fly lines

Author
unionctiy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2009/02/08 03:41:06 (permalink)

fly lines

ok, ready to make the switch to fly fishing for steelhead, and as a newbie, I have a few questions about the many fly lines out there. Is a double taper the best for the beginner? Looking at these lines, seems most stores in Erie carry weight forward. What's the difference for ease of casting? All the fishermen I see seem to just use a roll cast and drift, roll cast and drift method of presentation, so is the line type really that important? Also, instead of piling on a ton of split shots on faster current days, would a sinking tip fly line be useful (even in slower current days) to get the fly down quicker? What about the weighted tippets I've seen advertised at Cabellas? One last question, is backing just a spool filler and is it necessary? Thanks for any help.

2 Replies Related Threads

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: fly lines 2009/02/08 04:10:19 (permalink)
    I would stick to a WF or DT floating line.....period.  DT roll casts well and has a longer life.   WF is much more versatile and will cast well with any method.  I prefer WFF for just about any PA trout/steelhead fishing. 

Sinktip lines are very hard to fish with nymphs and not really neccessary here in PA.  The excess drag created by the fly-line is tremedous and will create problems for all but the best anglers.  Also, strike detection becomes more difficult.  For fishing streamers a sinktip will work well, but for nymphs in PA; floating line willl always get the nod IMO. 

Backing is technically a spool filler, but is a requirement for steelhead fishing.  The backing will help you acheive maximum retrieval rates while making sure you can handle a hot run from a steelie.  Spend the $5 and put some backing on your reel.

indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6360
    RE: fly lines 2009/02/08 08:21:02 (permalink)
    Unioncity,
         Don't get carried away by all the really expensive lines out there.  Most of your steelhead fishing will be of the toss and drag variety. (not many caught on dry flies) so just get yourself some cheap stuff than you can drag a suckerspawn thru a hole and use it (In an appropriate weight).  It's going to get cut up on stones sooner or later.
      I agree with essox  get a good wf, or dt line and/or don't forget the basic level line.  That way if the first 2-3 feet of your line gets nicked, just cut it away and re-rig.  Like I've said before I'm cheap and it ain't rocket science fishing for steelhead. 
        Get to the point where you feel comfortable with your rig before you go spending big money.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: