Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/09 09:54:51 (permalink)

Summer on the Juniata

This summer, I have the opportunity to do a week long camping trip canoeing/kayaking down the Juniata from Raystown to...well, I'm not sure.  However far we get in a week's time.  While nothing's set in stone, it'd take an awful lot to get me to pass up this trip.

So, my question for you guys is this: for a week of fishing the Juniata in June, what kind of flies would you recommend?

31 Replies Related Threads

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2583
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 09:56:27 (permalink)
    I have always had luck with wooly buggers, olive or black, with beadheads, as well as streamers...

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 10:01:48 (permalink)
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/store.asp?EAN=9780977980598&distance=2&zipcode=15601

Juniata River of sorrows. I just finished reading this book. Guy floated the entire J smallie fishin, wasn't fly fishing but it gives great insight on fishing spots and boating trouble spots. 1 chapter is about a stretch of river and the next goes into history etc. of the area. The history went a little far for my liking at times but the book was a good read. I stumbled upon it while looking for info on floating the J myself.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 10:05:07 (permalink)
    Woah!  Fast replies!

Sure, I'll definitely give your hellgrammite a try, anadromus.  You can either post it, PM it, or email it (hydrospanner@gmail.com).

In June, am I looking at smallies?  Any trout?  Any other species of fish I should keep in mind too?

King, I'll be going with, among others, the guy that was my scout leader when I was in Boy Scouts. That exact book it what inspired him to make this trip as opposed to a similar Potomac river trip.

I'd rather catch Juniata fish than snakeheads anyway.
    post edited by Cold - 2009/02/09 10:06:47
    kingnuke32
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1863
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 10:28:21 (permalink)

As long as he is not your scout leader.

Mostly smallies in June. When I have been there I have seen plenty of Carp as well as a few Muskies. Never caught a trout in the J. The Lil J as everyone knows is a different story.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 10:40:04 (permalink)
    As long as he is not your scout leader.

Heh, no, actually, this guy is one of the few people that I can say with all confidence is a complete class act, and a great role model in every aspect of his life.

Anyway,

Buggers: No problem.  I can currently tie em up in black, white, olive, red, yellow, purple, flo. orange, olive flash, wine, black flash, and olive variegated.

Streamers: I'm equipped to turn out: Zonkers (white, olive, flo. chart, red, and purple), clousers (white, black, flo. chart, yellow, orange, blue), mickey finn/black nose dace style bucktails (same as clousers, obviously).

RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 10:47:19 (permalink)
    I've done well with the Clousers on the J, as well as many other smalljaw waters.  I have been looking for a good hellgrammite pattern for years, but to no avail.  Nothing seems to work like the real thing... 

"Part of being a Leftist is the smug conviction that you and people like you are smart, while everyone else is stupid and/or evil"
    - T. Fleming
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 11:00:07 (permalink)
    white and chartruese clousers. .. size 6.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 11:00:37 (permalink)
    red eyes on those clousers. 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 11:18:11 (permalink)
    wht/chrt clousers w/ redeye.  Got it.

I've got an extra spool that I'm thinking of getting a slow sink tip line for.  Would this see any use on the J?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 11:23:01 (permalink)
    Depends on how deep you're fishing.   Most places a floating line will do.  Most of the areas from raystown to lewistown, a floating line will be fine.  A sinker can benefit but it's a pain changing.  Since you'll be canoeing, I'd stick with a floater. 

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 11:35:05 (permalink)
    Good deal.

Craw patterns: some are simple, general suggestive patterns as simple as a brown/orange woolly bugger, others are ridiculously realistic patterns that should come as a model kit and look like thell crawl off your hook...where do you guys find a middle ground?
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 14:24:29 (permalink)
    Almost forgot: Any crappie/perch to speak of in the J?
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2985
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 16:38:19 (permalink)
    I've never fished that water but I do frequent the Allegheny below Warren, PA and the two flies that get beat up on are a #6 weighted black bugger. It makes a great hellgie pattern. Some have red barbell eyes for added weight. The other pattern is a #4 green and chartreuse clouser.  
    Something I found out about not too long ago while fishing Oil Creek is that smallies do have a thing for blue and pink. They seemed to take a liking to some of my steelhead streamers.

Gone Fishing
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6355
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 18:44:49 (permalink)
    If you get too far down the "J" there is some very fast water down in the narrows below Lewistown.  Some of the best places for smallies and the occasional walleye is on the slack side of some of the rocks crossing the river.  Be careful!  Some places the "J" cna go from ankle deep to holy carp! in just a few feet.
        Smallie, walleye, cats, and if you look carefully at the points where small spring streams feed in: trout.  It's also nice to get out and explore some of those unaccessible side creeks for trout.  And for them just tie up some mosquitos or sow bugs and have a blast.  Stay off the islands and watch out for Joe-no-shoulders.  There used to be some rather good pot crops being grown on some of the islands. (but that's only hearsay)  LOL!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 19:58:53 (permalink)
    Indy, sow bugs...those are scuds?  I've never tied any before, but now I might have to learn how to tie some!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 21:44:33 (permalink)
    Scuds, hares ear nymphs, any thing small 14-16 and dull in color.  A small glue egg or very small yarn egg will do wonders.

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 23:18:13 (permalink)
    Corn and a loaf of bread......

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 23:20:29 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Stay off the islands and watch out for Joe-no-shoulders.  There used to be some rather good pot crops being grown on some of the islands. (but that's only hearsay)  LOL!

Hey keep of my island intended for "medicial" research!

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/09 23:42:07 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mountian Man

ORIGINAL: indsguiz

Stay off the islands and watch out for Joe-no-shoulders.  There used to be some rather good pot crops being grown on some of the islands. (but that's only hearsay)  LOL!

Hey keep of my island intended for "medicial" research!

Would that be Phelps Island ??????

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/10 07:53:54 (permalink)
    cold,
        Be sure you drift the Raystown branch from the dam down.  2 years ago it was loaded with smallies and nice browns. esp about 1/2 way to the main Juniata next to the cliffs.  Fish a black  bug fairly deep.  My buddy tied something he called a muddler leech, muddler body with about a 2" black leech tail.    Really effective.  Since I don't tie I have no idea what the thing really was. 

fishmonger
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 435
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/10 11:14:26 (permalink)
    Cold,

I fish the Newton Hamilton area quite a bit. Black buggers, black zonkers, and black stone flies (big) have worked well for me. Floating patterns such as crickets and poppers will do the trick also. You may be surpised to pick up some trout, especially around where stocked streams dump into the river. Indy is right about the varying depths. We wade with shorts and sneakers, and I have had to swim for it more than once. You can also pick up some nice walleyes. The seem to take white stuff more often. Have a great trip! Take a lot of bug repellant!

Fishmonger
    RIZ
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 915
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/10 11:21:53 (permalink)
    where are you camping.  most of the junie is private property, even the islands.  so ask for permission before setting up camp.
    RhnstnCowboy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/10 11:25:47 (permalink)
    There are a ton of places to camp on the Juniata:

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/watertrails/juniata/juniata_lower/juniata_lower_guide_map.pdf

- T. Fleming
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/10 11:38:29 (permalink)
    Corn and a loaf of bread......

Not unless you provide me with a tying pattern for it.  Really, though, I dont want to catch the types of fish normally caught with that kind of bait...they're...like pigs with gills...

My buddy tied something he called a muddler leech, muddler body with about a 2" black leech tail.    Really effective.  Since I don't tie I have no idea what the thing really was.

I've got a pretty good idea of what he had going on...what size?

especially around where stocked streams dump into the river

I'll have to read up on which streams those are and where they're located...

Indy is right about the varying depths. We wade with shorts and sneakers, and I have had to swim for it more than once. You can also pick up some nice walleyes. The seem to take white stuff more often.

Good stuff!  I'd imagine the walleye hang near the bottom of deep holes, and along the cliffs?

It's looking like Buggers, zonkers, and clousers in black, white, and olive, with special colors for certain ones mixed in (chart clousers, maybe brown/orange buggers...blue & pink zonkers...maybe some purple).  Also a good, fast to tie crayfish pattern.  Sizes from 10 or 12 up to about 4.

This might be the first trip that I bring my tying stuff along!

Take a lot of bug repellant!

Ugh...maybe I'll look for some of those bog repellent shirts for a decent price.  I hate using DEET based repellent both for health and fishing reasons, not to mention that it's murder on a fly line.  If I'm in a canoe, I might keep a little coffee can with some smoldering embers for a bit of smoke, but I dont want that on a 'yak with me!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/10 12:47:04 (permalink)
    cold,
        Try Skin so soft hand cream.  For some reason the bugs hate it!  Used to use it all the time in Canada.  Haven't had to use it in years though.  Now it seems my Old Spice keeps them away, don't know why.  But I did have a mosquito bit me on Elk last year right after I took my medicine.  It didn't realy fly away it just sort of wandered to the edge of my hand and did a nose dive into the river.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/10 13:06:05 (permalink)
    I must be part bug, I hate S^3 as much as they do!  Odd you should mention the old spice, tho, as the guy organizing this trip swears by aqua velva for bug repellent.  In my experience, it works  for dissuading mosquitos from biting, but not much else.

I think what I really need is some of your medicine!
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/10 16:36:45 (permalink)

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/13 14:43:25 (permalink)
    M^2, Any recipe?  or just pics?  Maybe I'll tie a half-dozen of each, just in case I end up on a school of the uglies...
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    RE: Summer on the Juniata 2009/02/13 18:35:21 (permalink)
    Tying the Bread Fly:

Attach white thread on the hook shank just before the bend. Tie in a length of white synthetic (Glo-bug) yarn. Wrap a base of thread forward to just behind the eye of the hook. Now wrap the yarn forward forming a “body” and tie it in just behind the hook eye. Pull the tag end of the yarn back over the body forming a “wing” and apply several wraps of thread over the yarn just behind the eye of the hook. This will build a “head” which will help hold the “wing” down over the body. This step helps to make the fly a little bit more aerodynamic! Trim the “wing” to just behind the bend of the hook. Tie off the thread and trim. Apply a coat of cement to the head to secure the wraps. This fly will initially float, but as it becomes saturated it will sink very slowly. It has been effective for me on the surface as well as sinking slowly through the water column.

Got this of the web

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to: