Fly fishing Scholarships

Author
tmh0209
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 16
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/24 08:29:44 (permalink)

Fly fishing Scholarships

I am a senior in high school and I am getting ready for college. I have come to the conclusion that you can get a scholarship for anything, like writing with your left hand. There are all differant types but i have not seen one yet for fly fishing and I was wondering if anyone knew of any type.

Its better to do nothing and be happy than to be doing something that makes you completely miserable

13 Replies Related Threads

Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/24 09:11:16 (permalink)
    Look into Penn State main, they have a fly fishing program that parallels biology and entomology.

And let me be frank, as far as you getting a scholarship for fly fishing, wish in one and sh*t in the other; see which fills first....
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/24 10:34:40 (permalink)
    those **** scholarships for writing and creativity...

fly rod and reel (i think)  did a top 10 fly fishing colleges like 5yrs ago
    Penn state was there
    think about the time of the year you are in school (sept-april)
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/24 11:23:47 (permalink)
    a couple words of advice...fly fish in your leisure time, pursue a college education in something other than fly fishing.
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/24 11:37:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: tmh0209

I am a senior in high school and I am getting ready for college. I have come to the conclusion that you can get a scholarship for anything, like writing with your left hand. There are all differant types but i have not seen one yet for fly fishing and I was wondering if anyone knew of any type.

tm, i got a program on my comp. that i can print you out a diploma for anything you want. you can even frame it for your wall.   ~dt

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

tmh0209
    New Angler
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/24 15:49:41 (permalink)
    yea.. i am actually going to a college. Penn state in fact thats the whole reason i am applying for scholarships not to pursue a career in fly fishing???? I was just wondering if there was just something out there maybe a comepetion or something. And double taper thats cool that you have that program where do you get it???
    Kjh i was actually looking at that issue the other night i liked that article alot.

Its better to do nothing and be happy than to be doing something that makes you completely miserable
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/24 23:31:56 (permalink)

here you go tmh, copy and paste. suitable for framing
    post edited by doubletaper - 2009/02/24 23:34:06

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/25 00:07:13 (permalink)
    I don't think one can get MSA, in "slam dunking" either. He's talking about a scholarship, not a degree program. I am not sure if there ARE any. But it wouldn't be a bad idea, for someone like TU to develope a scholarship program, or competition. The PSA, provides a small sholarship to our hatchery manager.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/25 00:20:44 (permalink)
    Do some searching, and you MAY find one. I found two ( not necessarily FLY fishing ) in just a few minutes.

http://www.hbgfc.com/scholarships.php

http://www.aie.org/College/Scholarships/detail.cfm?id=6034

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/25 00:27:21 (permalink)

Step Up, or Step Aside

GL
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/25 01:03:16 (permalink)
    I have never heard of any specific scholarships for fly-fishing here at PSU.  I am not trying to be a smartarse here, but have you thought about trying for the more traditional ones available?  Good grades and/or good SAT scores along with a bit of effort on your part will likely get you some money.  Also, if you do choose PSU, specific colleges within the university have scholarships available.  I was awarded a decent chunk of change just for choosing my major and having decent grades.  So, by choosing a field which PSU is recruiting heavily for, you will have a greater chance of getting some extra support. 

By the way, don't get too excited about taking the fly-fishing courses here.  I have already taken the beginners one and I am currently in the "masters" class.  If you have spent more than 3 days fly-fishing in your life, you probably know more than both classes combined will teach you.  I am not knocking it, but the way they talk it up I figured it would have gone a little more in-depth.  Oh well, I guess I can't complain too much for getting gen-ed credits and A's for fly-fishing.
    tmh0209
    New Angler
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/25 09:03:56 (permalink)
    Doubletaper do you even know what a scholarship is???? let me explain its something you apply for to help with money that should be a simple enough explanationfor yourself. its Not a degree.

Thank you spoonchucker for showing me those

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/25 10:38:23 (permalink)
    tmh, yes i know what one is! sorry, i was just kidden around. 
    have a friend who's son got a golf scholarship and pursued an education in golf at a pro golf career college. i'm not sure there is a fly fishing career college but i thought a certificate would look good on the wall.
    i'll remember you're touchy when you ask a question. my bad!
    good luck though!!  ~dt

i didn't know one could get a scholarship for writing with their left hand.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2009/02/25 10:53:25

it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dealinsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 318
    RE: Fly fishing Scholarships 2009/02/25 11:43:00 (permalink)
    I was a geography major at Penn State, got there in 2003.  I couldn't get into the fly-fishing course so I decided to join the Penn State Fly-fishing club instead.  Our faculty advisor was Greg Hoover, so there was a constant supply of information.  We had guest speakers like Joe Humphries, George Harvey, Lefty Kreh, Dave Rothrock, George Daniel, Doug Shields, and many others.  I was elected VP so I even got to chat with the guests over free dinners from the Tavern or Allen St Grille!  In my personal opinion, Mark Belden wasn't a very helpful person unless approached, I tried for my three years to get into the fly-fishing course but couldn't.  Most of the people either have no experience in it or are Continuing Ed students (55 yrs old +).  I made my schedule so all of my classes were on M,W, and F, and I was done by 11.  I fished everyday after class, either on Spring Creek, the Little J, or the Spruce project waters.  We did alot of exploring the mountain streams in the area as well.  Follow up with TU or even the PA F&B because there are general "outdoor" related scholarships out there.  Most of the time you have to write an essay or something similar, so keep that in mind when you look.   
    Jump to: