Be Safe Out There

Author
hot tuna
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 6388
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/25 20:10:36 (permalink)

Be Safe Out There

Locally the season is winding down. I know, some don't want to give it up and yes there is still plenty of ice . I'm just saying , the ice is turning grey and soft. Please be smart and use caution.. Avoid inlets or outlets, they will be the first to go. Wear your Picks , carry a rope and always best to fish with a buddy.
A friend fell into the ice back in Dec, he was alone dragging his fish trap. He went in , all his gear sunk and he spent 20 min. trying to pull himself out WITH picks. He was about to give up when he finally made it out. Needless to say, he lived for ice fishing, but has not been out sense. Some may know him by Got'em .

Please, Please enjoy the late season and be safe...

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen

4 Replies Related Threads

Perch Inc.
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 707
    RE: Be Safe Out There 2009/02/25 20:36:48 (permalink)
    Thanks RJ!!!!!!!!!  Be Safe ALL so we can fish next ice season!!!

Monster PERCH Rulz!!!
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Be Safe Out There 2009/02/25 20:48:45 (permalink)
    yeah, thanks, the lake i plan to fish late season had almost 20'' on it over a month ago... hope it lasts!!
    Wisdom
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 374
    RE: Be Safe Out There 2009/02/25 21:37:10 (permalink)
    After my last time on the ice, seeing the degrading conditions, I all but called it a season and turned my attention to preparing for trout. I am left to fish by myself most the time as others don't have the flexibility in their schedule that I do and risking going through while alone is not one I'm willing to take. Like Tuna said "be smart and use caution". Better safe then sorry and live to fish another day.

Here are a couple vids with different techniques of what to do if you go through the ice,,,,,,

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6843398&page=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysnKtuUTt8k
    post edited by Wisdom - 2009/02/25 23:16:41

A Bad Day of Fishing Beats the Hell Out of a Good Day at Work!!! But work ain't to bad either...flyshack.com
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Be Safe Out There 2009/02/25 22:34:58 (permalink)
    Agree with all of the above. I was thinking trying one last time but won't take any chances if conditions are not safe. If it is slush and water on top of ice, and warming temps  I won't bother . Only if it is hard ice of at least 7 inches /no heavy surface slush melt I just might try before the weekend. I'm no risk takers bridging open water  shorelines thinking the ice is still thick and safe once out on the main lake away from the shore melt.  I seen too many do it and I never would recommend it at all, there should be a law against it.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Jump to: