain those animals 100%.  Unless I'm mistaken, these places are responsible for the infestation of feral hogs that many states are dealing with, even PA.  I don't want the freak-DNA in their "livestock" to mix with the wild game animals roaming our lands, and I certainly don't want them gaining acceptance by the record-book folks, which thankfully hasn't happened yet.  If you think Donny Beaver is creating problems with his pellet-head trout, wait 'til he figures he can fence in less property and charge just as much to hunt "pellet-hogs".  That is, unless he already does.

4 Replies Related Threads

T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Don't fence me in! 2007/07/17 16:56:09 (permalink)
    And, no, I don't have a problem with camps or clubs leasing lands to exclusively hunt, as long as those lands aren't fenced in with genetically-altered, livestock-like herds.
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Don't fence me in! 2007/07/17 18:42:26 (permalink)
    TT... Donny ALREADY had the high fence deal. In julian pa, where the headquarters is now it was called Paradise Ranch if I'm correct.

Now, to me this is a different issue, but I agree with shooting preseves(birds) because the lack of wild birds is just not fair to good dogs!

Paradise Ranch - not as robust as it used to be with game, I like how they advertise the fence now as "Game Proof" as if they always wanted to keep stuff out not in

http://www.toparadise.com/PRinfo.html
    http://www.toparadise.com/
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/07/17 18:46:15
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Don't fence me in! 2007/07/17 22:39:35 (permalink)
    "game proof"....there's my laugh for the day!

Fenced in enclosures like that one are often major causes of the spread of CWD. If anyone still has the ignorant idea that Don Won is a conservationist, this should make you think twice. Fenced in deer, and pellet fed trout....what a fine operation he runs. lol
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    RE: Don't fence me in! 2007/07/19 14:31:51 (permalink)
    This is what I'm talking about.  I caution those who are easily offended, as this footage is very graphic.

http://www.real-hunters.com/full.swf

This has to be stopped.  We have enough problems fighting the anti's efforts to stop our great tradition.  Managing herds and harvesting meat, while introducing our children to the outdoors and shooting sports, are in serious jeopardy.  We DO NOT have to tolerate this!
    Jump to: