Need Some Help

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/14 17:02:58 (permalink)

Need Some Help

I need some help in finding out the worth of a old fly reel I purchased today at a sale I was at. It was in a box lot and it was really the only thing I wanted in the lot - heck I only paid $10.00 for the lot. So far I cannot find out very much about it other than C.Farlow reels were made in the late 1800's to early 1900's and were a competitor to Hardy. I have found pictures of other C. Farlow reels but none that look like the one I purchased. I guess what I'm asking is does anyone have a good web site that I can go to to find out what it's worth? Perhaps a site that offers appraisals based on a picture or two. Or perhaps any ideas of how I can find out it's worth. Below are some pics of it. Thanks for any help you can send my way.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

7 Replies Related Threads

Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Need Some Help 2009/02/14 20:22:46 (permalink)
    What is the small emblem under spool axle ? and a better shot of serial # on the foot
    You can google R W Summers Rods. Get a hold oh him and he should be helpful
    post edited by Flyguy638 - 2009/02/14 20:27:20
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Need Some Help 2009/02/14 20:54:24 (permalink)
    Flyguy - Here is a picture of the emblem on another reel that I found on the web - not the same reel though but of another type of Farlow. The emblem on my reel is worn a bit.

Here is the one on my reel:

Here is a picture of the serial number:

Thanks for asking - Got any ideas?

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Need Some Help 2009/02/14 23:54:00 (permalink)
    You can research the reel in Flyrods and their makers by Keene, or just about any antique fishing equipment dealers book.  Your Farlow is a fairly early one and the line is definately not original.  There is an active market for farlows among collectors.  But as with any collectables; newness = value.  If yours still had the box or the bag that some came with the value would go up.  There are many variables in pricing an old reel.  I'd hesitiate to give a value over a public forum.  If Marty Keene is still alive he would be the best person to contact or to sell to.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Need Some Help 2009/02/15 04:50:13 (permalink)
    Flyguy and Insquiz - thanks so much for the info. I enjoy going to sales and trying to get my hands on old flyfishing equipment. When I saw this one - I kind of knew that it was a collectable but had never heard of a Farlow reel. Like many of us -I knew of Hardy and this kind of looked like an early Hardy. Then when I came home and started to look it up I really could not find anything about it. I plan on going to a Barnes and Noble today and doing some research. FlyGuy - I plan on sending R.W. Summers an e-mail about it. Indsguiz - I took the line off of it last night because I didn't really think it looked good on it. It was a Scientific Anglers line. There was no box or bag with the reel. I'll be looking up Keene to see if they can help. Hey - thanks again guys for the info. I really appreciate the help. If anyone else has any info to throw my way on this one, I'd appreciate it.
    post edited by steely34 - 2009/02/15 04:51:08

John Gierach

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Need Some Help 2009/02/15 09:09:56 (permalink)
    Looks like someone took a hacksaw to the frame???
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    RE: Need Some Help 2009/02/15 10:59:33 (permalink)
    Your right Dano - I got some replies from another forum I was on and they said the same thing. Apparently they did this in the early 1900's so that they could palm the spool with their finger since the drag is not adjustable. They all said that it is a collectable though. It just kind of sucks that the rim was cut though. Of Well.

John Gierach

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Need Some Help 2009/02/16 00:15:33 (permalink)
    Steely 34,
        Sometimes the reel would get dropped and the frame would get bent and people would do that same cutting  for cosmetic reasons.  While it definately affects the "collector value" it doesn't change the fact that you've got a working antique reel that would look neat on an equally old rod.  If it was me I'd keep it and find a rod for it and then be prepared for the million questions you would get along the creeks.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: