Smallie Fever: Allegheny River near President

Author
Dam Fisherman
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/10 11:09:31 (permalink)

Smallie Fever: Allegheny River near President

I went up to my in-laws for the week. They live in the small town of President.

After an unsuccessful attempt to fish at Tionesta I decided to wade the Allegheny.

I fished at the campground at President Road at what I think my father-in-law said was Nelson Creek?

At any rate there are two creek mouths, one that leads to residential housing and the other leads straight to the campers in the campground. The residential mouth of the creek is sandy and lifeless. The campground mouth is in my opinion awesome smallie habitiat. It goes from a sandy bottom to an entirely rock covered bottom. I caught smallies for 3 straight days until my arms got tired and my waders wore the skin off my calf. All fish were very nice and average size was 15 inches. I'll post the pic or two I took when I get them developed. I was alone and could wade to the middle of the river and was too lazy to keep going back for my camera.

I also tried for some pike/muskie. I had one follow, smallish pike, but no success so I stuck to the smallies. The water was very clear and I saw every single strike. I had an absolute blast.

If you get the chance try this area out. Forgive me for not knowing the names of creeks and roads exactly because I'm not a local to PA anymore and it was my first time fishing there.

On that note, if anyone has a clue of where I'm speaking is this a good muskie spot when the creek is stocked with trout? I'd like to try next year, or if they stock in Fall and I'd rather catch what's eating the trout.
post edited by Dam Fisherman - 2007/07/10 11:12:05

3 Replies Related Threads

Allegheny Jet
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 21
    RE: Smallie Fever: Allegheny River near President 2007/07/10 12:01:46 (permalink)
    Nice job on catch!  The river is in perfect condition right now.  The water is low and clear, the algae that grew on the bottom is gone, the weeds have not grown up yet and the river is full of bait fish near shore.  Any type of bait, lure or presentation you want to use will work.  When the weeds start to float down later in the summer throwing crank baits or using a bottom rig will get fowled with grass quickly.  I fished from a boat this past weekend and also had a lot of sucess C&R'ing smallies in swift water and kept two 22" walleyes.  The bottom conditions you described are the norm for the river all the way down to Parker.  I would think for Musky you need to cover a lot of water using big baits, spinners or lures.
    Dam Fisherman
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 39
    RE: Smallie Fever: Allegheny River near President 2007/07/10 13:56:58 (permalink)
    I caught quite a few on jointed rapalas while casting into the current. The current would create all the action I needed and I could hold the plug in one spot. I switched to rooster tails, my favorite smallie lure goof on me if you'd like hehehe, and couldn't keep them off my line. White worked the best.

Yah, I was just hoping to get lucky with the muskie even though I was only wading. I talked my bro-in-law into going for them at the mouth instead of the trout when they stock. I like fishing areas right where I'm at as opposed to traveling far distances. I've always been more proud of catching a nice fish in my own backyard than any guided saltwater trip I've been on. I like to walk out the door and be in the water in 15 minutes or less. Glad somebody else knew the area I was speaking of. It's a very small town.
    JSHAFish
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Smallie Fever: Allegheny River near President 2007/07/11 19:32:52 (permalink)
    I know the area your talking about, we do the float from Kibbe's to President about twice a month, stretch below the canoe rental always treats us well for smallies!
    Jump to: