Shooting into the abyss??

Author
SilverKype
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3842
  • Reward points: 0
2007/07/09 10:43:42 (permalink)

Shooting into the abyss??

So .. let's hear it .. how far is too far for a bow and arrow shot at a whitetail??

I've watched repeatedly, a fella on the outdoor channel taking some pretty long shots in the past.  Yesterday .. I watched it again and it took them hours to recover the animal.  Then I watched him shoot a buck quartering forward.  That one sent me over the edge.  I've been in contact with this person and have let them know how I feel about it.  They say they are not long shots.  So what's the magic number? 
post edited by SilverKype - 2007/07/09 11:42:38

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.

14 Replies Related Threads

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/09 11:42:04 (permalink)
    I understand that we could get into talking about particular situations .. open field, thick woods, angles, etc... I'm just hoping for a general number.
    post edited by SilverKype - 2007/07/09 11:45:50

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/09 12:15:00 (permalink)
     I consider too far a shot over 30 yds. Maybe it's just me but I just don't feel comfortable taking a shot over that range.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/09 13:12:42 (permalink)

I think it depends on the skill of the shooter. 30 yards is the max I can be reasonably sure of consistent clean kills. I have watched target archers keep 90% of their arrows in a 6" bull at 70 yards so discounting all the variables that go into hunting. their max range would be much better than mine. I used to measure the shots I made and as I recall the average shot over my first 20 or so bucks was 17 yards. Many of those were with a recurve and I must say the compound has increased my comfort zone.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/09 15:58:09 (permalink)
    The longest shot I have ever taken was 32yds. The doe that I killed with that shot only ran about 30-40yds after the shot and fell over within sight. It was a complete pass through. I estimated the deer to be at 25-30 yds away before I shot. After it was all over, I used a rangefinder to get the true distance. It said 32 yards from the base of the tree I was in.

I am saying my limit is 30 yds. I shoot clear out to 50 yards while practicing, but would never feel confident shooting that distance in the field. Practicing at longer distances has improved my confidence at 30 yds to the point where I am confident at that range in the field.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/09 16:01:06 (permalink)
    BTW Jon, good topic!

Let me add another question....How close is too close?
    steelyjon
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/09 17:15:35 (permalink)
    I would say whatever your comfortable with, But never stretch your comfort zone. I put out yardage markers in all directions, And practice those 40 and 50 yard shots all summer, allthough I have never taken a 50 yd shot at a deer ,I've Killed Quite a few Respectable Bucks at my 40 yd markers. But I know what you meen about the long shots on tv, I watched the guy from team realtree actually tell the cameraman that the deer was out of range, but I think I can make the shot. Long story short He did make the shot and got the monster buck at 72yds. Now I think thats to far for anybody, especially on tv were the average guy can see that And think its allright to take a long shot like that. EVERYBODY that bow hunts alot Knows that you dont allways make a perfect shot, So I guess what I'm trying to say is that before you take that long,maybe shot ,Try to remember that Gutwrenching sick to the stomach feeling you had the last time you had one get away from you, and let him walk away for now.  Just my two cents
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/09 17:29:33 (permalink)
    I saw three consecutive people in a row shoot bucks in the guts yesterday. They were like, we shouldnt show this shot cause we'll catch heck but these Rage broadheads are so destructive.... no your an @sshole, plain and simple!
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/09 22:44:52 (permalink)
    Jeremy.. that was the show I'm refering to.  Wild Outdoors.

I will agree that decision making should be based on upon skill however, to an extent.  I don't agree with any shot over 30 yards.  Speed of sound travels 1100 fps.  We've all seen what a whitetail can do at the sound of a bow.  I've never had one duck or jump an arrow and result in a wound or miss BUT .. it can happen.  I'd likely have a few monsters on the wall from taking chances and a few more likely rotted in the woods.  Not worth it IMO and I'm fine with the decisions I've made.  In the end, it's your choice but if you shoot greater than 30, you've wounded your fair share.  If not, you haven't shot many long shots or your not telling the truth.

That said, you've got the option of never telling anyone if you make a mistake or shoot an irresponsible shot BUT, those shots do not belong on TV with a "TV range finder" showing the viewer you're launching an arrow out to 45 yards at a whitetail.

Kyna yesterday, the girl that made a gut shot, made an honest mistake.  I don't wholeheartedly disagree with showing that shot and explaining what happened and that the animal will die without a doubt given some time and will be recovered not far away.  Fuel for anti's .. yeah, probably. 

I sent the email because of them showing long shot distances and because of the quartering shot.  Also, Kyna's shot was a pass thru but somehow the arrow got stuck in the deer half way as the camera came upon it.  They pushed it back thru and showed the "size" of the hole with the arrow sticking out.   Why?  It was clear to anyone with a brain, it was marketing for a new product (the Razor or Rage, whatever).  Showing disrespect before AND after the shot.  Pretty pathetic!!!

During the quarter towards shot I saw the arrow penerate maybe half way.  The illumi-nock left no doubt where it entered.  He tried to blame the angle of the camera man.  An arrow from a 45 pound bow will pass thru a whitetail.  I've done it with 42. 

Sorry to talk lowly of other hunters but some, don't even deserve to be in the woods not to mention promoting on TV.

Too close?  From a tree?  I like to think of never shooting a deer at an angle of less than 45 degrees.  I generally get up the tree about 16-18 feet so ... that'd be no closer than 5.33 - 6 yards, if my math is correct.  On the ground?  Dad cracked a doe on the****a few years back (with orange on btw)..  I guess that'd be too close for ground.   

Watch the show and judge for yourself.  His son will be on next week shooting a couple doe.  He thinks I'll enjoy it!!!!!  Guess we'll see..
    jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/10 08:56:21 (permalink)
    Why is it ok to shoot "a couple doe"? I never quite understand why these guys need to kill kill kill to show success in the outdoors. Im happy to see random stuff and never take a shot as long as I am not at work. Africa hunts they show are the worst. Guys shooting 15->20 animals in a day, all hundreds to thousands of pounds! Im happy to shoot one grouse!

I guess some base how good their season was on how much they killed. Would you believe it if I told you last year was the first time in the last 3 years of archery season that I even bothered to draw. I saw lots of deer in those three years (ive hunted archery about 10 years now) and even earlier last season. Deer that would have been DEAD had I wanted, but never even drew! I hunted 14 days of archery last year(with working) and had a shot presented almost every day out. This year when I got my license, the doe tag from last year was still in tact. Could have used it, should have used it a couple times. But.... Im just now completely out of venison.

Ive never once seen a hunt on video where they didnt at least shoot. You never see them letting animals walk. If the bucks arent there, instantly its a "management doe". Ha! Hunting shows really are a joke. Id rather see amatuer videos from people on this site who hunt.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/07/10 08:57:48
    treefrog20045
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 54
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/10 13:31:41 (permalink)
    I really try to make it no more than 25 Yards.Most of my deer are taken in the 10-15 yard range.Longest was about 45 yards on a doe slightly quartering away,standing still,unalerted.I almost didnt take the shot but after 15 minutes of watching her.(Nerves settled)And making hundreds of shot at that range on target,I took it and double lung pass through.
       When I was younger I took a dumb shot at a doe that was on a dead run across the power lines.At around 40 yrds I was following her in my sight and led her a bit and let it rip.She did a flip and never moved.Luck,skill I dont know because I would not take the chance on that shot again.

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4011
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/10 14:09:08 (permalink)
    30 yards is about my max I am comfortable with but to be honest, most of the places I hunt I would be lucky to stretch a shot 20 yards based on the cover.  I see the biggest and best in the thicker cover and it has seemed to work out the last few years for me.

carpin06
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 498
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/10 17:16:26 (permalink)
    Imagine the number of people watching that bull$hit that don't know any better,the new hunter's that want to try it!!!!
    I'm with eye's i hunt the thick stuff.. 15 or 20yrd's
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/07/11 00:03:53 (permalink)
    Closer the better.  30 yards is good, 20 yards is better.  If I draw and there is a chance that the stabilizer is going to bump the deer, that's the best!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Shooting into the abyss?? 2007/08/05 06:37:13 (permalink)
      Your max distance has alot to do with the equipment you are using and the poundage you are pulling. Some of the older slower bows really start to loose their hitting power after 25-30yds.
      When we went mule deer hunting we had to extend our comfort zone out to 45 yds, crank the poundage up to 70 and use a little bigger broad head to help carry kinetic energy down range.
      I personally wouldn't feel comfortable in the whitetail woods shooting over 30 yds. Although I did take a poke at a couple turkey at 40 yrds once.
      I know I would like to hunt where they produce these tv shows. Always seem to be on private land. They don't film too many shows up here in amish country.

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

Jump to: