granom hatch

Author
citysticker
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 96
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/17 02:16:05 (permalink)

granom hatch

does this hatch occur mostly in northwest pa and early in the season as in march thur late april. i will be fishing little sugar creek this year and ive heard about this granom is the go to fly there.

2 Replies Related Threads

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: granom hatch 2009/02/17 17:23:40 (permalink)
    I'll try to help you out some but Eggsac knows this crick far better than Ole' dano.
    The bug hatches in certain streams all over North America.
    Grannoms are a nickname for all the species of the genus of caddis pronounced bracky-sen-truss.
    They start to hatch in April. The exact time depends on the type of Spring we have. Early Spring with lots of sunshine usually produces an early hatch.
    The earliest hatch I've recorded for that area is April 14. The latest first hatch I've recorded is May 2.
    Duration of the grannom hatch usually  last from 10 days to 5 weeks. Duration depends on how many species a stream might hold as well as weather related events.  
    All species in this area are charcoal colored to dark brown. Good dries are dark elk hair caddis, x-caddis and cdc winged caddis.
    Usually any dark colored wet fly, soft hackle or nymph work well before and during the hatch if the fish aren't rising. Black pheasant tail, partridge and peacock, zug bug, GLF sparkle pupa, dark hares ear..they all work.
    Evening egg laying caddis can be copied by dries or weighted diving caddis.
    Dries are fun to fish but swinging wets high in the water column can get you some vicious hits.

Gone Fishing
    strandman220
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 140
    RE: granom hatch 2009/02/17 20:04:05 (permalink)
    Dries are fun to fish but swinging wets high in the water column can get you some vicious hits.

dano... Right on. I love fishing 3 wets during the grannom hatch. The action is maybe the fastest of the year.
    Pickett Pin on the point. Hares Ear. Then the old Leadwing Coachman on the hand fly.

Nothing feels better then a hard strike on a wet fly. Perhaps my favorite tactic in all of flyfishing. And this is the hatch to try it on.
    Jump to: