Legend Ultra Opinions

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/26 07:24:14 (permalink)

Legend Ultra Opinions

Just wanted to get the opinions of any current or former owners of Legend Ultras, specifically the lighter ones (3-5), as to how they fish, cast, etc.  Really, even general impressions of the rod.

Thanks in advance.

5 Replies Related Threads

bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2527
    RE: Legend Ultra Opinions 2009/02/26 10:08:35 (permalink)
    I have a 8' 6"" 5 wt. Love the rod. Broke the tip off once due to an unfortunate incident in regard to a storm door slaming shut on it. St. Croix replaced the rod in a timely manner. I own rods that cost two, to two and half times what I spent on the Legend Ultra and as far as I am concerned it is as good if not better than the more expensive ones that I have. I would be willing to part with most of the other rods I have, but not the Legend Ultra. That's how much I enjoy useing it.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Legend Ultra Opinions 2009/02/26 10:20:40 (permalink)
    Question on the warranty...if I'm not the original owner, how much of a hassle can I expect from Croix?  I've heard reports that Orvis doesnt really care who bought it off the rack, but some other companies might get nit-picky.  What kind of service did you get from them?
    bigfoot
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2527
    RE: Legend Ultra Opinions 2009/02/26 11:10:16 (permalink)
    I was the original owner and St. Croix replaced the rod. I paid a charge for shipping. Good service. Don't know what the policy is for subsequant owners. I also broke a Scott rod that had a lifetime replacement warranty for the original owner. I bought the rod from a buddy of mine. I called Scott and spoke with a lady and told her although I was not the original owner of the rod I knew who was and what could they do for me in regard to getting the rod fixed or replaced. She said sent it back, cover the shipping charge and they would repair or replace it. I sent it back and shortly thereafter received a brand new rod from them. Great service from both St.Croix and Scott.

"If someone offers you a breath mint, take it.

fishlesswonder
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 70
    RE: Legend Ultra Opinions 2009/02/26 15:27:04 (permalink)
    If you aren't the original owner st croix will fix it for $50.  plus shipping.

Check out the warranty page at www.stcroixrods.com

The best part about fishing with me is you never have that annoying fish smell on your hands afterwards.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Legend Ultra Opinions 2009/02/26 16:44:12 (permalink)
    My 7'9" 4wt legend was covered under their old unconditional warranty.
    My newer 8' 4wt. Ultra Legend came with the recent limited warranty.

The newer Ultras are lighter, finer tipped and crisper than the original Legends.
    I really like the 8ft 4wt. for small to med sized streams. I think its better suited for dries but I have landed steelhead with it and have also fished 26 midges on 7X tippet without problem. It can also casts a 5wt line well. (grabbed the wrong reel once). I fish it with a Rio Classic line. I'm usually good for 45ft and in.

Gone Fishing
    Jump to: