Mountain Goats in WV??????

Author
willyfister
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 35
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/15 22:31:32 (permalink)

Mountain Goats in WV??????

I was driving home from Myrtle Beach going thru West Virgina on RT 19 north of Summersville and noticed on the cliffs on the hillsides along the road a goat on the cliffs. My wife seen one last year when we were headed home and I thought she was crazy but this year I seen it with my own eyes. From what i could tell their weren't any farms around their may have been but like I said their were lots of cliffs and this one was on it. I don't know if their are mountain goats in West Virgina and was wondering if their was.

4 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Mountain Goats in WV?????? 2007/07/16 00:12:07 (permalink)
    You can find almost anything in WV
    I have heard of wild boar-probably ferral pigs or farm escapees.
    A mountain goat might just be an escaped farm animal.
    Goats milk and cheese is popular.

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8507
    RE: Mountain Goats in WV?????? 2007/07/23 21:56:38 (permalink)
    Ahhhh! Give me the fudge.

Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2852
    RE: Mountain Goats in WV?????? 2007/07/24 19:11:58 (permalink)
    Willy -

Saw the same thing two weeks ago on 19, about five or ten miles south of 79 before you get to Somersville heading to Myrtle Beach.  It was on the southbound side up on a cliff.  My first thought was, "Holy crap, that's a mountain goat."  Didn't look like the domestic variety, but then again I only saw it for about 5 seconds.  Then I started thinking it might have been an albino deer, but wasn't quite big enough for a deer, and it had horns that didn't appear to be in velvet. 
    longbeard
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 8
    RE: Mountain Goats in WV?????? 2007/07/26 11:48:57 (permalink)
    Yes they are goats,,but they are domestic goats that over the years have gone wild....ie,,,either slipped away or where released...by families quitting farming,,,,have seen them since the 60s. Can grow quite impressive horns!! and often sound like deer coming threw the woods...But you can often smell them before you see them....Found in several counties in the Eastern Panhandle....not looked on as game,,,but more of a compitor to wildlife..best longbeards
    Jump to: